Blank screens radio won’t shut off - Page 3 - Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 39 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 06:56 PM
Ain

I picked up my 2020 I-Pace just this weekend and after setting up the various connected features and accounts - InControl, HERE maps, Live Apps, etc...things started to act up and the screens went black at around 150 miles and 48 hours of ownership.

Iím a little suspicious that all the demo cars at the dealership seem to be working better and I canít think that Jaguar would roll cars off the production line with known immediate failures. Since my infotainment problems started after setting up all the other connected features, the locked up infotainment may have just been a mix of software glitches.

Thanks to others on this forum, I did go look at TOPIx and confirmed all the fuses needed to reset all the related modules AND found a way to verify if current drain is going on - which it was. This seems like the infotainment modules have crashed, but have not shutdown. Not a good situation to be in since they could then drain the battery. You can confirm things are "running" if the hazard button light is illuminated still after the car has been locked and sitting for more than 20 minutes (mine was running all day even though it was "off" and it consumed 4% of battery). After I rebooted the modules - no more battery drain from the hung infotainment modules!

The forum won't allow anything but really tiny PDFs, so here's an attempt at a 3-page PNG with the reboot procedure I put together. It worked for me and avoided bringing the car into the dealer with less than 200 miles and only owning it for a few days. Annoying, BUT way less than going to the dealer for a simple reboot and having to leave the car for a few days.

After reboot, I also deleted the smart profile I had made, along with logging out of the Live app stuff. I wasn't planning to use a lot of this stuff anyway beyond CarPlay, so this will be fine for me until future updates if it ensures the infotainment is a little less buggy.

Hope this can help someone else avoid a trip to the dealer for a simple restart.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Touch Pro Duo Field Reboot (1:3).jpg
Views:	64
Size:	119.8 KB
ID:	1977   Click image for larger version

Name:	Touch Pro Duo Field Reboot (2:3).jpg
Views:	63
Size:	112.6 KB
ID:	1981   Click image for larger version

Name:	Touch Pro Duo Field Reboot (3:3).jpg
Views:	59
Size:	112.6 KB
ID:	1983  
ryzvy, drscott and PGhiron like this.
post #22 of 39 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 07:11 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ain View Post
I picked up my 2020 I-Pace just this weekend and after setting up the various connected features and accounts - InControl, HERE maps, Live Apps, etc...things started to act up and the screens went black at around 150 miles and 48 hours of ownership.

I’m a little suspicious that all the demo cars at the dealership seem to be working better and I can’t think that Jaguar would roll cars off the production line with known immediate failures. Since my infotainment problems started after setting up all the other connected features, the locked up infotainment may have just been a mix of software glitches.

Thanks to others on this forum, I did go look at TOPIx and confirmed all the fuses needed to reset all the related modules AND found a way to verify if current drain is going on - which it was. This seems like the infotainment modules have crashed, but have not shutdown. Not a good situation to be in since they could then drain the battery. You can confirm things are "running" if the hazard button light is illuminated still after the car has been locked and sitting for more than 20 minutes (mine was running all day even though it was "off" and it consumed 4% of battery). After I rebooted the modules - no more battery drain from the hung infotainment modules!

The forum won't allow anything but really tiny PDFs, so here's an attempt at a 3-page PNG with the reboot procedure I put together. It worked for me and avoided bringing the car into the dealer with less than 200 miles and only owning it for a few days. Annoying, BUT way less than going to the dealer for a simple reboot and having to leave the car for a few days.

After reboot, I also deleted the smart profile I had made, along with logging out of the Live app stuff. I wasn't planning to use a lot of this stuff anyway beyond CarPlay, so this will be fine for me until future updates if it ensures the infotainment is a little less buggy.

Hope this can help someone else avoid a trip to the dealer for a simple restart.
Great info! Thank you!
post #23 of 39 (permalink) Old 06-28-2019, 10:17 AM

Quote:

The forum won't allow anything but really tiny PDFs, so here's an attempt at a 3-page PNG with the reboot procedure I put together. It worked for me and avoided bringing the car into the dealer with less than 200 miles and only owning it for a few days. Annoying, BUT way less than going to the dealer for a simple reboot.

Thanks for the post! Unfortunately, this process didn't work for me. I followed the instructions twice last night and the touchscreens are still black. Prior to pulling the fuses the screens had a slightly bluish hue as if there was power going to them but afterwards the screens were completely dark. The hazard button is still illuminated so there is a battery drain happening. I kept the car plugged in to avoid killing the 12V battery per the instructions.

