Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum - View Single Post - Recording from the front camera
View Single Post
post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 11:22 AM
Sbingham60

Quote:
Originally Posted by offroadjag View Post
Has anyone here tried to record from the front facing camera? I like the idea of a dash cam that records video, but I don't really want to clutter the dash. Is there a way to also use an existing from facing camera as a dash cam and record video?

Alternatively, Owlcam looks pretty clean and may not clutter the dash too much. Has anyone tried to install an Owlcam?

Apologies in advance if this has been discussed before.
Most factory installed car cameras do not have an output that you could route to a recording device. In addition, the cameras used for navigation are not necessarily HD or may not provide a wide enough view. So output options aside, you have fidelity issues to consider. I don't think Jaguar cameras have any output option. There is no documentation to validate, so you would have to do a bit of a tear down to check. I really don't recall any manufacturer providing output.

I am not 100% sure, but I also think the front and rear cameras turn off at some point as they are normally triggered by reverse or be clicking on the camera view options for parking assist. It seemed to me that my front camera shuts off once I got over 20 MPH, but then I didn't try to activate it outside of parking. That would be another consideration.

2019 I-Pace EV400 SE
Firenze Red - Ebony/Ebony
Driver Assist Pack
Black Exterior Pack
20" 5 Spoke Style 5068 Gloss Black Wheels
plus a few extras

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome