Blank screens radio won’t shut off - Page 2 - Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum
 6Likes
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 05:22 PM Thread Starter

Just as they suddenly stopped working, they started working! Went to work this morning, car was still screwed up. Left work 8+ hours later and the screens came on, but all settings had reverted to factory presets.

A few short trips later (one to several miles) with the car shut down each time and everything restored to my personalized settings save for the trip and Eco data history. InControl reconnected and shows every trip, including those done while the system was on the fritz. Truly bizarre!
squishball likes this.
post #12 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dantrium View Post
Just as they suddenly stopped working, they started working! Went to work this morning, car was still screwed up. Left work 8+ hours later and the screens came on, but all settings had reverted to factory presets.

A few short trips later (one to several miles) with the car shut down each time and everything restored to my personalized settings save for the trip and Eco data history. InControl reconnected and shows every trip, including those done while the system was on the fritz. Truly bizarre!
I had the same issue after a week with the car. Screens went blank, but not completely off. If I watched carefully, the upper screen had a faint glow indicating that it was not completely dead... I found the post that suggested to make a call, though as for you, none of the buttons gave any indication of working. But out of pure frustration, I pushed the “talk to” button, threw out some commands and then pushed the “call” button. And voila. Screens back on. Unfortunately this was on a Saturday, and I was not able to receive and start a SOTA update since it was outside my dealerships opening hours. The screens was alive for two days. Then back to square one. And THEN I pulled the gray cable connector in the fuse box in the rear compartment for a few seconds, ending with some nasty noises upon reconnecting. But now the upper screen went black again., and I had an error message stating “hybrid battery error” something...

So if you haven’t already, and don’t want to drive a 500 miles return trip, get your dealer to push the necessary updates as a SOTA. In my case, the rescue was calling Jaguar Assistanse, the service came with the car as a three year free subscription here in Norway. That worked flawlessly, then arranged a pickup of my car, provided a loaner from a car rental, and returned the car from my dealership on Monday after the car had its updates on Friday. So now I crossing fingers that the 19A update and whatever else they did, keeps it alive for the future 🤔
post #13 of 39 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 04:32 PM

Garage
I finally had this happy to me in a way that I can't recover it. The screen are completely blank (not even the backlight is on, and very curiously, the nav map in the instrument cluster comes up almost instantly, with traffic data. It makes me think that it isn't even trying to boot the other systems, so the nav is able to boot very quickly.

For those that this has happened to (where the backlight isn't even on and the right side controls on the steering wheel don't work), were you able to fix it using any of the steps from the JLR troubleshooting process?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 39 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 06:42 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberSlug View Post
I finally had this happy to me in a way that I can't recover it. The screen are completely blank (not even the backlight is on, and very curiously, the nav map in the instrument cluster comes up almost instantly, with traffic data. It makes me think that it isn't even trying to boot the other systems, so the nav is able to boot very quickly.

For those that this has happened to (where the backlight isn't even on and the right side controls on the steering wheel don't work), were you able to fix it using any of the steps from the JLR troubleshooting process?
As above, I pulled all fuses and disconnected the 12v battery and left it unhooked for an hour or so. I hooked everything back up without change. The car sat overnight, fully charged and still no change. Drove the 2 miles to work, the car sat outside all day without being plugged in. When I left work, the screens came back on!

BTW - if your radio is blasting, as mine was, I figured out how to get it to shut up by changing the source using the instrument panel cluster options
post #15 of 39 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 02:21 PM

Garage
This morning the lower screen came back to life, giving me limited control over climate, media player, and phone. The fan/seat climate adjustment still didn't work, and temps were in Celsius instead of Fahrenheit, but it was something. Did a slow drive around Alameda, then did some grocery shopping. When I came back out (~15m), everything was back to normal.
post #16 of 39 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Closest dealer is ~250 miles away.
Egads. You must have *really* wanted this car.
post #17 of 39 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 05:55 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOLTSLA View Post
Quote:
Closest dealer is ~250 miles away.
Egads. You must have *really* wanted this car.
Well, when you live where I do, that’s the only option for any of the ‘premium’ brands except for Porsche, Audi and Cadillac.

I should add, that until I bought a BEV, it really wasn’t a big deal as it is less than a 3.5 hours drive. In days past making the trip even at the last minute was never an issue and I never gave it much thought...of course that is no longer true with the I-Pace

Last edited by Dantrium; 06-09-2019 at 05:59 PM.
post #18 of 39 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 10:40 PM

I had a blank screens incident this evening. After stopping at a store, I got back in, and drove away. The screens in the center were blank and stayed that way. I went through a drive-thru and shut it down briefly while waiting in line. That didn't help. Drove on and after a few minutes they came to life. Continued on for quite a distance and then decided to have navigation plot a route to a store. Just after pressing "start" for the route, navigation decided to reboot and knew nothing about the route it just plotted.

I'm fairly sure this originates as a "timing error." It has only happened when I quickly press the start button after getting in the car, and quickly press the brake and start button after that to start the motors, then driving off. A slower sequence of events such as getting in the car, pressing start, waiting for the screens to light up while I fastened seat belt, gave phone one last check, then pressing brake and start button seems to work better.

The navigation reboot is a complete mystery.
post #19 of 39 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 01:56 AM

My sales rep, who knew siht about the car, had one message: never ever put it in Drive before all the screens are up. I have always followed that advice, though sometimes it does test my patience, and I've never had a blank screen. Also, 18D seems to be the least buggy of the lot.
deafsoundguy likes this.
post #20 of 39 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sciencegeek View Post
My sales rep, who knew siht about the car, had one message: never ever put it in Drive before all the screens are up. I have always followed that advice, though sometimes it does test my patience, and I've never had a blank screen. Also, 18D seems to be the least buggy of the lot.
I received the same advise and it's usually successful but yesterday my nav locked up twice while loading a route. Weird. Waiting for the screens to manage before putting the car into gear seems to work though.
epirali likes this.