Data Plans Value and Infotainment Problems - Page 3 - Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum
 9Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-29-2018, 12:31 AM
Senior Member
 
fedorachef's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Nor Cal
Posts: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by PGhiron View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by fedorachef View Post
I was told that only sim the car will accept is At&t as well. I even called Verizon to see if I could add it to my plan and they said their sim would not work for the I-Pace. I use the sim for the nav.
How do you "use the sim for the nav"?

They seem completely unrelated
Traffic updates. Won't update without service.
fedorachef is online now  
post #22 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-29-2018, 02:12 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Castro Valley, CA
Posts: 591
Our home is in a cellular black hole. We connected to wifi and can access the car through that. FWIW.
jsimon7777 is online now  
post #23 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-29-2018, 05:17 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsimon7777 View Post
Our home is in a cellular black hole. We connected to wifi and can access the car through that. FWIW.
Interesting detail, thanks. All the Jaguar Experts I spoke to said that it is not possible to access the car with InControl if there is only a WiFi connection and no cellular net available. To be sure, you connected the car only to your WiFi hotspot/home network, there is really no cellular net available and you can access it with your Smartphone InControl App?
That would be great news

I Pace EV400 S, fuji white, air susp, 18“/20“, scheduled delivery end 02/2019
d11111 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #24 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-29-2018, 08:25 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Castro Valley, CA
Posts: 591
Quote:
Originally Posted by d11111 View Post
Interesting detail, thanks. All the Jaguar Experts I spoke to said that it is not possible to access the car with InControl if there is only a WiFi connection and no cellular net available. To be sure, you connected the car only to your WiFi hotspot/home network, there is really no cellular net available and you can access it with your Smartphone InControl App?
That would be great news
Well, the garage is definitely a dead zone, as is the entire property. The app says the vehicle is currently asleep and cannot be connected to until restarted, which I can't do right now. I'm pretty sure it works.
jsimon7777 is online now  
post #25 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-30-2018, 08:35 AM
Senior Member
 
NerdUno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 110
FWIW: The car has to have some sort of Internet connection if you are going to access its data through the Internet. That could be an active cellular connection, or it could be an active WiFi connection to some external network. If your car has neither of those, then there must be a string and tin can somewhere in the mix that I'm not familiar with. :-)
fedorachef likes this.
NerdUno is offline  
post #26 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-30-2018, 12:26 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 758
Quote:
Originally Posted by NerdUno View Post
FWIW: The car has to have some sort of Internet connection if you are going to access its data through the Internet. That could be an active cellular connection, or it could be an active WiFi connection to some external network. If your car has neither of those, then there must be a string and tin can somewhere in the mix that I'm not familiar with. :-)
The car’s connection to the interweb for those things required for the functions of the car, such as the InControl App, is always there and unrelated to and independent of the paid ATT data plan controlled by the SIM in the center console.
PGhiron likes this.
Dantrium is online now  
post #27 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-30-2018, 05:14 PM
Senior Member
 
NerdUno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dantrium View Post
The car’s connection to the interweb for those things required for the functions of the car, such as the InControl App, is always there and unrelated to and independent of the paid ATT data plan controlled by the SIM in the center console.
Hope you're correct. What's the source of your information? And how is the connection being made??
NerdUno is offline  
post #28 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-31-2018, 09:48 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 758
Quote:
Originally Posted by NerdUno View Post
Hope you're correct. What's the source of your information? And how is the connection being made??

The I-Pace, as well as most cars these days, have 2 SIMS, one 'built-in', in JLR land it is referred to as the 'Telematics SIM' and one controlled by the user, the 'Personal SIM'. Your JLR retailer should be able to explain it to you, as it is not unique to the I-Pace and has been that way for several years.

Every new car I have purchased in at least the last 5 years has been the same. You do not need to pay ATT to use the basic functions of the car. For extended functions, such as using the car as a hotspot or to get live traffic updates, etc., you will need a 'commercial' internet connection, whether that is using the 'Personal SIM' in the car along with a purchased data plan or by connecting your car to the internet using your phone as a hotspot. Some manufacturers (BMW/Porsche) are starting to bundle extended functions into internal subscription programs (like OnStar has been for years) and I would expect that will be the way of the future as they realize it is another relatively easy revenue stream for them, rather than turfing off a data rate plan to a 3rd party vendor. I expect in the future the free functions will be reduced to basic emergency services and vehicle updates and no manufacturer will provide anything outside that for free.

Currently this is what paying ATT will do for you, nothing more:

From the ATT website:
"What are the benefits of subscribing to data service for my vehicle?
Access your vehicle's built-in hotspot
Connect up to 8 Wi-Fi compatible devices
Use your favorite apps, visit your favorite sites
Get a reliable connection with your vehicle's antenna
Use your vehicle's built-in hotspot instead of your smartphone to connect devices and use less of your smartphone's battery!

Plus, if you keep your vehicle hotspot set to 'on' it conveniently allows compatible devices to re-connect automatically and use the vehicle's hotspot data unless the vehicle is removed as a hotspot from the returning device's settings."

If you look at your Jaguar InControl account, you will see it is a 5 year subscription plan included with the car. I'm not sure what happens after 5 years...I've never kept a car more than 3.
NerdUno and WattAJag like this.

Last edited by Dantrium; 12-31-2018 at 09:51 AM.
Dantrium is online now  
post #29 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-25-2019, 12:51 PM
Senior Member
 
sciencegeek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Palo Alto
Posts: 885
Am I correct in assuming that this manual page refers to the personal SIM by AT&T? I would imagine JLR wouldn't put the 'system SIM' into an accessible location like that so that users can mess everything up?

Jaguar Owner Information

If so I'll just rip it out and see if I lose live traffic and other things as well. (Have any of you done that?)
sciencegeek is online now  
post #30 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-25-2019, 01:58 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 155
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sciencegeek View Post
Am I correct in assuming that this manual page refers to the personal SIM by AT&T? I would imagine JLR wouldn't put the 'system SIM' into an accessible location like that so that users can mess everything up?

Jaguar Owner Information

If so I'll just rip it out and see if I lose live traffic and other things as well. (Have any of you done that?)
Yea, that's the "personal AT&T SIM" that Jaguar includes as a free trial. I personally will never use it as I get all my online stuff thru Android Auto via my cell phone. The primary Jaguar SIM for the Remote access, traffic info, etc. is hidden somewhere and not accessible to us AFAIK.

HSE | Caesium Blue/Siena Tan | 20" Style 5068 wheels | Received 01/09/2019
ryzvy is online now  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome