I-PACE is my 3rd EV - Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum
 13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 12:42 PM Thread Starter

I-PACE is my 3rd EV

First was a 2014 LEAF which we replaced with a Tesla Model X. This year we replaced the ICE with an I-PACE. Now a 100% EV household.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190608_175049.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	387.9 KB
ID:	1843  
post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 02:01 PM

Show off!!!

JK, and good for you.

I hadn't thought of this before now, but if you get home with an EV that needs a charge, another fully charged EV is as good an instant backup if needed as an ICE for most purposes. Although I expect you have three because of three household drivers. Er, two, I mean.

2019 I-Pace 400EV HSE First Edition
Corris Grey - Ebony/Ebony
Delivered 2/22/19
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOLTSLA View Post
First was a 2014 LEAF which we replaced with a Tesla Model X. This year we replaced the ICE with an I-PACE. Now a 100% EV household.

Awesome. 2 i3's for me (now sold) and now our ELR so EV #3 too.

Wonder what you've noticed with your power bill versus what your gas bill used to be? I haven't got my 220 charger yet, so at 120v 12 hrs charge I can't do all my charging at lowest time of use (10pm to 6am). Still, plugging in around 8pm, I think we see about $20 at lowest and about $30 at highest additional to what our power bill used to be, and I dunno at least 4 times (maybe a lot more) than that for gas I used to have to buy. Of course everyone has different rates of course, but clearly way cheaper to buy power at home than support OPEC.

2017 FPace - S Odyssey Red, black blades, black pack
2007 XK coupe in Black w Carelia wheels
2016 Cadillac ELR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 05:01 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauderdaleFE View Post
I hadn't thought of this before now, but if you get home with an EV that needs a charge, another fully charged EV is as good an instant backup if needed as an ICE for most purposes. Although I expect you have three because of three household drivers. Er, two, I mean.
Exactly. We've used them in that way before. We keep them both somewhere above 50% charge and don't stress about plugging them in all the time. If there's a bunch of unexpected driving around town one day, it's just a matter of swapping them out in the middle of the day. Hardly ever happens though.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 05:07 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by deafsoundguy View Post
Awesome. 2 i3's for me (now sold) and now our ELR so EV #3 too.

Wonder what you've noticed with your power bill versus what your gas bill used to be? I haven't got my 220 charger yet, so at 120v 12 hrs charge I can't do all my charging at lowest time of use (10pm to 6am). Still, plugging in around 8pm, I think we see about $20 at lowest and about $30 at highest additional to what our power bill used to be, and I dunno at least 4 times (maybe a lot more) than that for gas I used to have to buy. Of course everyone has different rates of course, but clearly way cheaper to buy power at home than support OPEC.
It's been so many years that I've forgotten what our gas used to cost. We pay a little extra with our utility company to fund renewable energy, so it's something like 8.25 cents per kWh. I charge at work where my employer covers the electricity, so that pays for my commute miles.

It's wonderful never having to stop at a gas station any more. Makes me annoyed that they're allowed to blast the price of dino juice in huge lettering all over the side of the road. I imagine it's how a vegetarian might feel if every single burger joint you pass by were to post the price of their hamburgers, cheeseburgers, and double cheeseburgers in huge glowing lettering all over the place.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 10:09 PM

Great batch of cars: Leaf, X, i-Pace. Great diversity. I had an A3 etron PHEV which, due to its limited 21 mile range, made me intensely aware of the parameters that drive efficiency.

How is the Model Eggs for you? [ ]
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 01:01 AM

I started with a Honda Civic with mild hybrid and averaged 43MPG. Then bought a Ford Fusion PHEV that had a 5.5 kW battery good for 25-30 miles in summer but only 15-17 in winter. Still got 62MPG in the three years we owned it. I once went 6 months without putting gas into it and could get over 75 MPG in warm weather.

I'm a little worried about the I-Pace in the winter and I'm hoping that the battery thermal management system helps along with preconditioning.

Anyone out there with experience driving the I-Pace during winter weather? I'm sure I will love not having to gas the car in the cold and snow.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 01:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurtSprings View Post
I started with a Honda Civic with mild hybrid and averaged 43MPG. Then bought a Ford Fusion PHEV that had a 5.5 kW battery good for 25-30 miles in summer but only 15-17 in winter. Still got 62MPG in the three years we owned it. I once went 6 months without putting gas into it and could get over 75 MPG in warm weather.

I'm a little worried about the I-Pace in the winter and I'm hoping that the battery thermal management system helps along with preconditioning.

Anyone out there with experience driving the I-Pace during winter weather? I'm sure I will love not having to gas the car in the cold and snow.
I live in NW Minnesota and have had the car since early November. There have been several threads in regards to cold weather driving. Of course everyone is a bit different, but as the temps drop, so will your maximum range. For me, once the temps went below zero I couldn’t expect more than 125 miles of in town driving.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 07:46 AM

Thanks, Dantrium. Did you find that preconditioning the car helped?
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurtSprings View Post
Thanks, Dantrium. Did you find that preconditioning the car helped?
definitely, I used preconditioning 99% of the time

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page