Traction Battery Fault, Wheels Locked Up - Page 5 - Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum
 29Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #41 of 65 (permalink) Old 01-17-2019, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SipherHex View Post
Car is unfixable. Dealer has a car on the lot, but has run out the time from Jaguar NA to do a dealer facilitated trade.

Now Jaguar NA needs to repurchase the vehicle. They need to contact their consumer affairs department to being the expected 2 week (!!) process.

None of this would have happened if the dealership had just traded the car at the first sign of trouble.

Livermore is the same dealer ownership as Jaguar Steven's Creek.

Avoid!
If the dealer was even halfway decent they would just assume the ownership risk from you and work it out with JLR NA. I cannot comprehend how they didn’t do that within days. A car that has a massive failure essentially leaving the lot from purchase should have been an obvious buy back. There are plenty of Photon Red FEs on the lot within driving distance of you. They should be able to give you one with out further delays
post #42 of 65 (permalink) Old 01-18-2019, 01:49 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sciencegeek View Post
Danm, so sorry to hear that! What a hassle. Yes I'm not impressed with the customer non-service. Didn't realize Livermore and Steven's Creek were the same owner. I first went to SC because they're closer to me but when I emailed the sales guy that I'm ready to order he didn't respond. So I went to Livermore. Bah.
Yep, Livermore, Stevens Creek and Jaguar San Francisco are all part of the Qvale Auto Group.
https://qvaleag.com/dealerships/

Jaguar Monterey or Jaguar Marin seems like next closest dealers in a separate group.

Dealer says they have a car on the lot reserved and waiting to replace mine, but have to wait on JLR NA to complete the repurchase. It's just comically bad.
post #43 of 65 (permalink) Old 01-18-2019, 11:58 AM

Different dealerships in the same auto group will have different managers, different staff, and different levels of service. I've been happy with my Livermore experience.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #44 of 65 (permalink) Old 01-18-2019, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the welcome. Just a busy guy, sorry for the delay in followup. Pics or it didn't happen for this crew, eh? See attached.

As to the sound, I thought the wheels had hit something. I'm not expecting tires to explode.

The car claimed to be in N, but the rear wheels did not roll. Front wheels did.

Jaguar Stevens Creek in San Jose is the dealer, you can see from the license plate. Update from them just today is they will replace the rear power distribution box and then continue testing. They're seeming to do well by my me at this point, just took a little longer to diagnose than they had expected having to bring in someone expertise as the service staff are not fully trained up yet.

I did use the integrated roadside assistance! They answered fairly shortly, but don't seem to have much info on which car you're calling from or be trained up much on the IPace. After I explained the experience and the warning message on the dash, the person suggested that 'I'll put your car backfired and now you have engine trouble.' Got that corrected.

Then tow company sent out a jumper truck at first rather than a flatbed, as they'd got the message that someone's 'battery had died.' A quick conversation with the driver and they got the flatbed ordered.

It was certainly disappointing. I've been looking forward to taking delivery very much, and the 18 mi I drove was unlike any other performance car I've driven before, including a Tesla. Much more satisfying than the short drives at the autocross-like event Jaguar held earlier in the year.

I hadn't found much info about similar issues, so seems like this is a pretty unique experience from what you guys know?
Sorry you are dealing with this comically bad situation. I have had a problem with touch screens going out twice, not as serious as your issue. BTW I like the red, I have your same color.
post #45 of 65 (permalink) Old 01-19-2019, 12:18 AM Thread Starter

Finally a glimmer of hope. The dealer will loan me my to-be replacement car until the repurchase with JLR NA completes and they can sell it to me. I pick it up tomorrow.

Can't wait to enjoy driving it again and seeing what it can do for range! My daily commute is >40mi and 2,000ft of elevation change.
Dantrium and Sbingham60 like this.
post #46 of 65 (permalink) Old 01-19-2019, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Finally a glimmer of hope. The dealer will loan me my to-be replacement car until the repurchase with JLR NA completes and they can sell it to me. I pick it up tomorrow.

Can't wait to enjoy driving it again and seeing what it can do for range! My daily commute is >40mi and 2,000ft of elevation change.
Did you get the 'same' car, Photon Red FE?
post #47 of 65 (permalink) Old 01-19-2019, 01:23 AM

Quote:

When picked up my Firenza Red Ipace it had 200 miles on it. I knew they were using it for demos but I wanted the red instead of the black models. The sales rep told me of the low estimated range. My estimated range started out at 185 on a full charge because they were jumping on it during the test drives and going up some good size hills. It took me a good month of driving conservatively 65-67 on the freeway and climate off when when I didn't need it and when I had climate on if I didn't need the AC I would turn it off. Was checking range impact to see what was impacting range. I also had to mix in some city stop and go driving to get the estimated range up. My normal work commute is all freeway and only stop and go I will have is in traffic. It is partially downhill to office and uphill on the way back. 65 miles one way.

I was able to get the estimated range up to 237 so far. The wife and I noticed the impact going downhill has and returning on the same route uphill. Much better kw/h used down hill that uphill obviously. You can take an average but know you never get as much back from down hill as you expend going uphill at least in my experience. I expect that when summer arrives and the need for AC my estimated range will go down. We shall see.
post #48 of 65 (permalink) Old 01-19-2019, 10:17 AM

Cold tires take more energy to roll. Cold air takes more HP to push through. Cold air requires more energy to keep the battery at optimum temp (80F?), AC takes less power than heating.
EVs normally see their best mileage in the high 70's on clear days at high altitude on used tires.

Jaguar i-Pace FE Photon Red 20" wheels, "Leaper"
Two Chevrolet Volts in service
24.2 kW x 480v 3ph solar array self-installed.
post #49 of 65 (permalink) Old 01-19-2019, 06:44 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dantrium View Post
Did you get the 'same' car, Photon Red FE?
Yes, I did. It's now in my possession as a loaner and has driven 4x further today than the prior car did before it died. In fact, the car is the original VIN I ordered back in early 2018 but was stopped at the port!

The dealer mentioned they've been told they've sold 1/4 of all the IPaces (in NA presumably) and they've seen only 2 catastrophic failures: mine and one other.

The car itself is wonderful to drive amazing interior. I'm impressed with how far the lane keeping has advanced at this point. Not autonomous, but much more capable than I had expected. A friend of mine who rode with me today (and currently has an F-Pace) is now convinced he's going to upgrade. He called the acceleration, especially at speed from 50-70 on the freeway, 'uncomfortably quick.'
sciencegeek likes this.
post #50 of 65 (permalink) Old 01-19-2019, 07:17 PM

Quote:

The dealer mentioned they've been told they've sold 1/4 of all the IPaces (in NA presumably) and they've seen only 2 catastrophic failures: mine and one other.
Yikes! I hope that is not representative of the cars in general, because that would be a very high failure rate!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page