LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-03-2019, 10:43 PM Thread Starter

Lithium Battery Longevity

This is a good thread/video to check out on the UK forum:

https://www.ipaceforums.co.uk/viewto...p=11076#p11076

Or, watch the video here:

dtgsrq likes this.
post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-03-2019, 11:45 PM

The Idaho National Lab did some EV testings that included capacity decay. Don't remember the specific pages but here's where to start:
https://avt.inl.gov/vehicle-type/bev
WattAJag and LewisLatimer like this.

Jaguar i-Pace FE Photon Red 20" wheels, "Leaper"
Two Chevrolet Volts in service
24.2 kW x 480v 3ph solar array self-installed.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-04-2019, 10:23 AM

Notes from INL tests:
Watercooled LG Chem pouch cells, late chemistry (2016 Volt) = After 29,915 miles capacity dropped 3.6%. Hopefully we see this kind of decay curve.
Aircooled Nissan Leaf (2013) = after 15k miles, 19.9% loss of capacity.
Watercooled BMW i3 (2014) = after 12k miles, 8.1% loss of capacity.
Teslas were not tested by INL for capacity, although they are inferior to LG Chem based on owner reports.

The closest chemistry to us is probably the Volt pouches. Or at least we can hope. The LG Chem cells for the GM cars was developed in GM's battery lab, one of the largest in the world. Probably #1. Whether Jaguar was allowed access to the same pouches is unknown. The LG Chem cells are probably top dog right now.
NerdUno likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-04-2019, 12:11 PM

anyone know how to actually see the charging speed in real time of the I-Pace? Most other EVs provide this info somewhere in the consoles but I have not been able to locate anything like this on mine. I know some of the charging stations give the details but I want to info inside the car.
McRat and LewisLatimer like this.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-04-2019, 12:41 PM

AFAIK, at this point, Jaguar wants you to install their suggested ChargePoint EVSE which is a 'smart' charger and it will display charging data.
IMO - Jaguar has not done an adequate job with their on-board charging software:
1) No setting for Max Charge %. This helps in two ways: Full regen does not occur until you are <93% charged. This will improve your brake life. Charging to less than 100% is normally better for battery life.
2) No GPS based charging 'departure' time to minimize Time-Of-Use power costs, while allowing instant charging when not charging at home.
3) No setting for Max Charge Amps. This is important because many commercial (and some residential) charging is now Demand Based Charging. In our area, it's $17.32 per kW peak charging rate. So a setting of 3.5 kW would save about $70 a month in additional power fees (compared to 7.5kW) above what kWh you actually use. Demand Rates reward people for charging slower during peak hours.
4) Charging door LED turns off after initial handshaking. So you can't easily tell what your charging status is. And with no light, it could entice people to try and unplug your car since they see no charging light and could assume you are finished charging or not charging.
5) Power use radial bar graph on dashboard does not show a kW number. So you do not know how fast you are charging, or how high the regen rate is. This is useful for saving time when the charging rate falls, and the regen number tells you how efficiently are driving.
Varun, dtgsrq and phila like this.

Last edited by McRat; 01-04-2019 at 12:44 PM.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-04-2019, 02:03 PM

Great video, although lengthy. In short, the key factors discussed are:

1. Ambient Temperature (keep temp lower, heat degrades battery cells*)
2. Discharge Rate (charging more slowly is better than DC fast charging)
3. SOC Limit (charging to lower SOC levels (e.g., 80-85%) extends battery life)
4. SOC Cycle Range (mid-range cycling (e.g., SOC 75% to 25%) far better than SOC 100% to 50%)
* Harder in FL and AZ, but, conversely, range is more limited in cold climates, so pick your poison ;-)
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-04-2019, 09:04 PM

Keep in mind JLR has engineers very dedicated to the long life of the battery and direct information from the battery manufacturer.
Unless something is done consistently to shorten the life.... the I-Pace will take care of itself.
drscott likes this.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-04-2019, 10:19 PM

LG Chem probably has the best batteries in the business right now. This is based on their success with the Volt and Bolt. Very, very little decay.
wilco likes this.

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-05-2019, 10:56 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtgsrq View Post
Great video, although lengthy. In short, the key factors discussed are:

* Harder in FL and AZ, but, conversely, range is more limited in cold climates, so pick your poison ;-)
I would expect that the car's internal cooling system should keep the batteries from getting hot - even when your garage is. And, yes - our range (I'm AZ) is much better with the huge number of 70+ degree days.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-07-2019, 11:44 PM
Super Moderator

Here's the link to the original article this video is based on
https://batteryuniversity.com/learn/...ased_batteries
LewisLatimer likes this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page