Drifting.. driving hard thru corners - Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum
 5Likes
  • 3 Post By McRat
  • 1 Post By epirali
  • 1 Post By sgtpeper

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-11-2019, 07:19 AM Thread Starter

Drifting.. driving hard thru corners

When pushing through corners hard, where should regin be set? Had the unpleasant experience of the back end sliding. When it did, I slowed down and the car really became uncontrollable. Scared the crap out of me, fortunately there was plenty of shoulder on the road for the car to ride on. I didn’t feel like I was pushing the car that hard and was wondering if the regin setting was responsible for the eratic behavior?
post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-11-2019, 09:00 AM

What tires are you on and what was the ambient temp? Also did you have your foot off the accelerator all the way with high regen? Essentially were you breaking with the motors?
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-11-2019, 01:21 PM

When you brake or chop the throttle abruptly when the car is oversteering, it aggravates the situation by removing even more weight from the rear tires and reducing traction further. The correct response is to countersteer while applying some throttle. Apply more throttle as needed if you want to sustain the drift, but not on the street.

But I am puzzled why the Stability Control did not come on. The car doesn't want to oversteer easily with it on.

Don't take this wrong, but it's probably time for you to sign up for a 1-2 day Performance Driving School. I still go them every couple of years to keep my skill level up.

Jaguar i-Pace FE Photon Red 20" wheels, "Leaper"
Two Chevrolet Volts in service
24.2 kW x 480v 3ph solar array self-installed.

Last edited by McRat; 05-11-2019 at 01:28 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-11-2019, 03:11 PM

I have never managed to lose grip, front or back, with this car. Granted I haven't gone to the track, but at full ******* speeds on a twisty road, I haven't had this happen. 20" with all seasons.

A dip, bump, patch of oil, or wet spot could all make a slip happen.

If I was track driving, I'd definitely keep regen on high. It makes weight transfer easier for turn in.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 09:59 PM Thread Starter

Not sure but foot was probably off throttle completely. That said I question if the regin should be on at all. Just wondering what the answer is. I have taken BMW driving school class and wasn’t able to achieve the abrupt correction the iPace displayed. Not saying it’s a problem, just wondering what the correct setting is.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 10:10 PM

I would say if you are not yet used to modulation from acceleration to regen/breaking yet you will essentially be “braking” when you have your foot off and you should use low regen setting initially until you adjust to not automatically taking your foot off completely.
Mister Dave likes this.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 10:50 PM

I have the 22" wheels and all seasons and even in the snow, I couldn't really get the car to slide - not even while trying to have a some fun! I find the tractions almost an annoyance haha. In my X5 with the 20" wheels that were super wide I could make it slide around corners a bit when it was slippery out. The IPace just grips and grips.

Did you have the lane detection (or whatever it's called) on? I found that when that was on, it would sometimes get confused on some roads and violently correct me back into a lane.
jsimon7777 likes this.

Jeff in Denver
'19 Jaguar I-Pace First Edition
'03 Porsche 911 Turbo 6MT X50
'74 Alfa Romeo Spider
'17 Volvo XC90 Inscription - Wife's
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 08:07 AM Thread Starter

No, lane detection was off.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-30-2019, 07:52 AM

Chatter in my steering wheel

I've had my I Pace for 3 months (1500 miles) and noticed going from black top to cement bridges and expansion joints (a change in surface)over 55 miles an hour I get some steering wheel chatter and the steering gets a little squirrlee. I'm running 20's, I brought it back to the dealer and can't find an issue. Tire pressure is fine and front end is aligned. It happens with and without adaptive steering on and off. Anyone else have this issue. Katatonic...
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-30-2019, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katatonic View Post
I've had my I Pace for 3 months (1500 miles) and noticed going from black top to cement bridges and expansion joints (a change in surface)over 55 miles an hour I get some steering wheel chatter and the steering gets a little squirrlee. I'm running 20's, I brought it back to the dealer and can't find an issue. Tire pressure is fine and front end is aligned. It happens with and without adaptive steering on and off. Anyone else have this issue. Katatonic...
Add some toe-in to the alignment? Zero toe will make the car more squirrely.

Photon FE, 2013 FR-S, 2017 RAM 1500, 2014 Forester

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page