All LED lighting? - Page 2 - Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 10:19 AM Thread Starter

They would have an accessory battery. I think every EV has an accessory 12V battery on them.
post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 10:52 AM

Forgot about that extra battery for running miscellaneous things like LED lighting. How much additional weight does that add and if we don't go for LED lighting, would they leave that portion out?
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 10:30 AM Thread Starter

I would say maybe 15-20lbs or something. They can't leave the 12V accessory battery out because it does a lot more than power LED lights. It covers things like the lights, heating/cooling sometimes, the infotainment system, etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-01-2017, 11:14 AM

Batteries weren't going to be light anyways, what's an additional 15-20 lbs in the grand scheme of things and it's a necessity for running more than just you LEDs. Though it does make me wonder if we can add additional lighting and connect it to that battery.
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-02-2017, 10:52 AM Thread Starter

Wouldn't doubt it at all. You'll always find those guys that are "weight reduction everything" that'll go for a Shuriken or something along those lines which are great, but I don't feel like it's necessary at all.
post #16 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-02-2017, 11:19 AM

An EV is the last place anyone should be looking for weight reduction. But back to LED lights and the car's battery. Will the 12V accessory battery be able to handle something like those door flood lights?
post #17 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-03-2017, 11:10 AM

I assume any additional electronics will drain the battery faster, but something as small as flood lights shouldn't really affect the battery drain too much. They're only on when you open and close the door which isn't too often.
post #18 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-05-2017, 10:41 AM Thread Starter

Tell that to the P100d guys that are removing their "frunks"

Adding all of these lights won't individually drain your battery that noticeably fast, but when you start layering them on, you'll see a noticeable dip in range when they're all being operated. Pretty simple. Just like running the AC system or heating whilst driving. It adds up.
post #19 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-07-2017, 11:04 PM

In the end it shouldn't be too much of a concern. Car makers always allow some threshold of power for accessories and as a fail safe for car regardless of accessories.

Once these arrive, just add whatever reasonable amount of accessories you want and test from their on.
post #20 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-21-2017, 11:54 PM Thread Starter

It's going to be a long log of trial and error haha but nonetheless, my range that I require really isn't much at all so I'll have everything going and not really notice it or care too much at the end of the day. Maybe when I know I'll have to trek out a little farther, I may be a little concerned and act accordingly, but I doubt I'll need to for majority of the time.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page