Cracks in Door Handles - Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 08:02 AM Thread Starter

Cracks in Door Handles

I recently saw a post about small cracks in the underside of the exterior door handles. One owner reported 3 of 4 with cracks, the second had all four handles cracked. I tried searching both places for door handles and cracks but cannot find the post (with pictures) anywhere. There is some mention of the same issue on the UK Forum.

I checked my door handles yesterday when I thought about it and sure enough I have one door handle that has the crack in it. I couldn't get a decent picture of it, but it is a semi-circular crack, close to the center on the underside lip of the door handle. It hasn't caused me any issues, but on the UK forum it was mentioned as a possible cause of sticking handles that prevent retraction/extension.

Anyone else?
jsimon7777 and LauderdaleFE like this.

Last edited by Dantrium; 05-22-2019 at 08:05 AM.
post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dantrium View Post
I recently saw a post about small cracks in the underside of the exterior door handles. One owner reported 3 of 4 with cracks, the second had all four handles cracked. I tried searching both places for door handles and cracks but cannot find the post (with pictures) anywhere. There is some mention of the same issue on the UK Forum.

I checked my door handles yesterday when I thought about it and sure enough I have one door handle that has the crack in it. I couldn't get a decent picture of it, but it is a semi-circular crack, close to the center on the underside lip of the door handle. It hasn't caused me any issues, but on the UK forum it was mentioned as a possible cause of sticking handles that prevent retraction/extension.

Anyone else?
Yes, I had this on my first I-Pace and door handles for stuck and would pop when retracting. I just picked up my replacement I-Pace but haven't checked the door handles. Slipped my mind.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 09:39 AM

Yep, mine are cracked.

Jeff in Denver
'19 Jaguar I-Pace First Edition
'03 Porsche 911 Turbo 6MT X50
'74 Alfa Romeo Spider
'17 Volvo XC90 Inscription - Wife's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 04:39 AM

I felt under my door handles. What it seemed to me were complete circular slightly raised borders around an area (or maybe a slightly depressed area making the border different) that I'm guessing had been sealed over with a heated plastic or was some trim left after an extrusion slag was cut, but not quite flush.

It did not seem like a crack, but a fabrication residue, for a cover of likely an internal vertical cylindrical hole in the handle, where the hardware connecting the handle to the mechanism is seated.

Or is this different from what others are describing?

2019 I-Pace 400EV HSE First Edition
Corris Grey - Ebony/Ebony
Delivered 2/22/19
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 06:16 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauderdaleFE View Post
I felt under my door handles. What it seemed to me were complete circular slightly raised borders around an area (or maybe a slightly depressed area making the border different) that I'm guessing had been sealed over with a heated plastic or was some trim left after an extrusion slag was cut, but not quite flush.

It did not seem like a crack, but a fabrication residue, for a cover of likely an internal vertical cylindrical hole in the handle, where the hardware connecting the handle to the mechanism is seated.

Or is this different from what others are describing?
Not mine, but this is a picture of the problem and it doesn’t seem to be isolated, just unrecognized due to the location of the crack
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	B38E080E-6C4E-4E58-B6C4-922E0404C514_1558692979776.jpeg
Views:	205
Size:	266.4 KB
ID:	1753  
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 10:45 AM

Mine are not cracked.

Photon FE, 2013 FR-S, 2017 RAM 1500, 2014 Forester
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 11:22 AM

Garage
I had to have the covers replaced on the driver side (my dog REALLY wanted into the car one day when he was scared). The first time the body shop tried to paint them (before mounting on the car of course) one of them shattered. They are apparently REALLY fragile.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dantrium View Post
Not mine, but this is a picture of the problem and it doesn’t seem to be isolated, just unrecognized due to the location of the crack

Ok, that's not what I felt, and I didn't feel anything like that on my four door handles.

Thanks for the helpful picture. I wonder if they are coming already cracked from the install or develop the cracks with use?

I hope if I don't have them now I don't develop them later. I will take an actual look now to see if there is any visual evidence that is too flush to feel.

2019 I-Pace 400EV HSE First Edition
Corris Grey - Ebony/Ebony
Delivered 2/22/19

Last edited by LauderdaleFE; 05-24-2019 at 12:51 PM.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 01:33 PM

Mine doesnt have cracks either, early Jan 19 production run. But then again I have never left it out in the cold in freezing temperatures. Could water/ice have anything to do with it?
squishball likes this.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberSlug View Post
I had to have the covers replaced on the driver side (my dog REALLY wanted into the car one day when he was scared). The first time the body shop tried to paint them (before mounting on the car of course) one of them shattered. They are apparently REALLY fragile.
You should share the whole dog story. It's hilarious.

Photon FE, 2013 FR-S, 2017 RAM 1500, 2014 Forester

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page