HOWTO: I-Pace & Google Fi - Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum
 3Likes
  • 3 Post By juice

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-22-2019, 11:44 AM Thread Starter

HOWTO: I-Pace & Google Fi

The data SIM is not the most useful thing ever in the I-Pace. However, if you want it work, but you're too cheap or otherwise disinclined to pay AT&T, Google Fi is an option.

I-Pace can be made to work with Google Fi by doing this stuff:

• request a data only SIM card from Google Fi
  • get a nano-to-micro SIM card adapter
  • activate SIM card following instructions that came with it
  • plug adapted SIM card into I-Pace
  • Go to Settings -> All Settings -> Connectivity
    • turn on Mobile Data (toggle button on right)
    • touch the left part of Mobile Data after it finishes reading the SIM card to open Mobile Settings
      • touch Network Provider to open Network Provider Settings
        • switch off Auto Select
        • set Network to "h2g2" (Why h2g2? I don't know but I want to believe it's a reference to Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy)
        • leave the Username and Password blank
        • touch "Connect" at the bottom (you might have to touch Username and/or Password and not enter anything to enable the Connect button)

It will think for a moment. If it's working you'll see 4G in the upper right corner of the display. Is the I-Pace now a Fi-Pace?

I learned how to make this work from this F-Pace forum post. This configuration is generally affirmed by Google here (click #4 to expand details). I'm re-posting the information in this forum in hopes it might be easier to find for I-Pace owners.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ipace_connectivity.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	243.9 KB
ID:	1951   Click image for larger version

Name:	ipace_mobile_settings.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	218.9 KB
ID:	1953   Click image for larger version

Name:	ipace_network_provider.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	153.1 KB
ID:	1955  
McRat, jsimon7777 and ryzvy like this.

Last edited by juice; 06-22-2019 at 11:47 AM.
post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-22-2019, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by juice View Post
The data SIM is not the most useful thing ever in the I-Pace. However, if you want it work, but you're too cheap or otherwise disinclined to pay AT&T, Google Fi is an option.

I-Pace can be made to work with Google Fi by doing this stuff:

• request a data only SIM card from Google Fi
  • get a nano-to-micro SIM card adapter
  • activate SIM card following instructions that came with it
  • plug adapted SIM card into I-Pace
  • Go to Settings -> All Settings -> Connectivity
    • turn on Mobile Data (toggle button on right)
    • touch the left part of Mobile Data after it finishes reading the SIM card to open Mobile Settings
      • touch Network Provider to open Network Provider Settings
        • switch off Auto Select
        • set Network to "h2g2" (Why h2g2? I don't know but I want to believe it's a reference to Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy)
        • leave the Username and Password blank
        • touch "Connect" at the bottom (you might have to touch Username and/or Password and not enter anything to enable the Connect button)

It will think for a moment. If it's working you'll see 4G in the upper right corner of the display. Is the I-Pace now a Fi-Pace?

I learned how to make this work from this F-Pace forum post. This configuration is generally affirmed by Google here (click #4 to expand details). I'm re-posting the information in this forum in hopes it might be easier to find for I-Pace owners.
Wow, good stuff. Thanks for sharing. Have been curious how good Google Fi is.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-22-2019, 04:53 PM

Google Fi is great. It's just not as fast as Verizon.

Photon FE, 2013 FR-S, 2017 RAM 1500, 2014 Forester
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-22-2019, 08:07 PM

Thx for sharing but I have to ask why? Fi is $10.00 a gig actually prorated at 1.00 for 100 mb. If you use more than two gig you are better off using ATT which is basically unlimited unthrottled data up to 22gig for 20.00 a month. If you are a rare being that sips data then Fi may be better.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-22-2019, 10:53 PM

3 phones for us on Google Fi. 2 GB total usage. That was more than usual for us. Now we have a fourth phone for my son. Four lines for about $100 a month? Sounds good. We'd only add the car for the extra few features it gives, plus sometimes I need to access my laptop and then I don't have to set up a hotspot on the phone. Meh...

Photon FE, 2013 FR-S, 2017 RAM 1500, 2014 Forester
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-04-2019, 04:50 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bguidizi View Post
Thx for sharing but I have to ask why? Fi is $10.00 a gig actually prorated at 1.00 for 100 mb. If you use more than two gig you are better off using ATT which is basically unlimited unthrottled data up to 22gig for 20.00 a month. If you are a rare being that sips data then Fi may be better.
My June Fi bill for 1 phone + I-Pace data SIM was $31.28 total. I used 597 MB in my monthly billing cycle between the car and the phone. The data part cost $5.97 (it's $0.01/MB), there's a $20 flat fee for the phone service, and $5.31 in taxes and fees. I don't know the current rates for AT&T, but I would guess that I would have paid at least double on their network.

For me, Fi is by far the cheapest plan and is also superior to any carrier I've ever used and it's not even close on either front.

The absurdity of discussing low cost mobile service on a forum for people who probably spent over $90,000 on a car is not lost on me. I am cheap even though I drive around an I-Pace.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 09:21 PM

I purchased a Mint Mobile SIM since I don't have a Fi account. I was able to get it to work by setting the name to "alpha" instead of letting it auto select. I will connect with auto select, but keeps trying to reconnect and is limited to 3G. Setting to alpha, it connected and stayed at 4G. I did a speed test and got 15Mbs down and 9Mbs up, so pretty decent for data only link.

The Mint is easy to test because for $45 you can purchase the SIM and try it out with no further commitments. Then if it works, they have what I think was one of the cheapest options to just pre-pay for the year and the monthly is in the $10-$15 range if I recall.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page