EV Battery Replacement - Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-05-2017, 10:50 AM Thread Starter

EV Battery Replacement

We all know that these batteries will be degrading over time as they all do. We don't know what the rate of decrease will be as of yet, but when it comes time for replacement, do you think you'll still have your I-Pace?

Aside from that, does anyone know where the battery is located for the I-Pace? I'm pretty sure no one's really going to know the removal process as of yet, but hopefully if we get cutaways and all of that good stuff, we can get an idea. Not like any of us will do it ourselves but it'll be good to see what's needed.
post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-08-2017, 11:02 AM

We honestly have no idea how the battery will be mounted. Maybe it'll be similar to the Chevrolet Bolt where they insert the battery to the fully painted chassis from the bottom and bolt it on. It shouldn't be too hard of a process.

As for degradation, I think the a general number is around 40% in an 8 year period. But that doesn't always happen as it can be dependent on how many times you charge the battery and how much.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-09-2017, 10:38 AM Thread Starter

Considering this is all fresh to me, do you know of what proper charging etiquette generally is?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-09-2017, 11:15 AM

Some claim that charging up to 90% and not fully will reduce battery degradation, but EVs are still relatively new so I can't claim that this is fact. Also dependent on the battery supplier, cooling system, etc.

The largest pool of data we have is probably from Tesla and their Model S shows a loss of capacity of around 5% for the first 50,000 miles (100,000 km). After that the capacity loss levels off.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-13-2017, 11:07 PM Thread Starter

Isn't that why they have that hill top reserve thing??

That's not that bad of a loss at all though, and I probably won't keep it for anything much longer than that anyhow.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-14-2017, 12:02 AM

But the hilltop reserve is a chevy feature right now, would it not be copyright infringement if jaguar does it too? Though I think it should be a standard wit all EVs.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 12:31 PM Thread Starter

Now that's really interesting as I didn't know that. Thanks actually something really smart to have copyrighted because that's a feature that would be extremely helpful for all EVs that have regen capabilities. Helps to preserve the battery and save it from overcharging and what not.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-23-2017, 11:22 AM

By the time the battery needs to be replaced, battery costs should be lower than what it is today. I'm the kind of person to own a car and run it into the ground so I may need to replace the battery years down the road, hopefully without costing an arm and a leg.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-24-2017, 10:36 AM Thread Starter

Heard the Model S is currently in the ballpark of $25k or something, but a Tesla representative said $12k presumably after they're big factory gets built or something
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-24-2017, 06:21 PM

Although this is going to be a while out from now, it might help to look for tax credits we can use. With the rise of battery swaps coming it might be a topic discussed on a federal level. The last thing they need are things like this to discourage folk.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page