Potential New Owner - no Wifi access - Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum
 6Likes
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Unread 10-24-2019, 10:10 AM Thread Starter

Potential New Owner - no Wifi access

Hello all I’m new to the forum and thank everyone who were the brave early adopters and have passed on so, so much great information to us all. I’m currently looking at a new 2019 HSE to replace my car and have one issue I’d like to investigate. I live in a high rise condo in San Francisco so my home wifi is no where near able to reach my parking spot. So my question is do you need home wifi access to get/install all of these SORA updates or is there another way to do that efficiently? Thanks!
post #2 of 22 (permalink) Unread 10-24-2019, 11:08 AM

Hi there, welcome potentially to the club. If you are willing to sign up for an ATT data plan (around $15/month) you can use cellular data for various functions, including I believe SOTA. There are two cellular data links, one provides telemetry and remote control, the other is for live searches, internet access, potential hotspot and I believe SOTA.
waja likes this.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Unread 10-24-2019, 12:13 PM

Or use your phone as a hotspot

Though I suspect that SOTA over cellular will take pretty long, so I would look for another solution where you have access to fast wifi when you want to do an update.
epirali likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Unread 10-24-2019, 01:20 PM

I posted about using Mint Mobile as a SIM, cheaper than ATT if you buy annually. It work with a little tweak that I posted. Then WiFi is not needed and plus you get the on demand data such as traffic and charging locations in navigation.
epirali likes this.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Unread 10-24-2019, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sciencegeek View Post
Or use your phone as a hotspot

Though I suspect that SOTA over cellular will take pretty long, so I would look for another solution where you have access to fast wifi when you want to do an update.
I used my phone as a hotspot and download took 30 minutes and install 10 minutes. Would that fall in the pretty long category? I really do not know how quickly a fast wifi would take.
sciencegeek likes this.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Unread 10-25-2019, 08:52 AM

I've always wondered why we can't do software updates using USB. Maps updates are done with USB. Is it a securtity issue? Or are the update downloads too big to fit on USB?
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Unread 10-25-2019, 10:56 AM

I haven't successfully done a SOTA update yet... curious how long they typically take? 10-20 min? To address cyclensf's non-wifi parking spot, could the update be done *near* a Starbucks, Panera Bread, or other public wifi? It's not something that's frequently needed, but not something you'd want to have to go to the dealer for either (although many of the modules still cannot be SOTA updated and do require dealer update). I agree with sciencegeek that a phone hotspot could be a reasonable solution, becoming even more feasible as higher speeds (5G) roll out.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Unread 10-25-2019, 10:36 PM

Maybe park outside Starbucks or similar. Of course the dealer can do the update when you are in for service.

I assume you are squared away on actual charging.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Unread 10-26-2019, 11:15 AM

A lot of dealers have wi-fi guest support. You could park outside the dealer and do it there.

If there's any problem, you're right there to ready to complain and get it fixed.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Unread 10-30-2019, 09:40 PM

Three questions for the experts on this forum.
1) So we can SOTA update when connected over WiFi to our home internet network? Is my understanding correct?
2) if so I presume you could update maps too.
3) Do we need ATT for live traffic?
Thanks John