Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

Top 5 Tips for New and Prospective I-Pace Owners

12K views 26 replies 14 participants last post by  ejbritto 
#1 · (Edited)
There has been so much negativity on this forum lately I want to try to turn the tide and encourage anyone enjoying their I-Pace to share tips and encouragement for those awaiting theirs, or considering purchase. Here are my Top 5:

1. DECLINE the heated windshield, or at a bare minimum, TEST DRIVE AT NIGHT, preferably in the rain and heavy traffic with lots of headlights. The nighttime visibility impact of those squiggly wires in the heated windshield is considerable at best, dangerous at worst. And you won't notice it during a daytime test drive.

2. Utilize the "light load" setting and set all tires to 37psi unless using the car to haul the entire family and luggage... the ride improves DRAMATICALLY with tires at 37 instead of the much higher dealer setting of 45/51 (done to prevent 'flat spots' on tires during transport).

3. Use the keyfob to unlock the car as you approach... this initializes the software, expedites startup times, and helps prevent some of the issues that might arise from engaging the car DURING boot-up instead of AFTER it.

4. Use "low" regen at first, unless you want friends/family (who all want a ride right when you get it) to perceive you as an inexperienced driver... one-pedal driving with high regen takes some practice to avoid neck-jerking, drink spilling, back and forth acceleration/deceleration.

5. Don't be overwhelmed by the number of software configurations/settings - you'll learn/adopt them soon enough. Just drive the car for a week or two, then start experimenting. Did you know/use all the setting on your iPhone at first? No, but it didn't stop you from making calls!

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
NOT a dumb question at all! All I-Paces have the "Infrared reflective windshield" - I believe the panoramic glass roof is similarly insulated for infrared heat reflection. The 'heated' windshield is a winter pack option and your build document will specify "040AK Heated Front Windscreen", probably along with "040AQ Heated Washer Jets".
Note: ALL First Editions come with heated windshield (unfortunately).

#5 ·
Thanks for the helpful post. I am likely going to pick up my I-Pace tomorrow from the dealer. A couple of other questions that I was hoping current owners could answer before I take ownership:

1. What is currently the most updated software version and how do we check he version within the infotainment system. I think it would be good to make sure the software is up to date before taking ownership

2. This seems like a weird question but for those that have had the black screen issues, what’s the best way to trigger the blank screens. I would like to try and reproduce the problem at the dealership before taking the car home so that they can address it

3. I had read that there was a recall on some of the struts due to banging noises. What’s the best way to check for the noise? Speed bumps, pot holes, etc?

Any useful info is appreciated

#8 · (Edited)
After initial setup with your phone apps, get a data-micro-sim for the car to access all the services available - a slot in the back of the centre console. Also, the Apple car play requires an additional Lightning to USB cable. And for the map updates you will have to have at least a 32 GB USB 3.0 compliant memory stick.

#6 ·
I know version S18D is out for infotainment. I heard a mention of S19A and will know for sure in the next day or two as I expect my car back from dealer (in for paint work, not "issues").
I've NOT had the black screens, but I'd recommend attempting to 'abuse' the operating system by getting in and attempting to use functionality BEFORE everything boots up (hence my recommendation above to unlock with keyfob as you approach to begin the bootup process, unless of course you're attempting to create an issue). Even as you open the doors, the screens start warming up, so the faster you can 'attack' (attempt a function) the better. Then turn off, back, on, off, back on, just as if you wanted to destroy a computer. Otherwise, just attempting 'odd' tasks like starting to backup, canceling backup screen and attempting other functions while backing up. Stuff that any good programmer would have devised as 'extremely remote' pathways of use for system testing.
I've also NOT had the strut noise issue but it is an identified and numbered issue. Speed bumps seem to be the main cause of the noise from what I've read. You can search this forum's posts for more details.

Hope that helps and enjoy your new I-Pace!

#7 ·
Thanks for your input.

I'll be honest, I was super, super excited about my purchase, been wanting to order one for months (my wife was finally like "Just shut up and buy one already" - of course I talk about it more now than I did before I ordered it, to her chagrin).

But with all the negativity on this particular forum, I'd almost come to question myself, and have remorse, to the point I almost cancelled my order and ate the loss on the deposit. It's nice to hear that some people do actually enjoy these cars, that they aren't all one big dumpster fire. I almost fell into the sample-bias trap of this forum. Thank you for restoring much of my excitement.

