Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

Software-Over-The-Air (SOTA) update for Touch Pro Duo explained

63K views 160 replies 47 participants last post by  traderfjp 
#1 ·
Some of you may be lucky already receiving software update over the air, others still waiting for it... So a bit of explanation below, how it works, and what needs to be done.

There are two ways, how your vehicle may get sent software update over the air for your Touch Pro system.

1. Dealer may initiate sending software to your vehicle
2. Jaguar will send new software as a periodic update to your vehicle (like Apple does with iPhones, Samsung with Android phones, or even your smart-TV producer)

According to Jaguar comms, there have been already successfully completed trials of this way of updating Touch Pro system. Following this, selected JLR (so also for Land Rovers and Range Rovers) customers in UK (as a first territory) received at the beginning of April, that software update for Touch Pro (and Touch Pro Duo) will be send soon to their vehicles. Some of them already received them.

Moreover, from the beginning or April, dealers can send the software update over the air. So rather than connecting dealer's laptop to your vehicle, they can trigger it from their TOPIX web-portal.

So some details, how it can be done. Below processes are only for the vehicles which are capable of getting software over the air, so basically those which got Connectivity Packet fitted, SIM card with available data package inserted (or vehicle connected to external WiFi hotspot), and vehicle is in the range of internet connectivity.

Dealer triggered software update over the air

1. your vehicle would need to be added by JLR (either by global team, or by dealer) to the pool of vehicles eligible to get SOTA updates. Dealer can do it via TOPIX web-portal, after entering you VIN, clicking on SOTA toggle button:

2. you need to:
    - make sure you have internet connectivity in your vehicle (SIM card inserted with available data package, Mobile connectivity enabled)
    - Software updates enabled in your vehicle (Settings->All settings>Software update > turned on / Enabled), you need to accept T&Cs.

- then you need to press Check for update to initiate first hand-shake with JLR server. If you would forget to do so, vehicle does hand-shakes every 24h to check new SW availability. After first hand-shake, it is quite rare that new SW is available - look at the next points.
  3. If there is new SW available for you, dealer will see it in the TOPIX. And if there is, he sent it to your vehicle by pressing 'Update'

4. Now you can Check for Update again in your vehicle. The popup should appear saying, that new software is available for installation. You choose to install.

JLR triggered Touch PRO software update over-the-air

As I mentioned above, JLR will periodically send to eligible vehicles new Touch Pro software over the air.
Process is similar as above:
  • JLR will add your vehicle (if not already done before) to the pool of vehicles eligible to get SOTA updates.
  • You would need to have enabled Software Updates
  • Your vehicle is checking every 24h for new software (only if it is powered up; it it is locked, it wont check)
  • You will get popup notification once new SW is available for your vehicle and you need to choose install

Touch Pro software download and installation process
Download and installation of Touch Pro happens in the background and can be over multiple drives. You do not need to care about it. Once 'Install button' was hit, vehicle will do everything for you seamlessly. It can pause process once you lock vehicle, and resumes at the next start of the vehicle. Download and installation is paused once vehicle is locked - that is to protect from getting flatten your 12V battery (YES - you have got one in your I-Pace).

You can check status of the download or install in the software update page. There is no progress bar unfortunately...

Once installation is finished in one drive, at the subsequent drive new software are getting 'activated' to finish the whole process. You can see it as a status in software update page saying 'software installation will continue after vehicle shutdown'. In fact you need to shut down and lock vehicle for 5 minutes, to trigger full re-boot of the Touch Pro.

At the next unlock, Touch Pro boots up from the new software, and software activation process starts. As part of the activation, Live app is downloaded and re-installed. You can spot it, as instead of side panel (the one with Weather, News, mini media player, etc), you have got Jaguar logo. Live app download and install duration depends on your mobile network connectivity. Progress of download and installation of Live you can see if you will enter into Live (from Extra features page, on the right from the HOME page) - you have got a progress bar there :laugh:
Once Live is installed, you will get banner shown "Live apps updated"

In the meantime you can see also the banner, that New Software was installed successfully. From that moment, new software version is also visible in the Software Update page.

