Wondered why my iPace software was degraded to A - Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 11:43 AM Thread Starter

Wondered why my iPace software was degraded to A

My software seems to have been downgraded from tev D to Rev A. It did actually make lane assist safer.

However, timed charging still not working, fan button operates the phone and audio from phone for android auto a mess of interruptions so bad it sounds like transmission from Mars.

Investment in software programmers would be sweet.

I can help there.

The saga continues...
post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 12:07 PM

The timed charging is not as simple as some cars. I think GM did the best job on that.

First, you set the Pre-Condition schedule, and set the Timed Charging window. When you go to shut your car off, it will ask if you want to do timed charging. You must answer yes AFAIK.

The port light must be white when you plug in, which takes either one press or two on fob unlock button, or you can open and close the driver's door.

When you plug in, the white light will change to Blue, and your EVSE will indicate it's charging. That will go out after several seconds once it does all it's self-tests.

It lacks "departure time based charging" and AFAIK, GPS based charging.

And yes, the software is still not sorted. It is the biggest fail of the I-Pace. In theory they will fix it. I stopped holding my breath.

I never had a problem with steering assist, but I was not expecting it to be more than a backup system. Cadillac wins that one IMO.

Jaguar i-Pace FE Photon Red 20" wheels, "Leaper"
Two Chevrolet Volts in service
24.2 kW x 480v 3ph solar array self-installed.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaan126 View Post
My software seems to have been downgraded from tev D to Rev A. It did actually make lane assist safer.

However, timed charging still not working, fan button operates the phone and audio from phone for android auto a mess of interruptions so bad it sounds like transmission from Mars.

Investment in software programmers would be sweet.

I can help there.

The saga continues...

The passive voice you use makes me wonder what you're really saying.

As in, it did a downgrade on its own, in some way you don't know how? Or this change is after taking it into the dealer and service seems to have done it (and you are now just noticing the rev drop back)?

If the former, did you definitely know you had the later rev D before looking now?

Inquiring minds want to know! TIA for your reply.

2019 I-Pace 400EV HSE First Edition
Corris Grey - Ebony/Ebony
Suede Headliner
Fully Extended Leather/Ash Wood Trim
Heads-Up Display/Four-Zone Climate
20" Wheels/Rubber Mats x5
Delivered 2/22/19
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 01:36 PM

I wonder if he was 18D and they changed it to 19A? I don't think there is an 18A, the lowest I've seen is a C.

Jaguar i-Pace FE Photon Red 20" wheels, "Leaper"
Two Chevrolet Volts in service
24.2 kW x 480v 3ph solar array self-installed.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 08:57 PM

Garage
From everything visible, and the timing of the software releases, the letter is what quarter of the year the software was released. 19A = 2019 q1
dtgsrq likes this.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 09:22 PM

An owner since December 2018, I've had 18C (delivered), upgraded to 18D, and now awaiting 19A, so news of someone with a 'downgrade' from D to A makes no sense. Most likely an upgrade from 18D to 19A.

2019 I-Pace 400EV HSE First Edition
Santorini Black/Black Window/Grill Trim
Ebony Leather Sport Seats/Suede Headliner
Fully Extended Leather/Ash Wood Trim
Heads-Up Display/Four-Zone Climate
22" 5069 Carbon Wheels/Rubber Mats x5
Delivered 12/22/18
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 04:08 AM

First thing - the software you are talking about is Touch Pro Duo. It is responsible for the Infotainment system - so two screens in your central console.

It is NOT for, and those components has it's own software, which can be updated only by dealer due to safety reason and electronics architecture used in I-Pace: Interactive cluster (in front of your steering wheel), ADAS (LKA, BSM/BSA, EAB, etc), Cameras (backup or 360), Heating/Ventilation&A/C system, Engine Control, Chassis Control, etc.

So any software update for Touch Pro Duo (neither over-the-air, or at dealer) can NOT help or brake anything with above systems.

Second thing - version numbering. Like all of the software development houses, Jag is using a coding system to recognise specific software build going into each release (2018 Q1, Q2, etc). They are coding it into 18A, 18B, 18C, etc. The same software goes to all of the JLR vehicles with Touch Pro (and Touch Pro Duo) - you can see it, if you got any other JLR car with this infotainment.

so what is the magic string of numbers means -> S19A.19.07.5.123456?
S19A - the software code branch for 19A release
19 - calendar year of the software build
07 - calendar week of the year of the software build
5 - calendar day of the week of the software build
123456 - unique identifier

You can sometimes experience, that after update over the aur you are going from 123456 into something like 123451 unique identifier. That is fully OK. Sometimes software houses are releasing two versions together to make sure over-the-air process works robustly in the specific device, before pushing 'BIG' update into something like 123999....
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 04:11 AM

BTW, @chaan126 - you may be surprised - look at DevOps summit with the Chris Hill speech about how software is developed in JLR...
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by requieh View Post
BTW, @chaan126 - you may be surprised - look at DevOps summit with the Chris Hill speech about how software is developed in JLR...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CEvjB-79tOs
Great but they have managed to do the opposite of EVERYTHING this approach theoretically will give you. They have slow and unreliable software delivery that is incredibly buggy and behaves unpredictably in production environment. I think this is directly a reflection of a software lead who is way over his/her head.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by epirali View Post
Great but they have managed to do the opposite of EVERYTHING this approach theoretically will give you. They have slow and unreliable software delivery that is incredibly buggy and behaves unpredictably in production environment. I think this is directly a reflection of a software lead who is way over his/her head.
I would have argue here... Look at Porsche or Mercedes infotainment systems. If you will ask dealers, which ECU creates most of they headaches, they will direct you to the Infotainment. Same is for the customer's feedback. I wouldn't say, JLR is better then them, but at least understands, where the were the roots of the problems and fixing it step by step. The result wont be overnight. Just you can compare the reviews of the Touch Pro system 2 years ago in RR Velar, and same system in the RR Evoque. It is massive improvement.

BTW, Audi got so many problems with their latest dual screen MMI, that on this year Geneva Motorshow they have switched off haptic feedback, because it got so negative feedback from the customers.

Vehicle software it is quite a complex environment. Much more complex, that any other mass-product on this planet. OEMs needs some time to learn how to do it right. Look how many software updates Tesla releases... New features announcements are to cover the list of the bug fixes delivered together...

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page