Bjorn Nyland's Audi e-tron review - Page 3 - Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum
 44Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 56 (permalink) Old 01-30-2019, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sciencegeek View Post
I too am a big Audi fan but the looks of this one are just horrible. What's with the bulky snout? There is no reason whatsoever to design it that way!
Just like you, I replaced an Audi A3 e-tron with an I-Pace. I was really hoping that Audi would have released the e-tron quattro by the time my lease was over and was actually planning on getting it. However, 2018 came, and Jaguar introduced availability of the I-Pace. The I-Pace wasn't even on my radar until last year. As soon as I saw it, I knew this was going to be my first BEV.

I have had Audi cars for the last 18 years with the A3, TT and A3 e-tron. Its not the first Jaguar in our household. We had a 2004 S-Type that finally died and had to donate this month. I'm hoping for a better experience with this Jag.

What Audi does right at the outset with their electrified cars is that they provide owners with the right EVSE to begin with. They don't skimp like JLR did. And now I hear that e-tron quattro owners will also get some sort of free charging with Electrify America. What do we get as I-Pace owners? This pathetic sorry 110v EVSE unit with no charging partnerships/discounts with any charging company whatsoever.
post #22 of 56 (permalink) Old 01-30-2019, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruintoo View Post
What Audi does right at the outset with their electrified cars is that they provide owners with the right EVSE to begin with. They don't skimp like JLR did. And now I hear that e-tron quattro owners will also get some sort of free charging with Electrify America. What do we get as I-Pace owners? This pathetic sorry 110v EVSE unit with no charging partnerships/discounts with any charging company whatsoever.
I guess JLR figures if you can afford to purchase a $70k-$95k EV, then you can afford the $15 cost of a 45min charging session at a fast charger and/or buy your own Level 2 charger for your home. Plus, JLR is majorly under water and in restructure/cost savings mode, so no freebies from them. But, I understand what you're saying.

2019 Jaguar I-Pace EV400 HSE
Indus Silver w/ Black Pack Ext & Front Fog Lights
Mars Red Windsor Leather Performance Seats w/ Carbon Fiber Trim,
Ebony Suede Headlining & Illuminated Jaguar Treadplates
22" Style 5069 Wheels
Adaptive Dynamics
post #23 of 56 (permalink) Old 01-30-2019, 03:03 PM

At roughly the same price, I get a car that is 750lb lighter, 10" shorter, 1 second or more quicker to 60mph (nothing to sneeze at), yet has a bit more cargo room and is easier on the eyes.
Siri will get the job done for Voice commands for now.
I consider the I-Pace to be my 'Sport Sedan'. It feels like one and has nice sized back seats and a large trunk. It was the I-Pace or the Model S for me. My needs are better served with the Jaguar.
sflgator likes this.

Jaguar i-Pace FE Photon Red 20" wheels, "Leaper"
Two Chevrolet Volts in service
24.2 kW x 480v 3ph solar array self-installed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 56 (permalink) Old 01-30-2019, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McRat View Post
At roughly the same price, I get a car that is 750lb lighter, 10" shorter, 1 second or more quicker to 60mph (nothing to sneeze at), yet has a bit more cargo room and is easier on the eyes.
Siri will get the job done for Voice commands for now.
I consider the I-Pace to be my 'Sport Sedan'. It feels like one and has nice sized back seats and a large trunk. It was the I-Pace or the Model S for me. My needs are better served with the Jaguar.