FAQ
  • Q: Will maps get updated as part of the update? A: No. You need to follow the process of downloading the map to the USB stick (min 32GB) from the web-site www.jaguar.here.com
  • Q: Can I skip or defer for later the software update? A: Yes, if you will select 'remind me later', new popup reminder will appear no earlier than after 6 hours. If you will skip it, no popups will be shown, but you can manually Check for update.

See less See more
#2 ·
If anyone has successfully updated from 18C or 18D to 19A, please post. I tried on mine (following the instructions above), but it fails. One thing to note is the "button" to enable or disable software updates is non-functional, even though it says "Software updates on" next to it (maybe that means it's not enabled, or they dealer has to do something to it directly that I can't do through a Topix subscription).

#4 ·
The dealer needs to enable SOTA for your specific vehicle by VIN. Until that happens, you cannot do OTA. Several have noted their I-Pace tech is currently at training. I suspect this is one of the areas they are receiving training on. However, the I-PACE is not the only JLR product to receive SOTA, I don’t understand why it seems to be so difficult for them.

#7 ·
I completely get that it says "Dealer" there. My confusion is apparently about Topix generally.

Having paid the insane subscription price, it appears to provide the full access a dealer has, including the ability to toggle the SOTA button (which I did). It is entirely possible that it will work if a dealer does it instead of someone with their individual subscription, but if so the error messages in Topix are definitely not right (and why let someone that isn't eligible to turn it on flip the toggle in the first place?).

That is part of why I've asked if anyone has been able to do this. I figure there has to be at least 1 person on the board that is actually a dealer and could use their Topix access to do so, and if it doesn't work them then that indicates either (a) it isn't completely enabled yet, or (b) some cars require a wired update to enable SOTA in the first place (H159v4 possibly? which doesn't show up in Topix for me). Alternatively, if it does work for them, then either (b) is actually true, and/or (c) Topix does distinguish dealers vs. non-dealers for what you can do to a car you've subscribed for and it just can't report appropriate errors.

#8 ·
I apologize I misunderstood your original comment. I talked to two different dealers after receiving this information and neither of them seem to understand how it was to be done. Both of them had said their 'I-Pace tech' was at training; which is what a couple others have reported as well...so, I guess we continue to wait.

#9 ·
@CyberSlug

After toggling SOTA in TOPIX (it should light green), what have you done next?

1. You should go to a car, make sure it is connected to the internet (i.e. you got weather forecast visible), go to software update page, and 'check for update' in the Touch Pro Duo section.

Q1: what was displayed then? any banner at the top?

2. You should go back to the topix, re-fresh the page and you should see that now Topix knows what is the SW installed in your vehicle, and shows what new SW is available for you (if there is any)

Q2: what was displayed in the Topix? What was in the 'Status' column?

#10 ·
After toggling SOTA in TOPIX (it should light green), what have you done next?

1. You should go to a car, make sure it is connected to the internet (i.e. you got weather forecast visible), go to software update page, and 'check for update' in the Touch Pro Duo section.

Q1: what was displayed then? any banner at the top?
Did that, but it says no updates available. For what it is worth, the info in Topix did not change from when the toggle was turned on to after I clicked "Check for updates" in the car. it already had all the information.

2. You should go back to the topix, re-fresh the page and you should see that now Topix knows what is the SW installed in your vehicle, and shows what new SW is available for you (if there is any)

Q2: what was displayed in the Topix? What was in the 'Status' column?
Status shows "Update" button, but clicking it returns the error "Error occurred while performing SOTA operation, please contact system administrators or try again later." instantly.

Screenshot of what Topix shows attached.

Attachments

#11 ·
So all is clear. Your car is on 18D, new 19A update is available for you. However it needs to be a Topix user with the proper level of priviledge to be able to request update to be send to your vehicle. Your account allowed you to register your car to JLR's SOTA server, however it looks like it can be only JLR dealer or JLR global team which is able to send the update.

#12 ·
Even with TOPIx reporting the existing flash in the car correctly, and reporting an updated flash available correctly, with a TOPIx repair shop subscription (ALL), and the TOPIx SOTA set to ON by the dealer in person, with the car set SOTA ON by the dealer, the car cannot communicate with the JLR SOTA server.

