Manually adjustable steering wheel - Page 2 - Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-01-2018, 02:00 AM

DOH!

Chrysler Pacifica Minivan - 19.85' curb to curb, 204" long.

Jaguar i-Pace FE Photon Red 20" wheels, "Leaper"
Two Chevrolet Volts in service
24.2 kW x 480v 3ph solar array self-installed.
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-01-2018, 02:08 AM Thread Starter

Tesla specs on the Model S turning radius show 18.5' - not great, but far more respectable than 20.35. I rarely have problems with car length, for me it's a narrow width and tight turning circle that help the most with maneuverability in town.

I don't think there's anything about EVs that hinders a good turning circle. It just seems to be something a lot of carmakers don't care much about. Perhaps I'm unusual, but I find good turning ability makes a car much more pleasant to drive in the city; makes no difference on the road, of course. Doesn't pretty much any transmission allow shifting reverse/forward at low speeds? I do that every day in the old Lexus, backing out of my garage.
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-01-2018, 02:24 AM Thread Starter

How about the Honda Odyssey? 203" long, 188" wheelbase, but turns in an 18.3' radius - better than the much smaller I-Pace or the similarly small Model 3.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-01-2018, 02:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McRat View Post
The wheelbase on the i-Pace is exceptionally long for the OAL
I thought the i-Pace having the wheels on the four corners was a good thing (handling and increased cabin-space; don't need bonnet/hood if no engine ...)

If that continues to be a BEV solution (to combat battery weight) maybe rear-wheel-steer will become a thing?
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-01-2018, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil View Post
Tesla specs on the Model S turning radius show 18.5' - not great, but far more respectable than 20.35. I rarely have problems with car length, for me it's a narrow width and tight turning circle that help the most with maneuverability in town.

I don't think there's anything about EVs that hinders a good turning circle. It just seems to be something a lot of carmakers don't care much about. Perhaps I'm unusual, but I find good turning ability makes a car much more pleasant to drive in the city; makes no difference on the road, of course. Doesn't pretty much any transmission allow shifting reverse/forward at low speeds? I do that every day in the old Lexus, backing out of my garage.
Yes, that more likely. I typed in 'Model S turning radius' in the Google Chrome window, and it gave me the 20.35' number.

It is more of a hindrance if you take it off-road. Then it's a critical feature. 3 point turns are not always an option on a fireroad.

post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-01-2018, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeslaOwner View Post
I thought the i-Pace having the wheels on the four corners was a good thing (handling and increased cabin-space; don't need bonnet/hood if no engine ...)

If that continues to be a BEV solution (to combat battery weight) maybe rear-wheel-steer will become a thing?
It's an engineering trade-off. The chassis must be made stronger since the wheels are further from the CG, it increases the turning radius, and it reduces 'high centering' ground clearance.
But it gives better response when cornering, improves wall-to-wall turning radius, allows for more interior room, and normally improves approach and departure angles of attack.

Rear wheel steering is nice, but it too is a trade-off. It increases weight, consumes room, adds price. It is not new tech, but it has never gained wide acceptance. I think it's an important feature on a big car. The extended wheelbase GM SUVs (Suburban and Yukon XL) had it as did their pickups at one time, and few ordered it. All Cadillacs CT6s with AWD have it.
TeslaOwner likes this.

Last edited by McRat; 07-01-2018 at 10:16 AM.
post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-01-2018, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil View Post
I understand the I-Pace steering wheel does not have any electronic adjustment available - no memory, no automatic movement for vehicle exit and entry, no nothing. Just a manual unlock lever and manual vertical and horizontal adjustments.

This seems really odd. Even my ancient Lexus - from the last Century - has fully automatic steering wheel adjustment. I suppose I'll get used to it, but it would have been a nice little feature to have included, at least as an option .

I agree it seems odd for a car of that price, but to me sure seems like a way to save money for the company and offer it as "that much less than a Tesla". That being said it sure wouldn't be a deal breaker for me. I could care less if it was manual or electric because I know first hand when they break, it's an expensive fix (when my motorized wheel gizmo broke on my 95 VDP). For me it's one less thing to break and I can adjust that wheel faster manually than wait for it to electrically gear into position. Seat has to be recallable for me, but wheel - no. Or the tailgate - I could care less if it was manual or self closing. I'd rather save the money and have manual steering adjustment and manual tailgate and put the money on the wheels I like.

2017 FPace - S Odyssey Red, black blades, black pack
2007 XK coupe in Black w Carelia wheels
2016 Cadillac ELR
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-01-2018, 02:38 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by McRat View Post
(cars with longer noses/OAL need more room for cars or walls than shorter cars)
Ok, now I see what you are saying. Yes, the I-Pace' relatively short snout would tend to reduce its wall-to-wall circle. Maybe it'll be decent for many of the situations I'll need to maneuver. Thanks
post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-01-2018, 02:44 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by deafsoundguy View Post
I could care less if it was manual or electric because I know first hand when they break, it's an expensive fix (when my motorized wheel gizmo broke on my 95 VDP).
In my experience, a Lexus never breaks. Twenty years with the LS, and none of the motors have even thought about breaking. I know, Jaguars are not like that. Still, the I-Pace is cool, and I figure what the heck, I can live with a few breakdowns or repairs.
post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-02-2018, 01:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deafsoundguy View Post
I can adjust that wheel faster manually than wait for it to electrically gear into position
I agree one-more-thing-to-break, and Tesla is covered in mini-motors - even the door handles are "self presenting" ...

But the time-to-move (seat / wheel) is not a thing as fob is linked to driver profile, so as you open the door everything starts moving and unless you & spouse are giant / midget its gonna be done by the time you are actually sliding in.

If seat moves I don't suppose that whatever position a (manual) steering wheel was left would prevent ingress, but maybe it would for some? The Exit Profile on Tesla tends to be steering-up, as well as seat-back, so maybe it matters to some

Quote:
Or the tailgate - I could care less if it was manual or self closing
Same thing there really, useful when you need it. My wife would struggle to reach the tailgate when it is up. And approaching the car with an armful of shopping having self-opening is nice. And it stops opening if there is something above it, a manual one is just going to bump into an obstruction I suppose (assuming you don't realise in time ...)

But, yeah, proper 1st-world-problems.

Back in the old days I would always go to the passenger door, unlock it, and open it for my passenger, and then close it. Then go and clamber into the driver's side.

Central locking knocked all that chivalry out of me ...

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page