Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

Ford Mustang Mach E

7K views 19 replies 15 participants last post by  Snowflake 
#1 ·
Looks like a 2-door I-Pace on the outside and a Tesla 3 on the inside. I'm sure it will find buyers but I'm happy with my FE

#3 ·
Be careful of spec comparisons. I've seen claims that the Premium has 300 miles of range and 0-60 in the mid 5 second at a price of $50,600. That's picking the best specs from three variants.

The reality is the $50K version has a range of 230 miles and 0-60 in the low 6's. To get mid 5's 0-60 you have to add AWD and the bigger battery (ER). The 300 mile variant is ER/RWD, but the 0-60 climbs to the mid 6's. And of course AWD and ER cost thousands more $$.

#7 ·
Meh...
It was just plain wrong to use the Mustang badging on it. First problem? Mustangs are "affordable" (Starts at $27k) cars except the supercar variants. Yeah, I went there! A 2020 Mustang GT350/GT350R/GT500 are supercars. They have both the power and handling required to be in the class, they just don't have the price. It's one of the most potent 2+2s sold. Not sure how they compare to the lethal Camaro ZL1 1LE on a track, but I bet the 350R could at least hang with it on very tight tracks.

I'm not a Mustang fan, but competitors have running them against me for decades. The newer models are very fast in the right hands. But in there lies the irony of the modern Horsepower Wars. Driver skill is on the decline, racetracks are closing right and left, and NOW we get some serious firepower at affordable pricing.
To put it in perspective, with skilled drivers, nothing mass-produced by Ferrari will keep up with a Camaro or Mustang on a track.

#8 ·
Crazy, NPR just had a piece on All Things Considered about this car. It's interesting to hear interviews with various stakeholders and enthusiasts ... it's all about nostalgia, and therefore about compromise in design. Too bad. Also, they're hyping a 300 miles range. Yeah right. Nonetheless, I'm happy about another entry into the crossover market.

#17 ·
Perhaps this will be the lower end version that JLR would not build. That said, I've been a "Ford driver" for over two decades and found their quality to be good to excellent for the price. I switched to JLR for the quality and drive of the I-pace. My FE is in the luxury class and I don't see the Mach E competing with that. However, so long as the "tech" is good this should compete with the Model 3 and the electric Volvos.

#16 ·
If it's a re-packaged I-pace at least they improved the packaging; it looks like the Mach-E has more cargo and passenger room in basically the same exterior dimensions and wheelbase.

I agree that more choice is always good, especially since it seems like manufacturers are still struggling to find the right product/market fit for EVs. By combining elements of other EVs (e.g. Model 3's giant screen, I-pace's form factor) the Mach-E is almost like a test lab to see which design and functional elements really drive demand.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.