Corvette C8 - Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 09:56 AM Thread Starter

Corvette C8

This is a car forum. We're supposed to discuss the C8!

I think few of us care, though. ICE.

Photon FE, 2013 FR-S, 2017 RAM 1500, 2014 Forester
post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 10:37 AM
ELO

I think the C8 is going to be a winner for those that want a great competitor for the higher cost super cars but not able or willing to pay the high price. My C6 2006 was a boring car. Very happy with my 911 and hope to go electric in due time. Reservation holder on the Rivian R1T. Have driven a few Tesla's and the I-Pace. Retired and don't drive daily. Making a purchase at the high cost has to be done right for me. Don't want to make a costly mistake with early issues. Very educational to have assess to many issues in the mean time.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 11:41 AM

Nearly every iteration of the Corvette has it's detractors, but I have heard more flak over the mid-engine change than any other.
The number of changes is staggering.
No more traverse leaf, now coil-overs. Time will tell if this was wise. The traverse composite monoleaf were adjustable with a 10mm wrench in 10 minutes for the whole car at the track and probably lighter with lower CG. Corvettes have been gaining weight since the 2002 Z06 with it's 3100 curb weigh fuel of liquids. The 2019 currently starts at 3300lb and go up from there. The Z06 is 3550. Hopefully the C8 is not going to continue this trend.
No manual transmission offering. The transaxle is located south of the axle. The weight bias in now significantly tail-heavy.
The ECM will now be locked supposedly. No more track tuning.
12.9 cuft cargo is lowest in memory, but does have both rear and front cargo areas.

Cool features:
OTA for the first time in a Chevrolet.
Highest attention to the interior in history.
GPS based nose-lifting stores up to 1000 locations with a press of a button. You tell it to raise nose, and it will ask if you want to store it right then. Then if you approach driveway, speed bump, or rain culvert at 24mph or less, it will lift to nose to avoid scraping. This has plagued Corvettes most of their lives.
3 levels of track worthy seats. There is 6-7 modes for the Performance Traction Management, including a user defined Street and user defined Track stored mode.
490 HP out of the <$60k model comes from a naturally aspirated V8 pushrod 2V LSx style engine with dry sump. This is still the crown jewel of pragmatic engine design. Cheaper than some i4's, lighter than some V6's, gobs of torque and instant response. Who would have dreamed this was even possible for a California CARB/EPA car? It might not even get the guzzler tax. Our 2002 Z06 (405HP would get an honest 29 mpg at 70 mph).

Will it be a Porsche or Ferrari killer? Only on the track. People buy Porsches, Ferraris, and Lambos for the look and badging, hence why so many convertibles are sold. Few are going trade in their $103k stripped 911 for a $75k Corvette.

But the 0-60 mph claim of <3 seconds might be the lowest number for a 2wd car. I'm guessing the base + Z51 will run 11.2 @ 125 mph with a 188 mph top speed.
epirali and PGhiron like this.

Jaguar i-Pace FE Photon Red 20" wheels, "Leaper"
Two Chevrolet Volts in service
24.2 kW x 480v 3ph solar array self-installed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 09:15 PM

Less expensive than an I-Pace. Maybe I'll buy one, but it won't be a 2020.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 09:23 PM Thread Starter

~3360 lbs. That's not much for a car with a big V8. With the intake in the valley, we're likely to see a supercharger, not turbos, which is a shame. And it will still be slower 50-70 than the ipace.

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-21-2019, 11:08 AM

I've never understood why some people buy useless cars, however cool they may be ... (no matter whether it's a Vette or a Porsche)
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-21-2019, 11:31 AM

What makes the car useless?

If it brings a smile to your face when you see it, it is not useless to me!
sciencegeek likes this.

Jeff in Denver
'19 Jaguar I-Pace First Edition
'03 Porsche 911 Turbo 6MT X50
'74 Alfa Romeo Spider
'17 Volvo XC90 Inscription - Wife's
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-21-2019, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsimon7777 View Post
~3360 lbs. That's not much for a car with a big V8. With the intake in the valley, we're likely to see a supercharger, not turbos, which is a shame. And it will still be slower 50-70 than the ipace.
The steel frame front V8, rear T-56/Getrag trasaxle Z06 with a full sized 12v battery weighed 3080 lb at the track scales (1/4 tank, mats and loose items removed, no water in wipers). The aluminum frame, more composite intensive V8, with tiny battery, has been gaining weight.