Will bring the car into the shop today. I have less than 900 miles on the I-Pace and this is my third trip to the service department. I plan to begin the process of declaring it a lemon and get rid of it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 39 (permalink) Old 06-28-2019, 10:37 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurtSprings View Post
Quote:

The forum won't allow anything but really tiny PDFs, so here's an attempt at a 3-page PNG with the reboot procedure I put together. It worked for me and avoided bringing the car into the dealer with less than 200 miles and only owning it for a few days. Annoying, BUT way less than going to the dealer for a simple reboot.

Thanks for the post! Unfortunately, this process didn't work for me. I followed the instructions twice last night and the touchscreens are still black. Prior to pulling the fuses the screens had a slightly bluish hue as if there was power going to them but afterwards the screens were completely dark. The hazard button is still illuminated so there is a battery drain happening. I kept the car plugged in to avoid killing the 12V battery per the instructions.

Will bring the car into the shop today. I have less than 900 miles on the I-Pace and this is my third trip to the service department. I plan to begin the process of declaring it a lemon and get rid of it.
Pulling the fuses did not work for me either. I also disconnected the 12v battery and let it sit for a couple hours. That didn’t work either. However, the next day every thing began working as suddenly as they had had stopped
post #25 of 39 (permalink) Old 06-28-2019, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dantrium View Post

Pulling the fuses did not work for me either. I also disconnected the 12v battery and let it sit for a couple hours. That didn’t work either. However, the next day every thing began working as suddenly as they had had stopped
If it were only my wife and I in the car I could live with the unpredictability. Yesterday we had our 2 toddler grandkids with us in 93į weather so the day-to-day unreliability is a huge problem.
post #26 of 39 (permalink) Old 06-28-2019, 12:43 PM

Its interesting my car was put away for 3 weeks and it was in "off" mode. When I started the car everything started but I got the dreaded blank screens. I drove 5 seconds, turned it off and the Jaguar sign off splash appeared. I started the car again immediately and the displays were blank. I started driving and 20 seconds later everything booted and worked.

Whatever software issue this is is a huge problem.
post #27 of 39 (permalink) Old 06-28-2019, 02:47 PM
Ain

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurtSprings View Post

Granted, playing QA engineer for Jaguar can suck a little...but the only other tweak to my process might be to try the unmarked fuses too (there are two that are not called out in the owner's manual or the diagram I found on TOPIx). These are fuses 6 and 16 which I did check to ensure they were intact when I was pulling the "known" ones. They're marked in blue on the attached diagram.

Other tweak might be to not keep the car plugged in while pulling the fuses in case something is kept "alive" during the charge cycle that prevented the reboot.

If you happen to give it another try before bringing it back to the dealer and have any success, let me know and I can update my document.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ScreenRebootFuses-Marked2.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	105.8 KB
ID:	1995  
post #28 of 39 (permalink) Old 06-28-2019, 02:53 PM
Ain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dantrium View Post
Similar thing on my side... I had also tried the 12v battery disconnect before the fuse process worked for me - granted at the time I hadn't found the hazard light check and I only had the 12v battery disconnected for about 10 min during the first time. The interesting thing about the 12v battery is that I used a multimeter and found the pos/neg leads STILL HAD 12v across them, even with the 12v battery disconnected.

There's some other part of the power system that's keeping things hot either by powering the 12v system, or requiring the 20 minutes to discharge/shutdown. Part of the reason I was happy to find the illuminated hazard light test in the TOPIx docs. It seemed to be a good indicator that the 12v system had actually discharged or shut down completely when it finally turned off.
post #29 of 39 (permalink) Old 06-29-2019, 10:30 AM

Blank screen after charging 100%

Also, car had just been returned from service for the re-gen recall. However it worked fine that day, drove it home, plugged it up, next day the blank screens. I try not to charge to full, have probably only 2 or 3 times before. Never have really waited for screens to come on line before putting car in reverse. Iíve read others that have felt that was a problem.

Guess I might just wait a couple days, since itís weekend and dealer is closed anyway. Maybe it will just start as it has for others. I donít really want to start pulling fuses. I also hav the waning flasher light on constantly, but to be honest canít remember if it was on when I unplugged it this mourning. But itís on now.
post #30 of 39 (permalink) Old 06-29-2019, 12:42 PM

Didnít work for me either. So I pulled the additional two fuses, (only 2 left in panel, might as well pull them) Iím waiting the 20 minutes now, but the emergency flasher is still on.

Last edited by markgroce; 06-29-2019 at 12:47 PM.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page