My first fast-charge: Electrify America rocks! - Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-08-2019, 12:56 AM Thread Starter

My first fast-charge: Electrify America rocks!

So a 305mi round trip today to Orlando created my first need to fast-charge remotely-outside the home. I stopped at the Electrify America station at the Florida Mall. They had 2 350kW stations and 4 150kW stations, all empty at 4pm. I pulled into a 350kW station (merely because it was convenient, before I realized they were not all the same), plugged in, and charged. FAST. I charged 35% to 80% in exactly 30 min, got a text message that I was at 80% (after entering my cell number for that purpose) while inside for a bite to eat. I came out to check on the car/charge, then went back for another beverage (another 25 min - including 5-7 min walk each way to/from the mall entrance, they didn't position these for convenience to shoppers!) and upon return had charged to 100%. So basically added 150mi in 55 min (the last 20% was slower, as expected). Credit card was charged $22.28 for 53 kwH - so about 3.5x as costly per kwH as at home, but was happy for the ease of remote fill-up! My faith in the burgeoning EV infrastructure was definitely boosted today!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6145.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	450.2 KB
ID:	1461  
McRat, sciencegeek and Calidave like this.

2019 I-Pace 400EV HSE First Edition
Santorini Black/Black Window/Grill Trim
Ebony Leather Sport Seats/Suede Headliner
Fully Extended Leather/Ash Wood Trim
Heads-Up Display/Four-Zone Climate
22" 5069 Carbon Wheels/Rubber Mats x5
Delivered 12/22/18
post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-08-2019, 03:13 AM

Did your car list it as an EV Charging station? What provider did JLR they think it was?
My car won't find an ABB 350kW station even after it's charged there before.

Jaguar i-Pace FE Photon Red 20" wheels, "Leaper"
Two Chevrolet Volts in service
24.2 kW x 480v 3ph solar array self-installed.
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-08-2019, 03:40 AM

I’m in the Orlando area and the navigation system can find the fast dc chargers at both the Florida mall and the outlet mall. It has the kw rates listed correctly. I’ve only used the 50kw at the outlet, not the 150 or 350 at the Florida Mall.

2019 I-Pace EV400 SE
Firenze Red - Ebony/Ebony
Driver Assist Pack
Black Exterior Pack
20" 5 Spoke Style 5068 Gloss Black Wheels
plus a few extras
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-08-2019, 04:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sbingham60 View Post
I’m in the Orlando area and the navigation system can find the fast dc chargers at both the Florida mall and the outlet mall. It has the kw rates listed correctly. I’ve only used the 50kw at the outlet, not the 150 or 350 at the Florida Mall.
Not sure why my car won't see DCFCs. Two different dealers looked at it.

It's only an irritant. I just plug in an I-Phone and use Apple Maps, Google Maps, Plugshare, EVgo, ChargePoint, EV Connect, memory, bread crumbs, asking strangers, calling 911, following utility poles, reading building permits, and doing grid-based search and rescue patterns. Piece of cake. It's never acknowledged a SAE Combo since it was new even while you are charging on one and save as a Favorite. However a true road trip to unfamiliar areas would require a knowledgeable EV experienced navigator with troubleshooting experience to operate the search team.

Our ABB 350kW stations are Provider NRG EVgo 120 miles away and 350 miles north is Provider Recargo neither is listed as a Provider by JLR either. There is no display of kW on any charging sites of any kind on my car with 18C. My car USED to see EVgo stations, but after they tried to 'fix' the DCFC mapping, it lists them as a Petrol Station now. EVgo is one of the more common DCFC chargers here. Almost all of them are SAE Combo.
If I go from SoCal to Las Vegas, the I-Pace with the freshest possible updates sees only one charger on route, and it's not operational yet, it's under construction. The two that work fine that I've charged at before, are not listed.

Jaguar i-Pace FE Photon Red 20" wheels, "Leaper"
Two Chevrolet Volts in service
24.2 kW x 480v 3ph solar array self-installed.

