Using I-Pace for hurricane Dorian charging... - Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By 2761

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-30-2019, 08:56 PM Thread Starter

Question Using I-Pace for hurricane Dorian charging...

I just got my car back from the dealer for the regen update and other software updates.

I asked if the USB port drew its power off the 12 V battery, and that was confirmed. But they added it will be recharged by the car, as it is normally.

Will that require the car is fully on, or just electrically on? Or actually in motion, including the regen?

My plan is to have it in the garage and sheltered for recharging my phone (if I cannot get a generator, which are in short supply as you might imagine). I'm also wondering if the USB can charge my laptop.

2019 I-Pace 400EV HSE First Edition
Corris Grey - Ebony/Ebony
Delivered 2/22/19
post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-30-2019, 09:12 PM

The 12V battery does provide power to the USB and 12V outlets. According to my service advisor the high voltage drive battery will trickle charge the 12V if needed.

The USB and 12V outlets have power when a door is first opened, when the car is in accessory mode (push start button without foot on the brake) or the car is on. The car doesn't need to be moving.

After the vehicle is turned off there is still power going to the outlets until a door is opened or for 10 minutes if no door is opened - similar to the listening to the radio after turning off the car.

USB should recharge the tablet or laptop.

Please keep us informed on how you're doing during the storm and I wish you the best of luck and no injuries to you and those you care for.
LauderdaleFE likes this.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-30-2019, 10:28 PM Thread Starter

I scored a generator in a restock window at Home Depot. 18 on the floor went down to 6 in about 10 minutes.

I am blessed, and so my question is now somewhat mooted. Still interested to know, though.

Delivered 2/22/19
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-30-2019, 10:50 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurtSprings View Post
The 12V battery does provide power to the USB and 12V outlets. According to my service advisor the high voltage drive battery will trickle charge the 12V if needed.

The USB and 12V outlets have power when a door is first opened, when the car is in accessory mode (push start button without foot on the brake) or the car is on. The car doesn't need to be moving.

After the vehicle is turned off there is still power going to the outlets until a door is opened or for 10 minutes if no door is opened - similar to the listening to the radio after turning off the car.

USB should recharge the tablet or laptop.

Please keep us informed on how you're doing during the storm and I wish you the best of luck and no injuries to you and those you care for.
Thanks for the reply and your good wishes! I've been through many here since 1983, but not a 4 or 5 at landfall (except Andrew, but that was probably over 90 miles south of where I was at the time, and it was small). If it goes north of here 50 miles or more as estimated, the storm surge will be minimal for the southeast quadrant where I am. Just 10 feet of surge at high tide would put the canal in the back into my house, so please, God no.

I got the I-Pace in part for its AWD and 20 inch fording ability to handle the flooding.

Delivered 2/22/19
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-31-2019, 03:00 AM

Yikes! Stay safe.

Photon FE, 2013 FR-S, 2017 RAM 1500, 2014 Forester
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-31-2019, 07:36 AM

Only thing that may be of note from other EVs I have had is that SOME will not charge the 12V from main traction battery UNLESS the car drive system is "on." That means car has to be on and ready to move (not drive but ignition on). I am not sure if this applies to the Jaguar. Being an EV I used to turn the car on, leave the key in, turn off AC and lights and then use the USB charges for charging things.

Good luck and be safe.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-31-2019, 10:55 AM

When I brought my car in for HV traction battery drain I recommended to the service advisor that because the hazard button was illuminated he should keep the car attached to a charger to avoid killing the 12V battery. He said that the 12V wouldn't drain because the traction battery would transfer energy. This was over a weekend of the vehicle being parked and not driven. So it seems, at least on the surface, that the I-Pace does use the HV battery to charge the 12V battery when the vehicle is shut down. Although, he may be incorrect.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-31-2019, 12:01 PM

The car will not stay powered up for more than 15 minutes at a time (if I counted correctly) without being driven. You can't sit there in accessory mode or "engine on" mode for longer than that time period.

I just tried this for doing the latest map update. Normally I plug in the map update and drive to work. The 50 minute drive is what it takes to do the update. This time I tried without driving and went about other things. It shut down and I had to "start" it twice to get the update to continue. The third restart showed that the map update had finished.

I've even tried accessory mode while plugged into to a charger at home or away at 50kW charger. It still shuts off.

Charging devices by the USB port won't be any more successful. You might consider taking off the cover in the frunk and clipping a converter to the posts on the larger battery (right side of car) if you really need to charge this way. I hope the situation doesn't come to this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page