Most likely? Something is not turned on at JLR HQ (or a firewall is blocking it), or the car would report there is an update available. It reports what flash is in it to user and TOPIx, it reports when there is a NAV update available, so the communication infrastructure is in place. The error at TOPIx when you hit UPDATE, is saying (if it can be trusted), there is no network connection to the JLR server using the information supplied.

#15 · (Edited)
I've had the H193 flash. I'm 19A.02.7? showing SOTA on, and 19A.11.4 being available. Renewing the subscription had no effect. Pushing update always gives a network error.
BUT... SOTA once activated does not require a subscription, and even then, it would be the wrong subscription. There is an information subscription and a "reprogramming subscription".

My car is running fine. I'm going to wait it out.

Reactions: PGhiron
#17 ·
I successfully updated to S19A_19.11.4-330884 this afternoon.

Yesterday when I logged into Topix I noticed SOTA was disabled (even though I never disabled it), and when I logged in again today it was re-enabled and there was the attached notice. So I went back to the car and told it to check for updates again. It found an update, so I kicked off the download. The whole time I was parked in the garage on WiFi so I wouldn't have to worry about cell data costs. The process took about an hour to download and install.

I won't get a chance to drive her around until tomorrow, but looking forward to seeing what's improved. :)

Attachments

#18 ·
I successfully updated to S19A_19.11.4-330884 this afternoon.

Yesterday when I logged into Topix I noticed SOTA was disabled (even though I never disabled it), and when I logged in again today it was re-enabled and there was the attached notice. So I went back to the car and told it to check for updates again. It found an update, so I kicked off the download. The whole time I was parked in the garage on WiFi so I wouldn't have to worry about cell data costs. The process took about an hour to download and install.

I won't get a chance to drive her around until tomorrow, but looking forward to seeing what's improved. [img= class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif[/img]
I just tried and no luck for me. SOTA shows enabled on TOPIx.

#19 · (Edited)
According to TOPIx as of today, new TOPIx Notice under Notifications:

19-Apr-2019

Operational System Status
Software Over the AIR (SOTA) - ✅
=======================================

That is all it says.

But no love for me. TOPIx shows SOTA ON, it will show me the current software, and pending update, but still gets a network error if I try to push the update.

The car acts like it always has, always says Up To Date, and the current version installed.

#23 ·
Got mine delivered last thursday.

1S19A_19.11.4-330884 installed.

SOTA is toggled to off on Topix. Cannot toggle it myself with a private subscription.

But....

Boy it’s a beauty!
Boy it works perfectly fine!

Oh I read about enabling software updates. In order to toggle the lock on/off, you need to change the master PIN of the car.
French version is not semantically clear: It says Firmware update is enabled. But does the lock icon needs to be locked or unlocked (allow updates)?

MyA

#24 ·
Some of you may be lucky already receiving software update over the air, others still waiting for it... So a bit of explanation below, how it works, and what needs to be done.

There are two ways, how your vehicle may get sent software update over the air for your Touch Pro system.

1. Dealer may initiate sending software to your vehicle
2. Jaguar will send new software as a periodic update to your vehicle (like Apple does with iPhones, Samsung with Android phones, or even your smart-TV producer)

According to Jaguar comms, there have been already successfully completed trials of this way of updating Touch Pro system. Following this, selected JLR (so also for Land Rovers and Range Rovers) customers in UK (as a first territory) received at the beginning of April, that software update for Touch Pro (and Touch Pro Duo) will be send soon to their vehicles. Some of them already received them.

Moreover, from the beginning or April, dealers can send the software update over the air. So rather than connecting dealer's laptop to your vehicle, they can trigger it from their TOPIX web-portal.

So some details, how it can be done. Below processes are only for the vehicles which are capable of getting software over the air, so basically those which got Connectivity Packet fitted, SIM card with available data package inserted (or vehicle connected to external WiFi hotspot), and vehicle is in the range of internet connectivity.

Dealer triggered software update over the air

1. your vehicle would need to be added by JLR (either by global team, or by dealer) to the pool of vehicles eligible to get SOTA updates. Dealer can do it via TOPIX web-portal, after entering you VIN, clicking on SOTA toggle button:

2. you need to:
    - make sure you have internet connectivity in your vehicle (SIM card inserted with available data package, Mobile connectivity enabled)
    - Software updates enabled in your vehicle (Settings->All settings>Software update > turned on / Enabled), you need to accept T&Cs.

