ipace vs. Model 3 - Page 3 - Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum
 25Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-04-2018, 03:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabrToothSqrl View Post
I'd like to see a side by side of all the Tesla models and the ipace, for a size diagram.
Not sure this is good enough ... but maybe?

https://www.automobiledimension.com/car-comparison.php
post #22 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-07-2018, 02:17 PM

Model X has not only falcon wing doors issue but also front suspension clunking. People getting suspension components replaced often, especially when driving at anything but super low. One of the purposes of getting an SUV, at least for me, is the ride height. Even in urban and suburban situations, hopping up curbs is useful. Can't do that in ultra low all the time.

Buying and M3 is paying for the performance but not the car quality. It's decent looking inside but not luxurious. Fake leather? Meh. I'm not sure it's worth it. I definitely can see buying a 35k M3, but I'm wrestling with the idea of a $79k version as I'd probably order it. At that price range, the iPace is slower but so much nicer and with a nicer service experience.

I'll wait until all the hubbub has died down, when the iPace arrives for my wife, and when the M3 has been through some revising. Maybe it'll have ventilated seats too. Then I can decide what I want. I don't want to buy a car and feel the need to replace it in 2-3 years. I want an EV for the long term.
McRat and phila like this.
post #23 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-05-2018, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsimon7777 View Post
Model X has not only falcon wing doors issue but also front suspension clunking. People getting suspension components replaced often, especially when driving at anything but super low. One of the purposes of getting an SUV, at least for me, is the ride height. Even in urban and suburban situations, hopping up curbs is useful. Can't do that in ultra low all the time.

Buying and M3 is paying for the performance but not the car quality. It's decent looking inside but not luxurious. Fake leather? Meh. I'm not sure it's worth it. I definitely can see buying a 35k M3, but I'm wrestling with the idea of a $79k version as I'd probably order it. At that price range, the iPace is slower but so much nicer and with a nicer service experience.

I'll wait until all the hubbub has died down, when the iPace arrives for my wife, and when the M3 has been through some revising. Maybe it'll have ventilated seats too. Then I can decide what I want. I don't want to buy a car and feel the need to replace it in 2-3 years. I want an EV for the long term.
Here in Europe the choice is easier. Model 3 is still long away. Model S and x are a lot more expensive. So the ipace is the best choice. (Not considering Tesla's superchargers). But we have more CCS chargers then superchargers. So

I already test drove the ipace 2 times. And I am completely sold. Nice ride. More then fast enough. Very nice interior. And the adaptive cruise with the lane assist is good enough for me as a medium auto pilot.
I am a control freak. So I rather have the steering wheel in my hands 🙂
I-PaceDave, wilco and phila like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-06-2018, 02:23 PM

The Model 3 has attractive specs and pricing. But I would totally never get one because I find the dashboard, a blank Ikea-style wood strip, combined with the huge control screen off to the side, hideous and repulsive.
post #25 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-06-2018, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengalRune View Post
The Model 3 has attractive specs and pricing. But I would totally never get one because I find the dashboard, a blank Ikea-style wood strip, combined with the huge control screen off to the side, hideous and repulsive.

Yep. Model 3 interior layout is plain stupid (non-functional) & cheap.
I-PaceDave and sciencegeek like this.
post #26 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-06-2018, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengalRune View Post
I think I could live with the crummy interior, and I could get used to the odd controls. But Tesla service sounds like a nightmare - lots of defects and wait times of months, or even years, for service appointments and replacement parts. Who needs the aggravation?
I-PaceDave likes this.
post #27 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-07-2018, 05:52 PM Thread Starter

My wife's 3 now has 12,000 miles on it. It's never been 'in' for service.

Day 1 Defects:
1. steering wheel had sharp edge. - replaced in her parking lot at work by Tesla Mobile Service (let's see Jag do that)
2. charge port door cover error - fixed same time.

that's it.

MY 2013 Model S: 'in the shop' at LEAST a dozen times in 3 years. If I could go 3 months, it was a miracle.

I'm seriously tempted to throw down the cash on a AWD Perf Mod 3...

I'm not sure if it's the simplicity or that they now have 6+ years of building cars, but it's world better than my 2013 S was.

His: 2013 Tesla Model S - Sold 06/2018. Looking for an EV-SUV
Hers: 2018 Tesla Model 3
post #28 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-07-2018, 06:35 PM
Guy

Rear seat of the Model 3 is not suited for adults. You almost sit on the floor with your chin in between your knees.
I-PaceDave and phil like this.
post #29 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-07-2018, 06:53 PM

Yes, it's like sitting on the floor - ok for little kids or short trips only.

Overall the Model 3 is a very well-designed car, with a few strange quirks. The only thing I couldn't get past is the poor service.
post #30 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-08-2018, 03:43 PM

One strange data point. I have not seen 30 Model 3's yet in Southern California AFAIK.

However, I've seen 3 with one burned out running light in the front. Probably a coincidence. It hasn't rained here much if at all in months.

Jaguar i-Pace FE Photon Red 20" wheels, "Leaper"
Two Chevrolet Volts in service
24.2 kW x 480v 3ph solar array self-installed.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page