Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum - View Single Post - Insider knowledge... I will help where I can
View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-16-2019, 05:22 AM Thread Starter
grogee

Insider knowledge... I will help where I can

Hello all

I worked on the X590 (i-PACE) programme from 2016-18 in Jaguar Land Rover. My responsibilities included making sure the dealer network had access to relevant tooling, training and workshop information for the new battery EV being introduced. Along the way I learned a few things about the car which may be of interest.

I know that these forums are full of conjecture and conflicting information so I will help answer questions where I can. The dealer network is often unhelpful as their word is taken as gospel by customers (quite rightly assuming that they know everything about the car) whereas they may not be fully informed.

For instance, I recently read that during 'live working' (lid off battery) there needs to be a technician whose sole job it is to hold an insulated hook in order to pull the operating technician out of trouble should he or she be incapacitated by the ~500v DC inside the battery.

This is true - for a limited amount of time. The tech with the hook needs to be on hand while the lid is removed from the battery, and while the battery is reduced to a 'safe' state - eg the bus bars are removed in sequence to reduce max voltage to 36v or thereabouts. Once this is done (maybe an hour's work) the tech with the hook can go off and do something more useful!

The i-PACE itself was an interesting project and certainly threw up some new challenges for the business, things you may not immediately think of like:

- how our Parts department manages the distribution and storage of 20,000 batteries that have a shelf life and ideally require periodical charging. The battery packs weigh around 600kg (1 ton?) and cannot be shipped via air freight and are made in Poland.

Let me know if you have any questions and I'll do my best to answer. In the meantime, enjoy your lovely new cars... a pic of stacked empty battery packs attached for your enjoyment!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170628_144712.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	229.9 KB
ID:	2309  

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome