Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

First ‘real’ problem: AC blows warm air

32K views 80 replies 40 participants last post by  Jeffrey Steinhorn 
#1 ·
After 5 months and 7600 miles it was warm enough to need AC and I discovered it doesn’t work...bummer

I believe at least one of the SoCal owners on here also had that problem. Anyone else?

#2 ·
I will run without AC on when ambient temperature is cool enough to just pull in the cool outside air, 60s is about the max. When I have switched to AC which was recent, I noticed the car blows warm air for a lengthy amount of time before blowing cool. I hit Max AC to speed it up after being impatient a few times and then back it off to regular AC mode. I assume you waited long enough to wait it out and it is really out in your Jag.

#5 ·
It was in default mode, so Comfort. I didn’t try it in Eco.

By default it is also left with Smart Climate. But I tried everything to get it to blow cold air, so I tried everything with the climate control, including using Max AC with no improvement.

As my 10 year-old said “Dad, they better fix this or this summer is going to suck”

#6 ·
Yup. After all this cold, I finally tried to use the A/C last week and it doesn’t work. It is booked in on Thursday to take a look. I don’t recall ever trying it in the past, so I don’t know if it has ever worked or not.

Bummed as well.

Timbo:crying:

#7 ·
Could be related to H193NAS2, which is an outstanding campaign for my car (though the AC does work on my car). Says it is to fix potential won't start issue, reverse lights flashing, air quality system not working, climate control not working, and noisy climate control fans. Potentially affects VINs 60001-72491.

#9 ·
Anyone else notice that when A/C is enabled it actually sucks more juice than the heater did? When I click on my A/C my range drops 30 miles immediately...

#13 ·
I've seen such a drop (25-30mi of range), but only when MAX AC used or I dialed up 4 or 5 with "LO" temp, which is usually only to cool the car upon entry after it sat in the midday Florida sun. Once things cool off and I "dial down" (literally) to a 2 with "76" as the temp, the differential (between off and on) is only 5-10 mi.
No AC problems, though, like reported above. JLR wouldn't dare deliver a car with broken AC in Florida, any month of the year. Lives would be at stake!

This post has been deleted
#18 ·
My car is a new to me 2019 and there is no issue to date with the climate control cooling. My VIN is later than what is listed above. I did notice today that the range dropped by exactly 10 miles when I turn on AC (not max, 80% charge) in comfort mode and jumps up 10 if I turn it off. My car only has 800 miles so perhaps this info is preliminary as the car learns about me. With mostly highway driving today mixed with some city, the range for the 100 mile trip used about 108 in actuality so with some aggressive driving and AC on, not too inaccurate.

#22 ·
I picked up my car today from the dealership and the a/c is fixed. The dealership evacuated the existing refrigerant, performed a pressure test which it passed, refilled the system and stated it is now operating as designed. I have a 50 minute drive home and i had a/c all the way home! I would have preferred that they found a problem that was then fixed but at least its working.

#26 ·
Hello everyone, i'm facing the same issue with my Jaguar i-Pace SE First Edition 2018, but here's a very important detail:
Air conditioner on i-Pace will not work if the car itself is overheated, no matter how long you wait - if i start my i-Pace after a few hours of sun exposure, air-con will work just as a fan, without any cool air, even after two hours of non-stop drive.

of course i went to the officials with this, they checked everything, refilled the air-con's freon, upgraded firmware - but that didn't help. The only workaround is to use Pre-Condition feature, but that might take up to 30 minutes, not always applicable and doesn't really solve the problem that is obviously there!!!

i hope this will give a clue to someone. if the car is overheated - air-con won't work.

please share your ideas, contact me via PM if you need more details on my case.

#31 ·
Hello everyone, i'm facing the same issue with my Jaguar i-Pace SE First Edition 2018, but here's a very important detail:
Air conditioner on i-Pace will not work if the car itself is overheated, no matter how long you wait - if i start my i-Pace after a few hours of sun exposure, air-con will work just as a fan, without any cool air, even after two hours of non-stop drive.

of course i went to the officials with this, they checked everything, refilled the air-con's freon, upgraded firmware - but that didn't help. The only workaround is to use Pre-Condition feature, but that might take up to 30 minutes, not always applicable and doesn't really solve the problem that is obviously there!!!

i hope this will give a clue to someone. if the car is overheated - air-con won't work.

please share your ideas, contact me via PM if you need more details on my case.
I have this problem as well but I only encounter it when I drive for a long distance and then stop to recharge at a super charging station in the sun. So I agree it is overheating related. However, I park outdoors in the hot sun for work and have never had the hot air AC problem before. The only time I have this is when I super charge after a long drive. If you have any more information, please let me know.

#28 · (Edited)
That's weird because preconditioning uses the AC, so it works when you precondition but it doesn't when you press the AC button in the car?
no idea how, but it is what it is. maybe while in PreCon it cools down something related to AirCon.

What happens if you drive around with the windows open to cool the cabin?
that probably wouldn't work as right now it's about 104 fahrenheit outside, but just for the sake of it i will try, who knows what will happen.

UPD: checked. nothing changed.

#33 ·
I tried my air conditioning today and have a similar problem.
Seems to work at first, but then just blows warm humid air through the vents.
I tend to go to opening the windows when all else fails.
Need to try the seat cooling next, maybe I have the wrong control settings, or just don't know what I am doing.
Turning on the A/C shouldn't be this complicated. Or is there a problem that requires service? Guess I need a sure
fire step by step test.

#36 ·
Mine has just been in to the dealers last week and was told it needed to be regassed which I said the car is only a year and half old surely it has not lost that much refigerant that it no longer works (think they state 3% loss per yer). I was told the machine held a vacuum so there are no leaks so my question was where did it go if there are no leaks? to which they replied it needed gas at a cost of £200.

I personally think there must have been a leak which they fixed but still got the customer to pay instead of admitting there was a problem. Hey ho guess that is me just being cynical about dealer practices.

#37 ·
Hello! I’m having the same issue exactly. In the middle of a road trip in California. 6 hours today in 110-115 degrees with no SC. I kid you not.
Please tell me a fix was found. The dealer thought he fixed it by changing a couple of valves and refilling the Freon. Clearly not fixed (back on after maybe 2 weeks). 2 thread and no real positive outcome. please advise any one of you with this issue

#38 ·
Hello! I’m having the same issue exactly. In the middle of a road trip in California. 6 hours today in 110-115 degrees with no SC. I kid you not.
Please tell me a fix was found. The dealer thought he fixed it by changing a couple of valves and refilling the Freon. Clearly not fixed (back on after maybe 2 weeks). 2 thread and no real positive outcome. please advise any one of you with this issue
See AC slow leak of refrigerant - one potential cause and fix

#39 ·
I had one random day where the AC was blowing hot humid air for the whole day earlier this summer, it then went back to normal.

However, twice this month so far. Both times while it was plugged in, I pre-conditioned the car to drive. It blew warm humid air again for the whole duration of the drive (100+ degree weather). I parked and took care of my tasks, and both times, it blew cold again after being turned off.

This is probably my biggest gripe of this car, and being brand new too. In 100-110 degree weather, I am soaked by the time I get to my destination. I'll have to bring this up to the dealer and see what's going on.

#40 ·
I had one random day where the AC was blowing hot humid air for the whole day earlier this summer, it then went back to normal.

However, twice this month so far. Both times while it was plugged in, I pre-conditioned the car to drive. It blew warm humid air again for the whole duration of the drive (100+ degree weather). I parked and took care of my tasks, and both times, it blew cold again after being turned off.

This is probably my biggest gripe of this car, and being brand new too. In 100-110 degree weather, I am soaked by the time I get to my destination. I'll have to bring this up to the dealer and see what's going on.
When it does this, have you tried to immediately pull over, turn off the car, lock the doors and then restart it?

#42 ·
For me, the car needs to have been running a while (no AC going by that point) before I stop and the stop needs to be at least 10-15 minutes (it varies) before I start again with 5 minutes of cold air. Over the last few days (we’ve been driving from San Diego to the Bay Area on Route 1 then Tahoe) it’s gotten worse and worse, so much so that it’s only in the morning or after a very long break (1-2 hours) that the car starts with cold air again. I think ambient temperature seems to matter. Its been a horrible 100-110 temperature for most of the cross state drive. Worst possible timing....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.