Taycan Turbo Detailed Review - Page 2 - Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum
 14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 01:42 AM

I wonder if the air suspension can lift it enough to stop regular underbody destruction. The height in the images is close to dragging on the pavement. Only four seats? I need 5 on a regular basis. I'm disappointed. Honestly I'd rather get a P3D or, better yet, a PYD 7-seater. Or another ipace.
post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis View Post
Stock Model S Ludicrous+ 1/4 mile time is 10.64/125 mph.

In ideal conditions. Certainly not hot lapping 4 times. But [email protected] is puzzling. A much heavier AWD vehicle ran [email protected] with wifey driving. While the ET is virtually identical, and it was a mid 1.5 sixty, 5 mph on the big end is HUGE. It's not aero, the 130 passes are from a 4x4 2500HD diesel pickup with aero of a brick with a track weight of 6420 lb (HRP's scale) without driver with 1/4 tank. It even has less HP (748 HP measured at the rear tires, Tesla claims 762 HP and is lighter).
The P cars apparently give it up after the 1/8th. Porsche seems to have solved that problem.

And why I'm referring to it as a possible Tesla Killer. There have been a lot of cheaper cars that will out trap a Tesla, but until now, only Demon has been quicker and cheaper. The Porsche appears that it will be competitively priced after the full IRS rebate without VAT. And if a P car tries to fight one from a roll, it's going to be Dresden's Revenge.

Jaguar i-Pace FE Photon Red 20" wheels, "Leaper"
Two Chevrolet Volts in service
24.2 kW x 480v 3ph solar array self-installed.

Last edited by McRat; 05-14-2019 at 09:14 AM.
post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 09:26 AM

However... Note that "Porsche pricing" is like buying a new house:

"Would you like wooden doors? It comes with cardboard."

"Do you want a backyard or a construction debris field?"

"Did you ever want to own the house on a rainy day? You might want the full driveway and rain gutters."
jsimon7777 likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 10:17 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by McRat View Post
In ideal conditions. Certainly not hot lapping 4 times. But [email protected] is puzzling. A much heavier AWD vehicle ran [email protected] with wifey driving. While the ET is virtually identical, and it was a mid 1.5 sixty, 5 mph on the big end is HUGE. It's not aero, the 130 passes are from a 4x4 2500HD diesel pickup with aero of a brick with a track weight of 6420 lb (HRP's scale) without driver with 1/4 tank. It even has less HP (748 HP measured at the rear tires, Tesla claims 762 HP and is lighter).
The P cars apparently give it up after the 1/8th. Porsche seems to have solved that problem.
With a two speed transmission.
jsimon7777 likes this.
post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis View Post
With a two speed transmission.
The first Tesla had a two speed. Elon said it was an engineering impossibility to make one that would endure EV torque. Little did he know, we were building >1250 ftlb six speed gearboxes before the first Tesla was prototyped. Durability? Mine has over 100,000 miles including several hundred dragstrip passes at several tracks, and weighs 7,850lb.

post #16 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 01:02 PM

Quote:
The first Tesla had a two speed. Elon said it was an engineering impossibility to make one that would endure EV torque. Little did he know, we were building >1250 ftlb six speed gearboxes before the first Tesla was prototyped. Durability? Mine has over 100,000 miles including several hundred dragstrip passes at several tracks, and weighs 7,850lb.
It was an impossibility for *Tesla* to build a two speed transmission that could handle the torque. Also, I'd imagine the strains of a two speed EV transmission are different from those of a six speed manual or automatic. No torque converter or clutch to damp the onset of torque. A greatly extended RPM range for the torque to be applied in each gear, 12000 for ipace and 18000 for at least the Model S and X. VAG has a lot more mechanical engineering prowess.

It's gonna be fun to option up the Taycan. It probably comes standard with a mono stereo.
post #17 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsimon7777 View Post
It was an impossibility for *Tesla* to build a two speed transmission that could handle the torque. Also, I'd imagine the strains of a two speed EV transmission are different from those of a six speed manual or automatic. No torque converter or clutch to damp the onset of torque. A greatly extended RPM range for the torque to be applied in each gear, 12000 for ipace and 18000 for at least the Model S and X. VAG has a lot more mechanical engineering prowess.

It's gonna be fun to option up the Taycan. It probably comes standard with a mono stereo.
I was thinking a Radio Shack Crystal Radio Kit in the glovebox. The cellphone integration is a string and two soup cans.

post #18 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 03:59 PM

Quote:
I was thinking a Radio Shack Crystal Radio Kit in the glovebox. The cellphone integration is a string and two soup cans.
The stock seats are board on cinder blocks. The door latches are velcro.
McRat likes this.
post #19 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsimon7777 View Post
The stock seats are board on cinder blocks. The door latches are velcro.
The original Dodge Viper wasn't that far off. No real side windows, they snapped. Not sure if had door handles. No ABS, no SC, interior was modeled after the Kenner Easy Bake Oven.

post #20 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 01:11 PM

This is what I would call a very entertaining thread ... LOL

I-Pace FE, Corris Gray, 20" rims

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page