- then you need to press Check for update to initiate first hand-shake with JLR server. If you would forget to do so, vehicle does hand-shakes every 24h to check new SW availability. After first hand-shake, it is quite rare that new SW is available - look at the next points.
  3. If there is new SW available for you, dealer will see it in the TOPIX. And if there is, he sent it to your vehicle by pressing 'Update'

4. Now you can Check for Update again in your vehicle. The popup should appear saying, that new software is available for installation. You choose to install.

JLR triggered Touch PRO software update over-the-air

As I mentioned above, JLR will periodically send to eligible vehicles new Touch Pro software over the air.
Process is similar as above:
  • JLR will add your vehicle (if not already done before) to the pool of vehicles eligible to get SOTA updates.
  • You would need to have enabled Software Updates
  • Your vehicle is checking every 24h for new software (only if it is powered up; it it is locked, it wont check)
  • You will get popup notification once new SW is available for your vehicle and you need to choose install

Touch Pro software download and installation process
Download and installation of Touch Pro happens in the background and can be over multiple drives. You do not need to care about it. Once 'Install button' was hit, vehicle will do everything for you seamlessly. It can pause process once you lock vehicle, and resumes at the next start of the vehicle. Download and installation is paused once vehicle is locked - that is to protect from getting flatten your 12V battery (YES - you have got one in your I-Pace).

You can check status of the download or install in the software update page. There is no progress bar unfortunately...

Once installation is finished in one drive, at the subsequent drive new software are getting 'activated' to finish the whole process. You can see it as a status in software update page saying 'software installation will continue after vehicle shutdown'. In fact you need to shut down and lock vehicle for 5 minutes, to trigger full re-boot of the Touch Pro.

At the next unlock, Touch Pro boots up from the new software, and software activation process starts. As part of the activation, Live app is downloaded and re-installed. You can spot it, as instead of side panel (the one with Weather, News, mini media player, etc), you have got Jaguar logo. Live app download and install duration depends on your mobile network connectivity. Progress of download and installation of Live you can see if you will enter into Live (from Extra features page, on the right from the HOME page) - you have got a progress bar there [img= class=inlineimg]https://www.i-paceforum.com/forum/images/I-PaceForum/smilies/tango_face_smile_big.png[/img]
Once Live is installed, you will get banner shown "Live apps updated"

In the meantime you can see also the banner, that New Software was installed successfully. From that moment, new software version is also visible in the Software Update page.

FAQ
  • Q: Will maps get updated as part of the update? A: No. You need to follow the process of downloading the map to the USB stick (min 32GB) from the web-site www.jaguar.here.com
  • Q: Can I skip or defer for later the software update? A: Yes, if you will select 'remind me later', new popup reminder will appear no earlier than after 6 hours. If you will skip it, no popups will be shown, but you can manually Check for update.

I just got off the phone with a JLR support manager who 1) Did confirm OTA updates are coming within a couple weeks, 2) There's nothing I need to do as an owner as I should be notified by the car or by the app, 3) To update the maps l, go to https://jaguar.welcome.naviextras.com/

Download the PDF instructions and the installer. It involves taking the SIM from the car, putting into the computer, running the update, then putting the SIM back in the car.

#28 ·
IMPORTANT

Maps updates are via Jaguar Route Planner - this are maps used in Touch Pro and Touch Pro Duo systems. Maps updates are provided every month. If you have already created an account on the above web-site, you are using those credentials to sign-up in the Nav app on your I-Pace. You can also download Android or iPhone app -called Jaguar Route Planner. That is how you can plan the route from your smartphone, and it will be automatically sent to your car.

The other site you quoted, are for maps updates for older infotainment systems called Touch.

#25 ·
What does 19A do differently? I have another appointment in a couple weeks at service, but I know it will be an uphill battle to explain to the service manager that my car needs an update from 18. They already thought it was up to date, which I'm fairly certain it is not based on reading here. I probably won't even bother to try unless there's something of value offered by the update.

