Heating and climate control - Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By x43x
  • 2 Post By StormRune
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Unread 11-26-2019, 02:38 PM Thread Starter

Heating and climate control

I don't like driving with the auto climate control on most of the time - it seems a waste of energy to be running the AC when not needed. However, I have a question regarding the heating system.
Today was a 30 degree morning. With the climate panel powered on, but without the auto climate control on, I has warm air blowing from the vents. With an ICE this seems normal since the engine heat is warming the incoming air. But with an EV where is this heat coming from? Is it possible to turn off this source of heat and just get fresh air blowing into the cabin. [I had noticed this earlier in the Fall, but thought that it was due to air being blown thru vents that were warm due to the sun beating down on the dash]. Powering off the climate system kills the vent fan so I get no air at all. I looked thru the manual and couldn't find anything. Any ideas?
post #2 of 6 (permalink) Unread 11-26-2019, 06:52 PM

Can't comment on the I-Pace but the Model S is the same....no "Vent Only" selection. What I do is turn off AC and turn the heater temp all the way to Low.
epirali likes this.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Unread 11-26-2019, 10:02 PM

Here's some official info on I-Pace heat management: https://www.jaguarusa.com/electrific...-distance.html

Since the car is harvesting heat from the motors and the batteries IF they are in need of cooling, running the heat in moderate temperatures may not have a huge impact on the battery since the heat from the motor/battery cooling systems will just be discarded otherwise. (I realize at times the batteries are heated at times too, especially when it gets cold out).

Here's another interesting article on the heat pump and the value of preconditioning: https://www.sae.org/news/2018/11/ev-heat-pumps

I'd never heard of a vapor-injection heat pump before. Interesting.
epirali and gbillcb like this.

Last edited by StormRune; 11-26-2019 at 10:11 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Unread Yesterday, 01:03 AM

I do the same as x43x, 70 degrees and sunny outside I ensure the hvac is on, recirc is off, the temps turned down and the AC off. Opening a back window give more air flow, but is noisy. The air flow outflow vents are out of a rubber covered vent in the drivers side, back corner of the car. You can see it if the rear bumper cover is off. This also brings up a surprise that occurred after I got my I-Pace home. Every 2 bit electric car for sale in the US since 2011 had electric seat heaters as standard equipment. My Ford Focus Electric had them and on most days, they were all you needed to keep your self warm. They used <1 kilowatt. I was shocked to see that seat heaters were an extra cost item on the I-Pace. So I made sure I got an I-Pace with the expensive seat heaters. I had a nasty surprise reading the owners manual, when I got the car home. The seat heaters are not electric wires in the seats, they are heated by the heat from the heater water tank and the manual says they are very inefficient. It appears that the Jag engineers never looked at or drove any other electric cars before designing their seat heaters.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Unread Yesterday, 10:20 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by x43x View Post
Can't comment on the I-Pace but the Model S is the same....no "Vent Only" selection. What I do is turn off AC and turn the heater temp all the way to Low.
Thanks. I was assuming that the temp setting on the little knob was only operative in "auto" mode.
I have no problem with the amount of air flow, but was curious as to why I was getting warm air on a frosty morning. I assume this is heat from both the motors and the battery and not from the heatpump.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Unread Yesterday, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trielectric View Post
This also brings up a surprise that occurred after I got my I-Pace home. Every 2 bit electric car for sale in the US since 2011 had electric seat heaters as standard equipment. My Ford Focus Electric had them and on most days, they were all you needed to keep your self warm. They used <1 kilowatt. I was shocked to see that seat heaters were an extra cost item on the I-Pace. So I made sure I got an I-Pace with the expensive seat heaters. I had a nasty surprise reading the owners manual, when I got the car home. The seat heaters are not electric wires in the seats, they are heated by the heat from the heater water tank and the manual says they are very inefficient. It appears that the Jag engineers never looked at or drove any other electric cars before designing their seat heaters.
Not that this is an excuse, but I believe the basic philosophy behind the I Pace was not to make an electric car that is most efficient, rather to make a luxury car that is electric. Which also explains getting 20p to 240 miles from 90 kwhr battery.

I think this one distinction explains a lot of the differences you seen the Jaguar compared to the Leaf, the I3, the bolt and other electric cars. I believe the Audi E Tron SUV is similar.