This blows my mind - Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By PGhiron

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-06-2019, 10:17 PM Thread Starter

This blows my mind

I had not been aware that there's an electric plane engine. An hour of flight time. Amazing
https://cleantechnica.com/2019/04/06...ric-seaplanes/
post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 04:22 PM

@sciencegeek except not yet. Hopefully. The article was very misleading. From the aviation forums I am part of:

The stopgap solution will be hybrid power. Airbus and a Boeing backed company called Zunum Aero are currently working on hybrid aircraft engines. But an all-electric aircraft with niche commercial applications could be on tarmacs well ahead of 2030, the timeline many cite for the dawn of practical electric aviation.

On the heels of its successful tests, magniX estimates its technology will make commercial flights up to 1,000 miles possible by 2024. All-electric flights of up to 500 miles could be online as early as 2022. Those figures apply to smaller aircraft that can accommodate a few passengers.

So yes it is coming, just not proved yet, AND the FAA is yet to weigh in on all the potential issues, eg in-flight fire, cold weather ops, engine stoppages. There are still a host of regulative issues to overcome. But I for one am highly excited as well. I am really looking forward to the day I can pilot an electric airplane.
sciencegeek likes this.

Jaguar I-Pace First Edition Photon Red
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 08:46 PM

I just ran across this article on the subject.

Excerpt:

Quote:
Norway was optimistic enough to announce last year that the country wants all domestic flights to be electric by 2040. That’s why a recent announcement by a small airline in the Pacific Northwest was so significant. Harbour Air, based in Vancouver, announced in March that it is aiming to operate an all-electric fleet.

Harbour Air currently operates 42 seaplanes, or float planes, across 12 routes. The company is now retrofitting some of its existing aircraft with a battery-electric propulsion system from magniX, an electric drivetrain manufacturer. Test flights of these retrofitted planes are scheduled for later this year, and the company expects the first commercial electric flights to take off in 2022....

In fact, there are already production electric aircraft like Pipistrel’s Alpha Electro, a two-seat trainer. Harbour Air is currently installing an electric drivetrain as a replacement for a conventional piston motor in a six-passenger de Havilland Canada DHC-2 Beaver. Part of the reason the company thinks it can pull off electrification is that all of its flights are less than 30 minutes, so current battery technology isn’t a major limiting factor. And according to magniX, the company supplying the propulsion, it saves the company a huge amount of money. A conventional motor costs between $300 and $450 per operating hour. The electric drivetrain from magniX cost $12.

Some designs are shown, and there's an imbedded video there. Well worth checking out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 01:06 AM Thread Starter

Great article! Both videos are amazing. I can't believe that weird blob can fly!!
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 10:11 AM

Fullycharged did a great video on Electroflight and their new fully electric racing planes that are currently in development. Pretty impressive how quickly this technology is advancing and I would guess this is the first of many new markets we will see it in.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page