#26 ·
The two things I’ve noticed are a) Bluetooth audio seems more reliable when getting out of / back into car quickly, and b) it seems to determine routes faster. Given that one of the items in the 19A release notes was “Navigation start-up speed improvements“, I was hoping for faster boot times, but apparently it meant “navigation start”, not “navigation start-up”.

#27 ·
The first S19A release has these features and bug fixes - S19A_19.07.2-312706
NEW FEATURES INCLUDED IN THIS RELEASE
DRIVER ASSISTANCE FEATURES
Improved warning messages for Reverse Traffic Detection.
CLIMATE
It is now possible to adjust the second row temperature controls (where fitted) from the front upper screen.
NAVIGATION
Improved screen for manually adding personal charging stations.
10" TS only: It is now possible to select numbers and letters on the same screen when entering destination in Navigation system.
(ELECTRIC VEHICLES ONLY)
ELECTRIC VEHICLE SCREENS
Improvements to the auto-add charge station and associated features.
Touchscreen view improved with updated preferred charging station settings.
Simplified range map display.
BLUETOOTH® AUDIO
It is now possible to change Bluetooth® device from the BT Audio screen and in media source selection list screen.
INCONTROL TOUCH PRO DUO TOUCHSCREEN
The lower screen will now dim by the same amount as the upper screen when in stealth mode.
TERRAIN RESPONSE SCREEN
Revised terrain response imagery.
(F-TYPE 19MY ONLY)
WI-FI HOTSPOT
This update introduces hotspot support for F-Types.
ISSUES FIXED IN THIS RELEASE
(VELAR SVA-DYNAMIC ONLY)
ACTIVE EXHAUST BUTTON
Active Exhaust Button now available on lower touchscreen.
BLUETOOTH®
Bluetooth® phone call connection improvements.
Bluetooth® Media will now reconnect automatically after unplugging iPhone™ from the frontportable media interface panel.
General Bluetooth® usability improvements.
CLIMATE
When auto is selected, changing the distribution mode will cancel auto and the blower speedin the rotary dial will now change to its previous value.
NAVIGATION
When searching for specific Points of Interest (POI) using speech, it is no longer necessaryto stipulate a search area.
Navigation start-up speed improvements.
Hybrid Charging Station filtering is now possible on PHEV vehicles.
(ELECTRIC VEHICLES ONLY)
ELECTRIC VEHICLE SCREENS
Display will now work in low power mode.
Electric Vehicle (EV) button is now available on the Touchscreen (PHEV vehicles only).
Creep Mode not correctly displaying in the Touchscreen.
Estimated time to charge is no longer displayed unless a charging cable is connected to the vehicle.
Regenerative braking state can now be selected on-screen at start up.
RADIO
General stability improvements - MW Band.
Tuner screen - various bug fixes.
REVERSE TRAFFIC DETECTION
'Reverse Traffic Detection not available' message will no longer be displayed on touchscreen when system is active.
SMARTPHONE PACK FEATURES
Fixed Smartphone feature failure to launch at startup.
(China only) improved robustness when switching from iPhone™ to Baidu session.
(InControl Touch Duo only) CarPlay screen is not aligned with the center of the Touchscreenwhen launched while source selection screen displayed.
Loss of audio mid-cycle when listening to Spotify with Apple CarPlay.
Improved Android Auto connection strategy.
SYSTEM
STARTUP
General start-up improvements.
GOODBYE SCREEN
Goodbye screen will no longer appear at the wrong time when the engine is switchedoff.
MULTIMEDIA PLAYBACK
General stability improvements.
SPEECH DATABASE UPDATES
Update of Speech Database using service screen - robustness improvements.
(SVR VEHICLES ONLY)
SVR LOGO
SVR Logo no longer changes size during start-up.
REAR SEAT ENTERTAINMENT
General robustness improvements.
The rear screens no longer default to on at start up.
KNOWN ISSUES IN THIS RELEASE
REAR VIEW CAMERA JUDDER
The camera image is not displaying as smoothly as it should be, this is currently underinvestigation and should be fixed in the next full software release

S19A - second release with some additional fixes -S19A_19.11.4-330884
PARKING AID
Parking aid audible alerts occasionally not operating after the last 19A software update has been fixed.

