Would you return your I-Pace? - Page 3 - Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum
 86Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 112 (permalink) Old 02-04-2019, 12:42 PM

Keep Keep Keep.

Electric steering wheel is more or less an American thing and not so important elsewhere. But of course I see this being an advantage if people struggle getting in and out of the car. There is some issues with this car yes, but there is some issues with every car and usually always issues with the first series of a new car line coming out, thats just rule of thumb.

However all of this said, I still feel like the European models have less issues (or fixed them better) then the North American models based on what I am reading throughout the world. I have not read any negative review on anything in Norway and there is a fair bit of them on the road now here. Just my kindergarten parking lot with capacity for 20 has 4 identical IPaces (HSE, Corris Grey) lined up every day, mine being one of them.
post #22 of 112 (permalink) Old 02-04-2019, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dantrium View Post
To each is own for sure, but with all the cars you've owned I find it odd none of them had power adjustable tilt/telescopic wheel and you didn't find it useful. I can't remember the last car I owned (besides my Smart TwoFour) that didn't have it. I guess I haven't looked at every $90k car, but I can't recall any that I have looked at that lack those features...It is even found on the F Pace...

If I was to be contemptible, I could apply the same three comments to the thought of electrically adjustable seats, but I won't.

Suffice to say, with power adjustable steering wheel and seats, most smart manufacturers include a nifty feature that automatically moves the seat back and steering wheel up to improve entry/egress and moves it back to the precise place the detected driver left it. In those cars (including other JLR cars), the little memory button saves the mirror, steering wheel and seat positions. Maybe it is just one of those features, like HUD, that you don't really appreciate until you have it. Then again, maybe some people will never like it.
We have had power steering columns on several of our cars, including our current CT6. I simply don't use it after my initial setup. Even the rearview is automatic (digital).

Try this: Program your fob to ingress. Program Memory 3 to your preferred driving urban setting. Program 2 to your track position or spouse fob whichever is best for you.
So when you unlock, your seat is set for ingress. Then press 3 to configure your cruising position.

Jaguar had to make some engineering decisions:
1) Weight. The car is a porker. Notice it came in at about 700lb under the eTron, 600lb under the MX, roughly the same as the MS (except the MS has lacks some components like HUD, digital dampening system, long travel suspension, real 24 way leather seats).
2) Cost. "How do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time".

This is why a Tesla has few luxury features. Cost and weight.
NerdUno, ryzvy and phila like this.

Jaguar i-Pace FE Photon Red 20" wheels, "Leaper"
Two Chevrolet Volts in service
24.2 kW x 480v 3ph solar array self-installed.
post #23 of 112 (permalink) Old 02-04-2019, 01:22 PM

Quote:
There is a lot to like about the car, but it's not just the infotainment system that falls short of just about any other $90k car:

-manually adjustable steering wheel
-missing auto-adjust for ease of exit/entry
-flimsy hardshell cargo cover
-the flimsy, Geo Metro quality rearseat armrest/little bin
-no pass-thru in the rearseat for carrying long objects in the car
-front arm-rest storage bin is just one giant, cavernous bin. It would be more useful if it was a least a dual compartment like any other car I have owned in the last 20 years.
-cupholders suck...of course cupholders in most European cars suck compared to American/Japanese cars

even after almost 4000 miles, I run across something else that I just shake my head at...
But most of these things you mention are built into the car and you should have realized that when ordering or while inquiring at a dealer about the options. Like the adjustable steering wheel, no where is this an option to order hence not there.

The only thing that is not living up to standards for me is the infotainment system as this is not at the level it needs to be at but is still good enough in the long run, simply not for a 90k car. I still trust an update is coming which will improve things, just like Tesla did with their first ModelS

All of the other stuff I realized were never there and hence no point in mentioning them. But then again I had the luxury of borrowing an IPace for a weekend to play around with before making my decision, im assuming not many had that here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 112 (permalink) Old 02-04-2019, 01:34 PM

I actually did get to borrow one for a weekend - but it was a proto-type car so a lot of things weren't working properly anyway.