Last edited by McRat; 03-08-2019 at 04:12 AM.
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-08-2019, 05:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtgsrq View Post
My faith in the burgeoning EV infrastructure was definitely boosted today!
That is great, by contrast as I posted elsewhere when I test Electrify America headquarters in VA last weekend 2 of the 4 fast charges didn't work (one was out, other couldn't read any credit cards or touchless), the other two only were delivering 37KW and 29 KW Hr charge rates to the I Pace at 50% SOC (both not NEARLY useful enough).

To their credit they sent me e-mail when I left a PlugShare comment and followed up twice to get technical and problem reports. Not sure if they will actually solve it but they did quickly reach out when they saw someone post problems.
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-08-2019, 02:35 PM

Quote:
So a 305mi round trip today to Orlando created my first need to fast-charge remotely-outside the home. I stopped at the Electrify America station at the Florida Mall. They had 2 350kW stations and 4 150kW stations, all empty at 4pm. ...
What was your max charging speed? Shows on the text'd receipt.
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-08-2019, 04:21 PM

Quote:
So a 305mi round trip today to Orlando created my first need to fast-charge remotely-outside the home. I stopped at the Electrify America station at the Florida Mall. They had 2 350kW stations and 4 150kW stations, all empty at 4pm. I pulled into a 350kW station (merely because it was convenient, before I realized they were not all the same), plugged in, and charged. FAST. I charged 35% to 80% in exactly 30 min, got a text message that I was at 80% (after entering my cell number for that purpose) while inside for a bite to eat. I came out to check on the car/charge, then went back for another beverage (another 25 min - including 5-7 min walk each way to/from the mall entrance, they didn't position these for convenience to shoppers!) and upon return had charged to 100%. So basically added 150mi in 55 min (the last 20% was slower, as expected). Credit card was charged $22.28 for 53 kwH - so about 3.5x as costly per kwH as at home, but was happy for the ease of remote fill-up! My faith in the burgeoning EV infrastructure was definitely boosted today!

So, if my math is correct, you went from 35% to 100% in just under an hour, and that's roughly 150-160 miles of additional range. The cost was $22. In round numbers, that equates to about 10 gallons of gas where we live. Translation: At $.40/kwH, the cost is about the same as gas for a car averaging 15 to 16 miles per gallon. And you wonder why the Exxon's and BP's of the world have a renewed interest in electricity. Am I missing something??
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-08-2019, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NerdUno View Post
Am I missing something??
Yes. (Just kidding)

The difference is this: all miles you drive with an ICE are filled up at gas stations. Most miles you drive with an EV are filled up at home or work .. so even if the per-mile revenue of a charging station is the same as that for a gas station, the total revenue generated by charging stations will be a small fraction of that of gas stations.

For the same reason I don't mind paying a premium for charging when I'm on a trip as long as it's not tooo much.

Maybe Shell should buy PG&E ...
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-08-2019, 05:13 PM

The fast charging companies are like vultures taking advantage of their unique customers
and monopoly until competition presents itself. Also if gas prices keep going up, the electricity
rates although high, will begin to look better.
I don't understand why Tesla can't use their charger brand to gather revenue to others with a CCS
charging option. The idea Tesla sold to everyone was that the Super Chargers were to be solar powered
thus offering a cost competitive source for EV's to recharge across the US.

Jaguar I-Pace SE Borasco Grey Mars Red Interior
20" Wheels Meridian Surround Sound Driver Assist Pack
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-08-2019, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meldev##44 View Post
The fast charging companies are like vultures taking advantage of their unique customers
and monopoly until competition presents itself.

I don't understand why Tesla can't use their charger brand to gather revenue to others with a CCS
charging option.
I doubt that any charging company is making a ton of money right now. Which is probably why Tesla prefers to keep it 'private' ... they would not make much money if they converted/extended their chargers, and instead add a bunch of non-Tesla-fanboy support headache.
epirali likes this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page