(DISCOVERY ONLY)
AMBIENCE LIGHTING
Ambience lighting will no longer switch off when the Integrated Control Panel is opened

NAVIGATION
The map screen will now switch from night to day mode automatically

(VELAR ONLY)
AIR SUSPENSION CONTROL
Air suspension height control soft buttons now work on the lower touchscreen. These were disabled by the previous 19A software

(VEHICLES WITH REAR HEATED SEATS ONLY)
REAR HEATED SEATS
Rear heated seats will no longer be highlighted in the touchscreen when customer is trying to adjust the front seats

KNOWN ISSUES IN THIS RELEASE
REAR VIEW CAMERA JUDDER
If the customer is experiencing a camera image not displaying as smoothly as it should be,this update may not fix it. The issue is currently under investigation and should be fixed in the next full software release.

#29 ·
The nice improvements in 19A from the above list are:

It is now possible to select numbers and letters on the same screen when entering destination in Navigation system.
Once you are typing in the destination, the on-screen keyboard got a digit soft-keys on the right

INCONTROL TOUCH PRO DUO TOUCHSCREEN
The lower screen will now dim by the same amount as the upper screen when in stealth mode.

In 18D when you were engaging 'Stealth mode' in the night, upper screen was turned off, but backlight of the rotaries with temp control stayed the same. Now all screens (upper, lower and inside temp rotaries) are decreasing back-light, so during night-drive you can have you cabin lights dimmed

There is also one more small fix, which you probably wouldn't notice easily, but when you are starting up in 18D, the jaguar logo after welcome animation finishes, is changing width slightly. It was also fixed in 19A (I think that was together with SVR logo mentioned in the release notes).

#30 ·
@MyA - 'lock' button is to lock changes of SOTA ON/OFF button. This is in case, car belongs to fleet, and fleet manager does not want to allow users to enable or disable software updates.

So if Software updates are ON, it does not matter if lock is ON or OFF, you will get updates

#31 ·
Unfortunately the Vehicle Software tab has disappeared from Topix so the SOTA switch cannot be accessed at this time.

I was curious so I went and asked the dealership service manager about it. He bought up his dealership Topix web page and it has disappeared for him too. He couldn't find any bulletin regarding this either. If you Google for "jaguar topix sota", there are a couple of mentions online about it disappearing over the last few days, but there seems to be no official word on when it will reappear.

#32 ·
Curious if anyone has been able to do an over the air update w/o going to service. My service manager reached out to me this past week to tell me SOTA was available now and gave me instructions, that we all already know, on how to do the update. I tried, but no luck for me. He's looking into why I can't.

#36 ·
I haven’t used CarPlay since upgrading (I only plug in if I’m going for a long trip), and I leave creep off, so no word on either of those.

No improvements to boot up speed, but definitely some stability improvements with Bluetooth audio. Previously the Bluetooth stack would appear to lock up, and trying to disconnect the car from the phone (either from the car or the phone) would not allow you to reestablish a connection without letting the car completely reboot. Now it seems to have issues only when I get out of the car and back in relatively quickly (less than 5m), and either switching sources back and forth (Bluetooth->radio->Bluetooth), or disconnecting and reconnecting from the car side fixes it.

Also, it seems to be faster at planning routes using the built-in navigation. From the time you select where you’re going to when you can press start it seems like a shorter wait.

Unfortunately no improvement to the stuttering backup camera. I just had the car in for service this week to do H193NAS2 and get the mirror and charging speed issues on record. The service adviser thought H193NAS2 would fix the camera, but as expected (based on the notes from 19A) it didn’t. Also JLR NA doesn’t seem to think there is a problem trying to charge at 100kw (“If the charger is capable of delivering it the car will use it,” also a complete lie).

#38 ·
Hi, I updated from 18D to 19A on May 6th. I am in the Bay Area in California. It works great, no problems, and for me Apple CarPlay works much better now (with 18D it would suddenly tell me there was an error in the connection but I haven't had that since 19A).
Initially the car showed 'no update available' so I contacted the person at my JLR dealership who is pretty knowledgeable and he asked me for my VIN and after a few minutes he asked me to check again and the car then recognized there was an update. After I confirmed that I wanted to proceed the system downloaded the update over 3G and installed it while I was driving, no problem. It works great.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.