Data Plans Value and Infotainment Problems - Page 4 - Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-25-2019, 11:07 PM

I have my Mobile Data off right now - because every time I turn it on I get "Unable to connect" errors pop up and it's annoying. I can still use InControl and get Journeys, etc ...

I believe that the dealer didn't set me up right on my 2nd I-Pace (my first died & was replaced). I never got an AT&T email about the 2nd car. But, I'm not missing it.
post #32 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-12-2019, 06:53 PM

Garage
It appears that traffic data is routed through the Personal SIM, not the Telematics SIM. At least I didn't get traffic data until I turned Mobile Data on (not the hotspot, just mobile data). Also, https://www.jaguarusa.com/incontrol/...-services.html definitely alludes to it being part of the Pro services, which use the Personal SIM.
post #33 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-12-2019, 10:44 PM

Yes. I lost live traffic data when I yanked out the personal SIM. The whole SIM setup is confusing. I think I will post on that in near future.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-12-2019, 10:50 PM

Garage
I think the manual just needs to have a table that shows what services use what SIM. That would be a massive help. It would also be nice if they listed what standards and frequency bands the Personal SIM can support, because I would really like to use Verizon instead of paying $20/mo to AT&T (though it looks like you can do 2GB for $10/mo on T-Mobile as a single “tablet” line).
post #35 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-13-2019, 07:55 AM

If they would have allowed it to be used for cellphone service, I'd have been a lot happier.
Nearly all cars/trucks I've bought since 2004 have had built-in telephone service.
fedorachef likes this.

Jaguar i-Pace FE Photon Red 20" wheels, "Leaper"
Two Chevrolet Volts in service
24.2 kW x 480v 3ph solar array self-installed.
post #36 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-26-2019, 08:26 PM
NSP

If the AT&T SIM is just to create hotspot for the kids, then yes, it makes much more sense to use an existing cell phone. I was also having difficulities in tryign to figure out is any SIMM would work, and it this SIM is necessary to operate many of the other car functions.

If I get a chance soon, I will remove the SIM, create a wi-fi hotspot on my phone and connect the ipace to this hotspot. I'll post my observations.
sciencegeek likes this.
post #37 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 10:39 PM
NSP

A little update:

Creating a hotspot with my cell phone isn't ideal as I would have to manually turn it on and off every time for the kids in the car to use. Leaving it on all the time drains the phone battery considerably, even when the hotspot is not used.

I removed the simm from the car; from my observations, it controls the traffic options in navigation, the cr web browser, the "LIve" features (weather, news, etc) and of courese, a hot-spot for the kids.

I looked throught the various phone plans and was able to get a tablet data-only share plan (share with my cell phone plan), which costs me $10 CAD ($7.50 US) per month and the provider included a extra 3GB free data per month. This costs consideralby less than the AT&T plan, offers more data, and I get to share the data with my cell phone. Everything works fine, so you do not have to choose AT&T to work with the Jag.

From what I read on other forums, cell providers don't like to offer these data plans; offically its only for use in a ipad or tablet.

Hope this helps.
post #38 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSP View Post
A little update:

I looked throught the various phone plans and was able to get a tablet data-only share plan (share with my cell phone plan), which costs me $10 CAD ($7.50 US) per month and the provider included a extra 3GB free data per month. This costs consideralby less than the AT&T plan, offers more data, and I get to share the data with my cell phone. Everything works fine, so you do not have to choose AT&T to work with the Jag.

From what I read on other forums, cell providers don't like to offer these data plans; offically its only for use in a ipad or tablet.

Hope this helps.

NSP what provider are you with. I am with Roers and they are telling me $10 a month and no extra data. Thanks

2019 Jaguar I-Pace First Edition Corris Grey 22" Wheels
post #39 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-31-2019, 08:05 AM
NSP

I'm with Bell. Did you take a tablet plan also?
post #40 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-31-2019, 04:39 PM

AT&T also has mobile hotspots like the old MiFi devices. Service costs me $20 a month on an old plan that was front-loaded with a $100/month fee for the account and then $20-$30 for tablets and phones respectively. You can take them anywhere and they can be subscribed to the same "unlimited" plans as your cellphone. Under the new plans, almost all devices are $40 a month and the WiFi HotSpot provides 50GB of data usage per month.

Last edited by NerdUno; 03-31-2019 at 04:44 PM.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page