First long drive in my I-Pace - Page 2 - Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 04:31 PM

I don't want to jinx myself, but Friday I'm going to Salt Lake City, Utah from Norco. It's a 1,320 mile round trip through the desert. The only major city on the way is Las Vegas. Most of the EA sites are still under construction.

Jaguar i-Pace FE Photon Red 20" wheels, "Leaper"
Two Chevrolet Volts in service
24.2 kW x 480v 3ph solar array self-installed.
post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McRat View Post
I don't want to jinx myself, but Friday I'm going to Salt Lake City, Utah from Norco. It's a 1,320 mile round trip through the desert. The only major city on the way is Las Vegas. Most of the EA sites are still under construction.
Good luck and report back please. Looks like you should be able to do Norco to Victorville and Victorville to Baker and Baker to Las Vegas. Can't remember who posted prior, but they had good luck with Chargers in Baker at the worlds tallest thermometer.

Las Vegas to Salt Lake City looks daunting. Too bad the Walmart SuperCenter EA are not up on that route. Several Maverick service station with chargepoint, but PlugShare doesn't really say what their output is.

2019 I-Pace EV400 SE
Firenze Red - Ebony/Ebony
Driver Assist Pack
Black Exterior Pack
20" 5 Spoke Style 5068 Gloss Black Wheels
plus a few extras

Last edited by Sbingham60; 05-28-2019 at 05:15 PM.
post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sbingham60 View Post
Good luck and report back please. Looks like you should be able to do Norco to Victorville and Victorville to Baker and Baker to Las Vegas. Can't remember who posted prior, but they had good luck with Chargers in Baker at the worlds tallest thermometer.

Las Vegas to Salt Lake City looks daunting. Too bad the Walmart SuperCenter EA are not up on that route. Several Maverick service station with chargepoint, but PlugShare doesn't really say what their output is.
I think I was the first retail I-Pace to charge at Baker in early December. I can go from Norco, to Baker, to LV. The Maverick stations are 50's. There is a 300 mile stretch that requires them.

Jaguar i-Pace FE Photon Red 20" wheels, "Leaper"
Two Chevrolet Volts in service
24.2 kW x 480v 3ph solar array self-installed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McRat View Post
Looks like an easy drive with CCS every 150 miles or so. Granted it will take you an extra 5-6 hours each way vs. a normal car, but doable
post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 07:02 PM

I-PACE SIERRA / MOUNTAIN DRIVING TIPS

I did a Tahoe <--> Bay Area trip last weekend. Here are some tips for I-Pacers planning on Sierra/mountain driving... note that I had mild conditions (55 degrees and drizzle), no traffic and drove conservatively in Eco mode within 5mph of the posted speed limit.

DESCENDING Hwy 80 from Donner Summit to Newcastle (-6,282' over 61 miles, avg 2% grade) consumed ~24kWh according to the car's Power Gauge; about 0.39kWh/mile. But the InControl app reported more optimistic results, showing I averaged just 0.25kWh/mi over a similar distance with a lighter grade.

ASCENDING the same stretch, the Power Guage reported I consumed ~109kWh, almost 1.8kWh/mile - ouch! Again the InControl app reported I was more efficient, averaging 0.6kWh/mile between Roseville and Incline Village. The truth lies somewhere in between.

RANGE: Climbing and descending confuses the I-Pace's Power Guage - don't believe it's range forecast. For long climbs budget for ~1.5kWh/mile; for descents budget ~0.3kWh/mile.
Downhill range is Tahoe-->East Bay. Descending from my 7,450' Incline Village home with a full charge, I reached sea-level Walnut Creek (190 miles) with the Power Guage showing I had ~20+ miles to spare.
Uphilll range is Roseville-->Tahoe. Ascending, I left the sea-level Whole Foods Roseville EVGo fast-chargers with 90% capacity and climbed home (103 miles) with the Power Guage showing ~15 miles of remaining range.

Adjust expectations for cold, heat, snow and traffic jams!
post #16 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 08:03 PM

1. How did you measure your consumption?
2. The inControl App power consumption calculator is wrong, people should ignore it
post #17 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 07:18 PM

Quote:
ASCENDING the same stretch, the Power Guage reported I consumed ~109kWh
Jaguar has stated that the I-PACE has an effective capacity of 84.7kWh, so I assume you must have charged at one of the Shell stations?

Quote:
Uphilll range is Roseville-->Tahoe. Ascending, I left the sea-level Whole Foods Roseville EVGo fast-chargers with 90% capacity and climbed home (103 miles) with the Power Guage showing ~15 miles of remaining range.

Adjust expectations for cold, heat, snow and traffic jams!
And speed! Out of curiosity, about how fast were you going?

Normally I go with a "charge to 90% and expect to get about 150 miles" rule-of-thumb on a road trip. After reading your report, I'm a lot more likely to pay attention to elevation gain as part of that equation.

Then again I've seen a 2014 LEAF charging on L2 at Stevens Pass in the dead of winter, so I suppose anything is possible if you've got enough patience.
post #18 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dantrium View Post
Looks like an easy drive with CCS every 150 miles or so. Granted it will take you an extra 5-6 hours each way vs. a normal car, but doable
By "normal," do you mean, "internal combustion engine?"
post #19 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOLTSLA View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dantrium View Post
By "normal," do you mean, "internal combustion engine?"
Is there another type of car that fits the definition of ‘normal’ better?

I’m not familiar with one...

“normal
/ˈnrməl/

adjective
1. conforming to a standard; usual, typical, or expected.
synonyms: usual, standard, typical, stock, common, ordinary, customary, conventional, habitual, accustomed, expected, wonted, everyday, regular, routine, day-to-day, daily, established, settled, set, fixed, traditional, quotidian, prevailing

noun
1. the usual, average, or typical state or condition.
post #20 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-31-2019, 06:59 PM

I bought my car in San Jose and drove it down to Los Angeles the night I purchased it. I just know it was a LONG and very inconvenient drive. The chargers along the 101 barely put out 50kw.

I had to stop in King City, San Luis Obispo, and Santa Barbara. I only use the I-Pace in SoCal and I love it, but if I were doing a cross country trip or a long distance trip I would sooner rent an ICE vehicle. Just too difficult to manage on long hauls waiting 45 minutes every 150 miles or so.

I also have a Fuel Cell Honda and have found it to be really great driving throughout California.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page