Yep, same here. And I never expected the I-Pace to be the sole $71k - $85k luxury EV currently on the market (I am purchasing the 3rd least expensive example in the U.S. (Mr. Cheap-o)). I also agree that JLR could be doing better for its early supporters, and hope they do. On the topic of design and dimensions, I am going to try to upload one of my favorite photos. Cheers.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	jagandoldmerc.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	328.1 KB
ID:	1217  
McRat likes this.
post #25 of 56 (permalink) Old 01-30-2019, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruintoo View Post

Dont think the EVSE makes a big deal, european models get the 220V one and then you can charge at 2% per hour instead of 1%...not even worth mentioning that. Jaguar recommends that all owners get ChargePoint home charger as visible on jaguarusa.com. And likely all dealers that are selling EVs will recommend that to their customers as well also due to safety concerns with going straight into the outlet. Free / discounted public charging would be nice, but if Audi does this that would mean they would basically have to offer something like this worldwide and I have not heard this anywhere yet until now and the eTron is pretty soon going to be on the roads here. But interesting that you mention this, will see if i pick it up elsewhere also.
post #26 of 56 (permalink) Old 01-30-2019, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phila View Post
Dont think the EVSE makes a big deal, european models get the 220V one and then you can charge at 2% per hour instead of 1%...not even worth mentioning that. Jaguar recommends that all owners get ChargePoint home charger as visible on jaguarusa.com. And likely all dealers that are selling EVs will recommend that to their customers as well also due to safety concerns with going straight into the outlet. Free / discounted public charging would be nice, but if Audi does this that would mean they would basically have to offer something like this worldwide and I have not heard this anywhere yet until now and the eTron is pretty soon going to be on the roads here. But interesting that you mention this, will see if i pick it up elsewhere also.
Directly from Audi's e-tron website:

"Audi e-tron owners will receive up to 1,000 kWh of charging at Electrify America sites that can be used over a 4-year period."
post #27 of 56 (permalink) Old 01-30-2019, 11:34 PM

Even if the Audi could get 3 miles per kWh, that would be 3000 miles in 4 years, 10hrs of freeway driving a year? At .20/minute for DCFC (EVgo rates) that's a $200 perk. Meh.
There are not a significant number of >50kW chargers yet. So charging speed is sort of moot point until they become the norm.

Jaguar i-Pace FE Photon Red 20" wheels, "Leaper"
Two Chevrolet Volts in service
24.2 kW x 480v 3ph solar array self-installed.
post #28 of 56 (permalink) Old 01-31-2019, 04:00 AM

Nice of Audi to offer this, have not seen anything of such in any of the European countries. However 1000kwh really isn't that much and will be used up quickly. Example; just in the month of January I have accumulated 265kwh of charging at public stations and I don't even drive that much.

The EVSE that Audi sends out in the US apparently comes with a NEMA 14-50 adapter which is nice, but then you still need the plug on the wall to get that so you might as well get a proper home charger instead unless you of course already have this available. Otherwise the EVSE will go into the normal outlet with 120V and then you are in the same boat as all other EVs.
post #29 of 56 (permalink) Old 01-31-2019, 04:47 AM

Another interesting note on the European website of the etron states that an optional charger will be available later in 2019 in order to charge at 22kW at a cost.

But I guess point of this discussion is that the native EVSE that Audi sends can handle 220V whereas the native one Jaguar sends can handle 110V. But again, charging at that speed really is slow anyway and both Jaguar and Audi recommend a proper home charging box to be installed.
post #30 of 56 (permalink) Old 01-31-2019, 11:41 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by phila View Post
Another interesting note on the European website of the etron states that an optional charger will be available later in 2019 in order to charge at 22kW at a cost.

But I guess point of this discussion is that the native EVSE that Audi sends can handle 220V whereas the native one Jaguar sends can handle 110V. But again, charging at that speed really is slow anyway and both Jaguar and Audi recommend a proper home charging box to be installed.
Not sure what you mean by a "proper home charging box" but the charger included with the e-tron is a "proper EVSE". It's a 9.6 kW charger (level 2, 240-volt/40 amp) that plugs into a NEMA 14-50 outlet just like my JuiceBox Pro 40.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	e-tron charge.JPG
Views:	57
Size:	107.1 KB
ID:	1223  

HSE | Caesium Blue/Siena Tan | 20" Style 5068 wheels | Received 01/09/2019

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page