They use superchargers to reduce lag. GM has been selling turbo cars since 1962 and their newest design, the Blackwing DOHC V8 is twin-turbo as is their ATS-V, CTS-Vsport, & CT6. Even their base i-4 275hp engine for the Camaro is turbo. But with the LT2's 490 hp at year one with 6.2 liters, you might actually see the next power bump by using the 7.0 rotating assy, which could reach as high as 580 hp with no additional weight or packaging except bigger coolers. One of the wonderful things about the LSx engine is it's abundance of instant torque and it's light weight. No other gas engine has the instant low rpm grunt of the LS engines. Putting turbos on or supercharging will increase the weight, size, and lag.

BTW - Many thought the Blackwing DOHC turbo V8 was destined for the C8, but weight, cost, size, and responsiveness probably keep it out of the running for now. Another thought was a variant of the 3.0 liter turbo V6. They made the right choice by sticking with a naturally aspired high torque design for this kind of application.

The EV drive in the I-Pace is superior in power delivery, but not in shear hp quantity. From our experience with the supercharged 556? hp CTS-V and 638 hp ZR1, the surplus ICE power is only useful on a track and tends to draw too much attention for public use. The I-Pace is far more responsive on public roads than any gas engine I've experienced and has no drama associated with it. And the format of a 2 seat sportscar or even a 2+2 coupe is pretty irritating for daily use. You have crap visibility, low passenger/cargo ability, might as well ride a motorcycle.

However, if you look at the frame design of the C8, you will notice it's triangulated up front and has a mount for a differential or EV drive. I would not be surprised to see an AWD KERS PHEV variant.
NerdUno likes this.

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-21-2019, 11:53 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by McRat View Post
The steel frame front V8, rear T-56/Getrag trasaxle Z06 with a full sized 12v battery weighed 3080 lb at the track scales (1/4 tank, mats and loose items removed, no water in wipers). The aluminum frame, more composite intensive V8, with tiny battery, has been gaining weight.

They use superchargers to reduce lag. GM has been selling turbo cars since 1962 and their newest design, the Blackwing DOHC V8 is twin-turbo as is their ATS-V, CTS-Vsport, & CT6. Even their base i-4 275hp engine for the Camaro is turbo. But with the LT2's 490 hp at year one with 6.2 liters, you might actually see the next power bump by using the 7.0 rotating assy, which could reach as high as 580 hp with no additional weight or packaging except bigger coolers. One of the wonderful things about the LSx engine is it's abundance of instant torque and it's light weight. No other gas engine has the instant low rpm grunt of the LS engines. Putting turbos on or supercharging will increase the weight, size, and lag.
The
BTW - Many thought the Blackwing DOHC turbo V8 was destined for the C8, but weight, cost, size, and responsiveness probably keep it out of the running for now. Another thought was a variant of the 3.0 liter turbo V6. They made the right choice by sticking with a naturally aspired high torque design for this kind of application.

The EV drive in the I-Pace is superior in power delivery, but not in shear hp quantity. From our experience with the supercharged 556? hp CTS-V and 638 hp ZR1, the surplus ICE power is only useful on a track and tends to draw too much attention for public use. The I-Pace is far more responsive on public roads than any gas engine I've experienced and has no drama associated with it. And the format of a 2 seat sportscar or even a 2+2 coupe is pretty irritating for daily use. You have crap visibility, low passenger/cargo ability, might as well ride a motorcycle.

However, if you look at the frame design of the C8, you will notice it's triangulated up front and has a mount for a differential or EV drive. I would not be surprised to see an AWD KERS PHEV variant.
Which gen of Z06? Crash regulations keep getting tighter, so it's hard not to make weight go up. Without crash regulations, these cars could be much, much lighter. Also people expect better build quality nowadays, except for Tesla buyers.

I didn't notice the triangulation up there, but I'd expect them to go AWD for some future version. Stupid not to. Even without AWD, it makes for better stiffness and handling.
NerdUno likes this.

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-21-2019, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sciencegeek View Post
I've never understood why some people buy useless cars, however cool they may be ... (no matter whether it's a Vette or a Porsche)
Usefulness starts at the 15 passenger high roof LWB variants of the Ford Transit-350 with 10,360lb GVWR or the MB/Dodge versions. This will haul refrigerators standing straight up, 4 motorcycles, a kayak inside, or an entire sports team, or combinations thereof.

Everything goes down from there.

In fact, my first 'family' car was an E-350 EXT van for work/play. Motorcycles can even go inside.

Everything is relative.
PGhiron likes this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page