Tire pressures - Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-05-2019, 06:18 AM Thread Starter

Tire pressures

Good morning all,

After a week of biting cold where my poor Jag sat in the garage, we had a warm snap so I went for a lovely rip of around 80kms. It felt great to let the cat stretch her legs but when I got home I heard a loud hissing sound and found an enormous piece of glass wedged deep into the tread. Over the night the tire lost it’s air, so I pumped it up to take it to Kal tire for a patch. What I hadn’t noticed before was that the tire pressure set from the factory was 50 psi in all the other tires. This seemed high to me so I looked through the owners manual and saw that there is a ‘light’ load setting for fewer than three occupants on a regular basis of only 37psi. Once I had the patch on the tire I set all the pressures to 37 and noticed a big change in the smoothness of the ride. Not that it was rough before, but it added another layer of butter to the road. I recommend all to check their pressure to see what they are set to.
epirali, ryzvy, fedorachef and 1 others like this.
post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-06-2019, 01:51 PM

Honestly every car I get first thing I do is check the tire pressures, as more than 1/2 the dealers of ALL kinds of cars will fail to change the shipping tire pressure (set to max to prevent bald spots) before delivery (which tells you the quality of the PDI). Not only does this wear your tires wrong and changes the ride, in fact it reduces the margin if you hit a bad pot hole or other hazard.

Gotta love dealers, first you have to deal with their sales bs, then you have to chase them to give them money (in case of my Jaguar dealers anyway), then they do an "inspection" and miss a subtle point like tire pressure.

Hey but I am guessing they had put gloss shine on your tires to make it pretty, am I right?
wilco likes this.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-06-2019, 03:56 PM

Yeah, mine were 50 all around, but then I rushed the PDI.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-06-2019, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsimon7777 View Post
Yeah, mine were 50 all around, but then I rushed the PDI.
Exact same here. I appears from all the responses in this thread that this is JLR policy. Seems ... well, risky. I was going to use a more pejorative word.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-06-2019, 08:30 PM

Mine were set by the dealer to exactly what the "Tyre Monitor System" shows as the recommended on the display. There is shows 37 on the front tires and 42 on the rear tires. So that is what I have been keeping it at. Thoughts?

Jaguar I-Pace First Edition Photon Red
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-07-2019, 01:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGhiron View Post
Mine were set by the dealer to exactly what the "Tyre Monitor System" shows as the recommended on the display. There is shows 37 on the front tires and 42 on the rear tires. So that is what I have been keeping it at. Thoughts?
I'll probably lower the rears to 37. Smooth the ride even more. We often have 4 people, but two are kids, and there's rarely anything much in the trunk.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-07-2019, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sciencegeek View Post
Exact same here. I appears from all the responses in this thread that this is JLR policy. Seems ... well, risky. I was going to use a more pejorative word.
This thread reminded me to check mine again. When I left the dealer, they were all at 50. In playing with all settings and other initial prep-work, I forgot to reset the pressure. Now I have them at recommended settings for the 20" tires. So, yes the product delivery inspection from the dealer seems to have missed this step when preparing the car for customer handover.
epirali likes this.

2019 I-Pace EV400 SE
Firenze Red - Ebony/Ebony
Driver Assist Pack
Black Exterior Pack
20" 5 Spoke Style 5068 Gloss Black Wheels
plus a few extras
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-07-2019, 06:06 PM

This is brilliant. I lowered my air pressure to 37 all around and it is SO much smoother with the 22" wheels. It's basically night and day. Does the steering feel a little number? Yes. Do I feel every crack in the road anymore? No.

The one thing you need to remember to do is change the setting in the dash to Light Load mode for the TPMS. I really like that it has this option.
sciencegeek and dtgsrq like this.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-08-2019, 12:30 AM

Great knowledge. I have been looking at the I-pace specs and may consider a 2020 if they fix the center console stuff. I have heard the many complaints about the 22" tires, so I compared it to my 3600lb. Ford Focus Electric. It has stock 17”wheels225x.50 = 112.5mm tire height. I run Summer tires on it and it handles great and rides fine. I had 18" rims on it from a Focus ST, it had 18”245x40 = 98mm rubber ride height(an accident did them in). It was a little stiffer with the same brand of summer tires on it, but not much. I could not feel a difference in the handling from the 17" tires. The Jag-I-Pace 22" tires have a ride height of 22"255x .40 = 102mm. The 102mm ride height shouldn't be that bad if the tire pressures are low enough. I have not been able to find a 22" tire in the I-Pace's size that isn't a summer tire. Conversely I haven't found summer tires in the I-Pace size for the 18" and 20" rims. I live below the snow belt, so I want the summer tires, which means 22" rims. The I-Pace wheel bolt spacing is the same as the Focus. I don't know about stud size or wheel offset for the I-Pace compared to the Focus. Here are my calculated RPMile specs on the I-Pace wheels & tires. 18" 235x.65 672rpmile. 20" 245x.50 681rpmile. 22" 255x.40 672rpmile. The 20" wheels & tires should make the I-Pace quicker accelerating.(Assuming they are not much heavier than the 18" wheels & tires.)

Last edited by Trielectric; 02-08-2019 at 12:34 AM.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-08-2019, 10:26 AM

Why I love this forum!

Yesterday I "mastered" the tailgate "kick gesture" and now "smoothed out" the ride on my beautiful 22" wheels with a quick pressure adjustment (and TPMS mod - thanks sgtpepr). A noticeable difference.

Love this forum!
ryzvy likes this.

Last edited by dtgsrq; 02-08-2019 at 10:29 AM.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page