I was blown away by the driving dynamics and the silly torque and sort of overlooked a few other items.
post #25 of 112 (permalink) Old 02-04-2019, 01:43 PM

Garage
1000 miles in and it's still a keeper.
NerdUno likes this.

HSE | Caesium Blue/Siena Tan | 20" Style 5068 wheels | Received 01/09/2019
post #26 of 112 (permalink) Old 02-04-2019, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phila View Post

But most of these things you mention are built into the car and you should have realized that when ordering while inquiring at a dealer about the options. Like the adjustable steering wheel, no where is this an option to order hence not there.

The only thing that is not living up to standards for me is the infotainment system as this is not at the level it needs to be at but is still good enough in the long run, simply not for a 90k car. I still trust an update is coming which will improve things, just like Tesla did with their first ModelS

All of the other stuff I realized were never there and hence no point in mentioning them. But then again I had the luxury of borrowing an IPace for a weekend to play around with before making my decision, im assuming not many had that here.
It is so weird that I have reread what I wrote several times and still can’t find where I indicated I thought I bought a car with an power adjustable steering wheel only to discover it was missing later...
post #27 of 112 (permalink) Old 02-04-2019, 02:20 PM

Quote:
It is so weird that I have reread what I wrote several times and still can’t find where I indicated I thought I bought a car with an power adjustable steering wheel only to discover it was missing later...
Thats not the point im trying to make here, many of the things on your list are not malfunctioning, they are simply there by design. Whether a 90k car should have these or not can be argued but my point being that this stuff was communicated and visible in the car at all times or the information should be available from a dealer. If people arent happy with things on your list then great, but its never been an option with the IPace. Should some of those be an option, yes likely but as of today they arent.

Infotainment is an issue as it is not performing as expected for some and seems to be very inconsistent. That shouldnt be for a car in this price class, or any car for that matter. But infotainment is also the biggest complaint for all cars now a days if my statistics are correct
post #28 of 112 (permalink) Old 02-04-2019, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McRat View Post
We have had power steering columns on several of our cars, including our current CT6. I simply don't use it after my initial setup. Even the rearview is automatic (digital).

Try this: Program your fob to ingress. Program Memory 3 to your preferred driving urban setting. Program 2 to your track position or spouse fob whichever is best for you.
So when you unlock, your seat is set for ingress. Then press 3 to configure your cruising position.
I appreciate the tip, but of course that steering column doesn’t play, so really it’s only 1/2 of a work around. Also eliminates the ability to set up multiple profiles.

And yes, I completely understand that something has to ‘give’ if they want to keep the car affordable, so they can not load it with unlimited options. I’m just surprised/disappointed in some of the choices. But what I find useful, others don’t and vice versa.

Comparing feature for feature the car falls behind similarly priced ICEVs., but of course it leads in other areas and the value that comparison is widely varied between people, and that should be ok.

I would expect a vast majority of owners will say they are satisfied with their purchase, but there are bound to be some that are not. I think it is helpful for perspective buyers to hear from both groups. More information is better.
phil and sciencegeek like this.
post #29 of 112 (permalink) Old 02-04-2019, 02:30 PM

The interior is much nicer than an X3. The Jagura seats are far better, the acceleration is far stronger, and the handling is superior. It's also quieter. A loaded X5 50i is around 76k MSRP. A loaded iPace is 10k more MSRP, so you're paying maybe ~15k more out the door to get an EV that is, as a driver's car, superior. I'll take that trade happily.

The non-power wheel is a minor inconvenience. Would I prefer power? Sure. Does it really matter? Nah. The start time for nav and all that is insignificant to me. If the car can start, I don't care. The bugs with the screens haven't happened for me, so I can't complain. Really, I buy cars for how they drive and how they feel to sit in, and Jaguar has hit the ball out of the park with the I-Pace.
sciencegeek, ryzvy, dtgsrq and 1 others like this.
post #30 of 112 (permalink) Old 02-04-2019, 03:23 PM

Cancelled my order and will watch from the sidelines to see if they get the many issues, big and small, ironed out.