Tire repair system - Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-24-2018, 07:26 PM Thread Starter
ECP

Tire repair system

Initially, I was told my First Edition came with a spare tire. When I discovered it did not, I was told “that’s okay, the tires are run flats”. I now know that is not true. I am expecting delivery soon and the car will have a “tire repair kit “. I have received opinions on the kit, but have not spoken to anyone that actually used one. Anybody out there with hands-on experience. I only know that the hole must be less than 1/4” , it is a one use repair kit, and a replacement kit is about $150. Doesn’t sound economical or effective. Fortunately, the manual makes it sound easy.
post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-24-2018, 08:40 PM
Guy

When was the last tme you had a flat tire?
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-24-2018, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy View Post
When was the last tme you had a flat tire?
Hahaha, that's a great question! The last time I had a flat tire it was a stupid sidewall slice that the compressor/goo combo wouldn't have fixed. Before that, just an occasional nail that the goo would be perfect for. It's so easy, way better than a spare.

[Didn't you cancel your order or am I misremembering that?]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-24-2018, 10:44 PM

Better to call roadside assistance IMO. I would not use the goo unless in a desperate situation. Or carry a plug kit.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-25-2018, 03:41 AM

I like having a spare tire. We've had plenty of slow leaks, but the last real flat I had came in a no-cell zone. The goo was useless and I ended up puddling along at 10mph to get home without overheating the flat. Did not like.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-25-2018, 08:02 AM
Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sciencegeek View Post
Hahaha, that's a great question! The last time I had a flat tire it was a stupid sidewall slice that the compressor/goo combo wouldn't have fixed. Before that, just an occasional nail that the goo would be perfect for. It's so easy, way better than a spare.

[Didn't you cancel your order or am I misremembering that?]
Yes, I did cancel.

But still very much interested. Hopefully the remaining bugs will be fixed in the 2020 model, or 2021..
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-25-2018, 02:45 PM Thread Starter
ECP

I have had 2 flats in the last five years. Neither would have been repairable with a kit. AAA replaced with my spare and I was on my way.

from the AAA website:
ORLANDO, Fla. (November 11, 2015) – Automakers’ decision to eliminate the spare tire may leave more than 30 million drivers vulnerable at the roadside, according to new research from AAA. Tire inflator kits, a high-cost alternative for consumers, have replaced the spare tire in millions of vehicles over the last 10 model years and, due to their limited functionality, cannot provide even a temporary fix for many common tire-related problems. AAA calls on automakers to put consumer interests first and halt the elimination of the spare tire.
Additional Resources
Fact Sheet
Images
“Flat tires are not a disappearing problem, but spare tires are,” said John Nielsen, AAA’s managing director of Automotive Engineering and Repair. “AAA responds to more than four million calls for flat tire assistance annually and, despite advances in vehicle technology, we have not seen a decline in tire-related calls over the last five years.”
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-25-2018, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECP View Post
I have had 2 flats in the last five years. Neither would have been repairable with a kit. AAA replaced with my spare and I was on my way.

from the AAA website:
ORLANDO, Fla. (November 11, 2015) – Automakers’ decision to eliminate the spare tire may leave more than 30 million drivers vulnerable at the roadside, according to new research from AAA. Tire inflator kits, a high-cost alternative for consumers, have replaced the spare tire in millions of vehicles over the last 10 model years and, due to their limited functionality, cannot provide even a temporary fix for many common tire-related problems. AAA calls on automakers to put consumer interests first and halt the elimination of the spare tire.
Additional Resources
Fact Sheet
Images
“Flat tires are not a disappearing problem, but spare tires are,” said John Nielsen, AAA’s managing director of Automotive Engineering and Repair. “AAA responds to more than four million calls for flat tire assistance annually and, despite advances in vehicle technology, we have not seen a decline in tire-related calls over the last five years.”
You can buy a spare tire for the I-Pace if it is an important piece of equipment for you.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-25-2018, 05:41 PM

The optional spare appears to be full size and would take up most of the rear area. Is there an appropriate 'space saver' spare that is compatible?
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-25-2018, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time2Roll View Post
The optional spare appears to be full size and would take up most of the rear area. Is there an appropriate 'space saver' spare that is compatible?
Jaguar says:

"18" Lightweight alloy reduced size spare wheel with vehicle jack and toolkit is located in a bag, tethered down to the rear loadspace floor. For added convenience, the bag is expandable so the damaged wheel can be placed in the bag allowing for the rear loadspace to remain clean.

†Loadspace floor will be raised and maximum loadspace volume will be reduced. Please contact your local Jaguar Retailer for more information."

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page