6Likes
  • 3 Post By McRat
  • 1 Post By epirali
  • 1 Post By McRat
  • 1 Post By McRat

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-03-2019, 07:01 AM Thread Starter

This is how to WOW customers....

I was super impressed by this story of how fast (2 days!) Tesla responded to a reported bug in its "Dog Mode" software (feature to keep cabin temperature safe for dogs in its cars, complete with a display to passersby). Great example of not only the type of feature that wins customers over, but the type of customer service responsiveness that will turn the industry on it head. Love him or hate him, Musk pulls off some amazing feats!

https://electrek.co/2019/08/02/tesla...-fix-dog-mode/

Last edited by dtgsrq; 08-03-2019 at 07:08 AM.
post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-03-2019, 10:03 AM

In all honesty, we are talking about a fairly simple coding feature was not quality tested prior to deployment in 2016, and is being fixed in mid 2019. Fred loves to spin. 2 days is now 3 years. Fred has no idea when the bug was first noticed by Tesla, only when "it went viral".
Tesla still hasn't come up with blended brake software yet after 11 years. And they have the highest vampire drain of any known car for the same duration.

Jaguar i-Pace FE Photon Red 20" wheels, "Leaper"
Two Chevrolet Volts in service
24.2 kW x 480v 3ph solar array self-installed.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-03-2019, 10:26 AM

When I read that my first thought was how perfectly Tesla that is. I don’t know if Elon Musk has dogs or wanted to help dog owners, but they threw together what would have been a useful feature. But never bothered to fully test it. And the result for any dog owner who relied on that and left their dog in a hot day could have been tragic.

But hey its ok right, because Tesla is so awesome and has a dog mode. Who cares if it actually works, it just has to sound kind of like a cool thing. Then we move. Fixing it after someone reported it is not what I call “good customer service” because I do not remember any bulletins being issued to owner, or a warning message.

But there is a great right up about how awesome it is that software development was directed by an edict from a top focusing on a bug that shouldn’t have been there.
Mister Dave likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-03-2019, 11:12 AM

I think Dog Mode is a great idea for years prior to 2015 when laws started to appear that make it illegal to leave dogs or kids in cars regardless of your brand of car. Some areas give citizens the right to break your windows. The Warning Screen sounds nice, except many if not most Tesla owners limo tint their windows, nor does that change the law.

I would like it so that when I know I will only be gone for a couple hours, the car could automatically stay cool inside. I would want it to be a simple button on the dash, not a nested tree structure touchscreen switch. Hidden switches are irritating.
epirali likes this.

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-03-2019, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McRat View Post
In all honesty, we are talking about a fairly simple coding feature was not quality tested prior to deployment in 2016, and is being fixed in mid 2019. Fred loves to spin. 2 days is now 3 years. Fred has no idea when the bug was first noticed by Tesla, only when "it went viral".
Tesla still hasn't come up with blended brake software yet after 11 years. And they have the highest vampire drain of any known car for the same duration.
1. Dog Mode was introduced on Feb. 19, 2019, not in 2016. I agree it is a dumb bug that should have been caught before release.
2. Tesla has chosen strong regen for one pedal driving over blended brake software.
3. Tesla has the only fleet that is in constant 2-way communication with the mother ship. Hence the larger vampire drain. Let's see what vampire drain looks like in the other EV's when they finally get OTA software updates for all control units in the car.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-03-2019, 09:38 PM

@dennis : vampire drain has nothing to do with comms to server. Even assuming constant data it would NOT register in a 90 KWHr battery. And even more the Roadster has bad vampire drain and had NO data links. In can brick itself from full in around 8 weeks.

The vampire drain is from unnecessary modules performing operations and incomplete gating of power circuits when idle. It’s acceptable in a kit car like the Roadster but not in model S/X/3. I have left my various electric vehicles for up to 8 weeks in temperature controlled environments, and all non Tesla cars have not even shown a 1% drop in capacity when restarted (Leaf, Bolt, i8, i3, I Pace). In fact I confidently leave other EVs at 50% SOC when I’m away.

The Roadster will drain down unless plugged in and in storage mode from 100% down to very low SOC IN 8 WEEKS. And after one firmware update the battery never was charged in storage mode although the charger was plugged in, not in fault and fully powered. I came back to a car with 7% capacity. Another week and I’d have a very nice 20k repair bill.

Another minor “bug.”
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-03-2019, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis View Post
1. Dog Mode was introduced on Feb. 19, 2019, not in 2016. I agree it is a dumb bug that should have been caught before release.
2. Tesla has chosen strong regen for one pedal driving over blended brake software.
3. Tesla has the only fleet that is in constant 2-way communication with the mother ship. Hence the larger vampire drain. Let's see what vampire drain looks like in the other EV's when they finally get OTA software updates for all control units in the car.
"Tesla has already made updates to its software to help with child or pet safety with its Cabin Overheat Protection feature released in 2016." - From the quoted article.
Many EVs and PHEVs have climate control while parked. All they lack is the cute name. Kind of like Falcon Wing, Supercharger, and Tesla (a scientist's name unrelated to Musk).

Tesla regen is nowhere near as strong as Jaguar regen is. Lift at 80 mph with Adaptive off to find out. You can come closer to 1 foot driving in an I-Pace (cutout <3 mph) than a Model S (cutout at about 7 mph). But lifting will only allow 1/2 the max regen for most of the curve. The other half is the blended brake pedal. So it does both better. Trivia, the Chevy Bolt/Volt have stronger regen than a Model S through most their curve, but neither is as stout as the I-Pace.

GM/OnStar started 2-way passive auto communication in ~1996? It went digital in 2006. Jaguars transmit data to cloud. I can find every trip I've been on from my desktop. Yet it has virtually zero vampire loss.
epirali likes this.

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-03-2019, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McRat View Post
GM/OnStar started 2-way passive auto communication in ~1996? It went digital in 2006. Jaguars transmit data to cloud. I can find every trip I've been on from my desktop. Yet it has virtually zero vampire loss.
My I-Pace is in the shop for an unexplained overnight battery drain of 1%-5% that occurs every 2nd or 3rd night. The hazard button stays illuminated and I suspect that the car is not fully shutting down. If I happen to see the hazard button is still illuminated I start the car and let it run for a minute and then shut it down and that solves the issue. I'm hoping the dealer can find the error codes and determine which module is the offending part.

On a side note, I was given a Discovery Sport SE loaner that's sitting on the driveway undrivable. I started it to pull into the garage and saw 6 or 7 warning lights indicating failures of power steering, stability control, AWD, parking brake etc. I disconnected the battery for 20 minutes but only power steering became functional. No more JLR products for me!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page