#22 · (Edited)
Not to worry! I drove a Tesla Model S P90D and dumped it last November after enduring two years of Elon's hyperbole. I've never been happier with a new car than the I-Pace. Forums are kinda like newspapers. They tend to report nothing but bad news when the good news far outweighs the bad in the real world. Let your car boot up before you drive off (HINT: map displayed on dashboard), and I suspect you'll never experience a problem. We haven't.

#9 ·
I love my I-pace. Despite the buggy/slow infotainment system, its without question the best car I have ever owned. This is the first year of the first series of an electric car from an ICE manufacturer. Honestly, if people weren't expecting a few bugs then they were not being realistic. Privately ask early adopters of any of the Tesla cars and they will have similar frustrations.

I am not a car freak, but I legitimately wake up in the morning excited to drive to work, and wish every trip was 5 minutes longer so I could enjoy my i pace experience just a little more. It drives so smoothly and sporty at the same time. The interior is luxurious and comfortable.

My main complaint is not about the car, but the experience with dealing with the dealerships/mechanics and JLR corporation. But I'm confident that will get better as OTA updates become available and they get more experience with EV's. I completely sympathize with those who have had one issue after another. I would be livid if I spent this type of money and couldn't enjoy my car, but i do believe that is a small minority.

My tip: I use the lower screen for radio (although i wish there were more information about musician, song...etc.) and the upper screen for Apply play. For seat heating and temp control I use the knobs.

#13 ·
I haven’t had any issues with mine either aside from the complaints of a slow infotainment system. I have the heated windshield and I love it being in Canada with all our snow and frost. Visibility isn’t an issue for me at night either although some might be more sensitive to seeing the wires.

As the temperature slowly warms up I am falling in love with the car all over again. As I only have the Performance Summer tires on my 22” wheels, when it is below freezing the rubber gets harder and is actually dangerous on any sort of slush or snow. Now that it is warming up the ride is getting even more soft and compliant as the rubber gets squishier (is that a word?). Zipping around is addictive and I am worried about the safety of my license...

These forums are a bit of a quagmire of hostility so don’t let it put you off purchasing your new ride—you will love it!

Tim

#15 ·
It's relatively intuitive, but the sequence is (button at bottom of screen) SETTINGS, then icon for ALL SETTINGS then scroll down menu to find Software Update. You'll need an internet connection (I entered PW for home wifi elsewhere in the system) to actually GET OTA updates when made available, but this screen will tell you the version(s) of Infotainment and Telematics that you have.

#16 ·
Looks like I'm on S19A_19.07.2-312706. Dealer installed it. Both they and my JLR case manager told me that OTA updates still aren't happening. However my case manager told me that they were just recently trained on handling OTA update cases so he think they're going to start soon, he just doesn't know when.

#17 ·
I do not have a heated windshield, but just a regular one. Do you have any recommendations as to where to place an internal windshield Toll (EZ pass) transmitter? They normally recommend it to be near the rear view mirror -- just below or an inch on the side, from the stem of the rear view mirror. I would appreciate any one who has successfully used this to please shed some light.

#20 ·
I just got 2 more toll road violation tickets by mail today... despite using a SunPass. Obviously RF transmission through the solar attenuating windshield is a problem. I just read the ryzvy 12:51 post here, and plan to try its recommendation. Explains the GDO problem, too. Sure hope it solves the toll transponder issue (the GDO thing is temporary - and HomeLink works just fine).

#27 ·
I had to visit the local NC Quickpass( similar to EZPass) main store in Raleigh, NC, to confirm the transponder would work if placed in the dotted area near the rear view mirror. Alas, it just did not read the internal transponder at all, and the expert there said I has to get an external transponder. I had to get the front license plate installed and then attached the transponder to it. Hope this works -- will confirm this weekend as I am driving to DC.

#26 ·
Hello .... I’ve got a white HSE since end of February. Caught a terrible flu so wasn’t out and about much in March. Just experienced a somewhat terrible issue last weekend ... backed out of my parking spot in a very busy place and car would NOT move forward. Tried many different times ... changed gears, made sure parking brake was not engaged, turned off and on, kind people pushed me back into my parking spot and I sat and sat waiting for a tow truck. After about 30 minutes, car started to move forward again

Any ideas what happened so I can avoid this ever occuring again ?? I do have a service appointment next week,

PS this is not my first EV

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.