Triple 'unlock' to release charger... - Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By Meldev##44
  • 2 Post By 2761

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-31-2019, 12:09 AM Thread Starter

Exclamation Triple 'unlock' to release charger...

Part of the dealer recall visit I did this week was their putting a new instruction sticker on the inside of the charging bay door.

It provides an instruction I have never heard or read before. It may be part of a software update, or maybe it's always been true and undocumented (or I just missed it).

To release the charging cord, hit 'unlock' on the fob three times in quick succession. SFAIK, just unlocking the car once used to do it, right? (Except when it didn't, which I have experienced.)

2019 I-Pace 400EV HSE First Edition
Corris Grey - Ebony/Ebony
Delivered 2/22/19
post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-31-2019, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauderdaleFE View Post
Part of the dealer recall visit I did this week was their putting a new instruction sticker on the inside of the charging bay door.

It provides an instruction I have never heard or read before. It may be part of a software update, or maybe it's always been true and undocumented (or I just missed it).

To release the charging cord, hit 'unlock' on the fob three times in quick succession. SFAIK, just unlocking the car once used to do it, right? (Except when it didn't, which I have experienced.)
iGuide says to press the unlock button 3 times to unlock charge port if you have 2 stage unlock set, e.g. press unlock once for driver's door and twice for all doors. iGuide then says to wait 6 seconds before disconnecting the cable.

I always press unlock at least twice and listen for the locking mechanism to release. The white LED never illuminates reliably and lately the green LED comes on when I unlock the car despite the car not charging. It's an odd change.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-31-2019, 01:42 AM

Interesting. I have 2 stage unlock set, but simply pushing the unlock button on the drivers door handle has always unlocked and released the charging cable.

I-Pace FE, Corris Gray, 20" rims
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-31-2019, 02:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by squishball View Post
Interesting. I have 2 stage unlock set, but simply pushing the unlock button on the driver’s door handle has always unlocked and released the charging cable.
That's a great idea!
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-01-2019, 12:01 AM

So is there a way to enter while the car is charging, without stopping a charge session? (Locked doors)
This would be nice to do as restarting a charger would cost another session fee, and more $$.
Time2Roll likes this.

Jaguar I-Pace SE Borasco Grey Mars Red Interior Clear Bra Ceramic Coat
20" Wheels Mud Flaps Meridian Surround Sound Driver Assist Pack
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-01-2019, 12:22 AM

I-Pace charging is generally a PITN. At 10pm tonight I will plug in to charge. Why do I have to open the unlocked door to have it start? Insane.

In the morning the I-pace will still be charging. Can I just unplug like any other EV? No way. Need to unlock the unlocked car in the privacy of my own garage. Crazy.

Last edited by Time2Roll; 09-01-2019 at 12:28 AM.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-01-2019, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meldev##44 View Post
So is there a way to enter while the car is charging, without stopping a charge session? (Locked doors)
This would be nice to do as restarting a charger would cost another session fee, and more $$.
I've only connected to a commercial charger once but didn't lock the doors and when I came back I opened the door and sat down inside while waiting for the session to end.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-01-2019, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time2Roll View Post
I-Pace charging is generally a PITN. At 10pm tonight I will plug in to charge. Why do I have to open the unlocked door to have it start? Insane.

In the morning the I-pace will still be charging. Can I just unplug like any other EV? No way. Need to unlock the unlocked car in the privacy of my own garage. Crazy.
The charge port lock is designed for the European market where the driver uses his/her own charging cable. Locking should be either disabled or selectable in North America. It would be an easy fix - much simpler than left versus right hand drive or the different emissions requirements.

Hopefully this will be a future fix. Not only is it a major nuisance but many drivers have accidentally broken the lock when unplugging because the white LED usually doesn't illuminate and it's not clear if the cable is unlocked. Once the lock is broken the car won't charge.
epirali and keijidosha like this.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-01-2019, 02:03 PM

Of course this morning the handle will not release in the privacy of my garage and vehicle unlocked.
Open the drivers door, nothing.
Press the door unlock, nothing.
Must sit down in the vehicle, lock the doors, unlock the doors, exit vehicle and the charging cord is now released.
I believe pressing unlock on the fob would have also worked.... and required me to go upstairs and grab the fob.

I mean who at Jaguar thought this was necessary?

Just a rhetorical question to express continued frustration. No reply needed.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page