Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum - View Single Post - Should I buy an iPace?
View Single Post
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-07-2019, 10:39 PM
sciencegeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by GratedWasabi View Post
There is one EA station with 3 CCS chargers that is about 160 miles away if I get to my destination and backtrack to it or 110 miles away if I go there on the way out. On the way back there is minimal elevation gain but significant elevation loss.
Totally no problem. You'll want to learn how your driving style affects consumption but I think you can pretty much count on this scenario: 30%-40% left when you hit the station on the way up ... charge to 90% (30-45 min), take it easy the rest of the way and then head home without stopping at the charger ('cause it's downhill and 160 miles with 4k ft loss is no problem).

Regarding consumption: I'm a broken record but do not trust the GoM and instead go with the %age charge (State of Charge, or SoC) that you can get in the MyEV panel in the car. Also do not trust the kWh/100mile consumption figure the car gives you .. it's way off. Instead, do this:

Record starting SoC percentage; drive. At destination, record number of miles traveled and ending SoC%. Now do the following calculation:

miles_traveled / (StartSoC-EndSoc) = Predicted total range on a full charge
[remember to convert the SoCs to a fraction, i.e. 40% = 0.4)]

Don't try to be too precise without having done this for a bunch of different trips. I.e., if you calculate a 200 mile range on the basis of a single drive of 20 miles ... well that could be it but you might have had a headwind, gone up a hill, or down a hill ... so rinse lather repeat a few times until you're comfortable that you know your range given your driving style.

Main factors influencing range on flat ground:
1. Aggressiveness of driving style (acceleration / deceleration cyles draw power inefficiently from the battery)
2. Comfort or Dynamic vs Eco mode (Eco mode mitigates accel / decel cycles)
3. Maximum sustained speed (wind resistance)
4. Climate control. Resistive heating (of the cabin) worse than AC

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome