First long drive in my I-Pace - Page 3 - Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-02-2019, 09:31 PM

I just returned from my first longer trip, up to Daytona from Ft. Lauderdale and back.

Some EA charge farms at Walmart Supercenters worked great for me. One around Port St. Lucie (tipped to me as Ft. Pierce, but actually one exit south of there), and the other in Ormond Beach just a few miles north of Daytona.

The first one I tried in PSL had a defective card reader (it gave me that error message but only after I'd hooked it up). I called through to customer service on the number displayed and got a quick answer, and advice to move to a different charger while still on the line. She stayed on until I got the next one up and running. They had a mix of 75kWh, 150kWh, and 350 kWh chargers. I used the latter each time, and my Jag app on the phone said I was getting a charge equal to 157 miles of extra range an hour, then 199 miles an hour, until at about 83% SOC, about 99 miles an hour. 1.x something kWhs per minute.

As a surprise to me, the hotel I stayed at had a level two charger with the standard connection (and a Tesla charger the next parking place over), in the basement parking garage. So I hooked up and topped up once I returned there from shorter trips. No other vehicles were ever in either spot, and it seemed to be a first come first served situation. They posted 'no parking-- will be towed' unless the auto was charging. I know I wasn't charging the full time I was parked there (as of a few hours into the night I would have been fully charged), but no problems.

I set the cruise control to go with the traffic, and that was about 80 mph. I was pre-warned about speed traps around Ft. Pierce, but the traffic slowed me down via the adaptive cruise control (they saw him and slowed down, so I did also). It worked flawlessly and it reduced fatigue a lot. I also got to notice the car icon (showing the following distance) go up and down, and get larger and smaller, in the HUD. If it was far enough ahead, it simply didn't register anything, and I'm guessing that's 10 car lengths or more out.

Once, when the HUD was showing the tracked car at the top of the display range and at its smallest, it seemed to jump up and down a bit. Maybe that was a trick of the eye, or almost getting out of range but getting back in. It was not repeated. The 'my EV' screen showed about 41.5 kWh per 100 miles averaging that kind of speed, and I think that's close to correct.

2019 I-Pace 400EV HSE First Edition
Corris Grey - Ebony/Ebony
Delivered 2/22/19
post #22 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-02-2019, 09:36 PM

Am I interpreting your account correctly when I say that this was a reasonably successful "journey"?

Staying at a place with a level 2 charger is key ...
post #23 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-02-2019, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sciencegeek View Post
Am I interpreting your account correctly when I say that this was a reasonably successful "journey"?

Staying at a place with a level 2 charger is key ...

A few learning curve glitches, but basically could not have been better.

With that supercharging station just six miles north, the level two was a pure bonus, icing on the cake or a cherry on the top.

But yeah, it was sweet.
sciencegeek likes this.

Delivered 2/22/19
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-03-2019, 09:02 AM

Great to hear that the Super Walmart EA chargers are now up and running. My last trip from Orlando to Ft. Lauderdale was very long due to the EVgo charger in Vero Beach not working and no other fast chargers until you get to Boca Raton. With Port Saint Lucie up and running, that will make the next trip easy. Once Cocoa Beach Sam's Club is up and running, the trip on the Atlantic side should be pretty good.

2019 I-Pace EV400 SE
Firenze Red - Ebony/Ebony
Driver Assist Pack
Black Exterior Pack
20" 5 Spoke Style 5068 Gloss Black Wheels
plus a few extras
post #25 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 12:05 AM

When you use a EA site, have it message you the receipt. It will send you a text. The peak charging speed is listed. Report back in this thread what you see. At 3 EA sites so far, I've seen from 96 kW to 102.x kW.
The 150's might actually peak higher than the 350's, or it was just coincidence that the only >100 kW site I used was a 150 kW because the two 350's were bad.

Jaguar i-Pace FE Photon Red 20" wheels, "Leaper"
Two Chevrolet Volts in service
24.2 kW x 480v 3ph solar array self-installed.
post #26 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 03:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McRat View Post
When you use a EA site, have it message you the receipt. It will send you a text. The peak charging speed is listed. Report back in this thread what you see. At 3 EA sites so far, I've seen from 96 kW to 102.x kW.
The 150's might actually peak higher than the 350's, or it was just coincidence that the only >100 kW site I used was a 150 kW because the two 350's were bad.

As I mentioned on the other thread, it reported max rate at 82.52 kW, total delivered 43.1 kWh, 38 minutes, ending at 92% SOC. That was on the 350 kWh charger. I'll try the lower powered one next time and see if it is paradoxically faster. Is there some reason to suppose it would be, in theory (apart from your experience)/

So I guess I started with about 38% SOC, and also had the slow down for the end part.

Delivered 2/22/19
post #27 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 03:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sbingham60 View Post
Great to hear that the Super Walmart EA chargers are now up and running. My last trip from Orlando to Ft. Lauderdale was very long due to the EVgo charger in Vero Beach not working and no other fast chargers until you get to Boca Raton. With Port Saint Lucie up and running, that will make the next trip easy. Once Cocoa Beach Sam's Club is up and running, the trip on the Atlantic side should be pretty good.

The two EA/Walmart locations I used had about four islands, two chargers per island, two outlets per charger, and NO other users (but one, one time, in three uses). Maybe five islands.

Some day it may get crowded, but for now, at least in my experience so far, no waits.

Delivered 2/22/19
post #28 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauderdaleFE View Post
The two EA/Walmart locations I used had about four islands, two chargers per island, two outlets per charger, and NO other users (but one, one time, in three uses). Maybe five islands.

Some day it may get crowded, but for now, at least in my experience so far, no waits.

I've seen comments on the web by some EV folk:
"Dumb design! It has two charge cables but only room for one car!!"

That is intentional. Both cables cannot work at the same time. When there are twin CCS cables, it's so a Left Side Port car can charge easier, and also a RSP car like our Jaguar. Nice of VW to think of other brands. Then there is the CCS/CHAdeMO type. Only one will work at time. If you are LSP, you'd want to use a 150kW or 350kW instead.

post #29 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 09:09 AM

Doh! Reversed L and R in previous post, and site was down before I could edit, but you get the point.

post #30 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 10:58 AM

Garage
Seeing this I decided to get up early and go charge (the car was low from the weekend). It says I got 94.38 kW max charging rate at the Livermore EA station. But I'm not sure if I'd trust their max charge rate, since a previous charge said "Max charging rate: 11590.65 kW". That would be awesome, but for some reason I just don't believe it.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page