Bjorn Nyland's Audi e-tron review - Page 6 - Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum
 44Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #51 of 56 (permalink) Old 02-01-2019, 08:04 PM

The multiple surface / environment driving in Portugal for the I-Pace was also spot-on for me; demonstrating that the car can go anywhere and do anything. I'm sure the etron will be a fine, even serene, everyday cruiser; but for someone who loves driving, the fact that I bet we never see the etron on a track (i.e., why would you?) and that time-limited boost feature fall short of the dynamics and durability demonstrated with the I-Pace. Just the idea of having to look down to know whether the boost feature is available would be an irritant. In this price range the performance should always be there.
post #52 of 56 (permalink) Old 02-02-2019, 08:20 AM

Yes, the instant full power of an EV is the best feature. Making an EV deliberately nerfing that feature is silly.

Jaguar i-Pace FE Photon Red 20" wheels, "Leaper"
Two Chevrolet Volts in service
24.2 kW x 480v 3ph solar array self-installed.
post #53 of 56 (permalink) Old 02-02-2019, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phila View Post
Good article....and reading through it I am now wondering if I should simply proceed with just my EVSE as well especially during the winter months when we dont drive so much...but my EVSE is at 220V
The only worry I / my wife constantly have is frying the outlets though so just leaving it plugged in unattended is a no go.
If you are that worried... have an electrician inspect the circuit to verify connections are clean and tight. And have electrician check what else is powered by that circuit.

Otherwise I would plug in and forget about trouble.
McRat and phila like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #54 of 56 (permalink) Old 02-02-2019, 02:43 PM

Yes, if you obey the 80% rule (your circuit should be rated at 25% more than the load), you are very safe. If there is any question, grab a cheap (<$20) IR Thermometer, run the charger for an hour and check the temps everywhere.

Your house is probably 15 amp breakers for wall outlets. JLR's EVSE is 10 amps. You would still be very safe at 12 amps. Building codes have some overkill built into them. A 15 amp circuit will take almost double that in ideal conditions. They must allow for MFR variations in components, very hot weather, multiple hot wires in a conduit, etc.

But on old outlets, especially GFI, I like to replace them high quality brand new outlets (cheap and a do it yourself project, or cheap for an electrician) for EV use since very few plug in devices run for more than 1 hour constantly, and as a wall outlet get older, the blades inside lose their tension and build up tarnish and carbon.

I'm paranoid, which is why I like to do my own wiring.
phila likes this.

Jaguar i-Pace FE Photon Red 20" wheels, "Leaper"
Two Chevrolet Volts in service
24.2 kW x 480v 3ph solar array self-installed.
post #55 of 56 (permalink) Old 02-02-2019, 03:45 PM

I'm incompetent. That's why I prefer paying others to wire for me.
sciencegeek and phila like this.
post #56 of 56 (permalink) Old 02-02-2019, 03:53 PM

Next time an electrician is here they will check up on things. But that will likely be to install my on-order home charger and then all will be good anyway and the EVSE will only come out while charging at other places.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page