I-Pace Thermal Management - Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-27-2017, 12:19 PM Thread Starter

I-Pace Thermal Management

If anyone's interested, here's a video of how the I-Pace concept's thermal management system works. Heating the cabin with the motor would increase the car's range and I think Tesla is doing something similar. Makes sense especially for those in colder climates.

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-27-2017, 02:36 PM

Tesla does use this same system and other EVs use something called a heat pump that ultimately does utilize a bit of power or they'll use resistive heating which is essentially something like a hair dryer or a toaster operates.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-29-2017, 12:16 PM

They even say the I-Pace can gain up to 50km more range between charges. That would be vital in the wintertime for those living in colder climates because blasting the heat will drain the battery pretty quickly. Aside from Tesla, nobody else was using this system and Jaguar will be the second.

I do wonder what the system is used for in the summer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-29-2017, 01:59 PM

Didn't think about that. In the summer time, heat is your enemy so you'll need it all to escape as much as you can from both the battery and cabin for comfort reasons. I wonder if there's a different level of tech for air condition that it uses or if it's just a standard electric ac compressor.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-30-2017, 12:27 PM Thread Starter

They didn't really go beyond the heat pump and how it cools the car, only how it heats the cabin. The intricacies of the system would probably baffle me anyways. Maybe looking at Tesla's systems would give you an idea.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-01-2017, 01:42 PM

Considering this system is something like the Teslas, I think you're right. Even just looking at Tesla systems to see how they operate could give us a core general idea of what the Jaguar system will be like. That being said, this information doesn't really do much for us in the real world of things, but it is cool and gives us more knowledge on new systems
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-02-2017, 05:41 AM
Dec

PinkJaguar : Heat pumps can work both ways, so this is potentially good for the summer too. They are more efficient as they just move energy from one place to another, rather than be the source of the energy.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-04-2017, 12:30 PM

I found a very basic explanation of how the heat pump works in the summer, with the heat pump moving heat from inside to outside. I guess that means air is drawn from the cabin and cycled outside?
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-05-2017, 12:04 PM

So it's essentially just exhausted out? But where would the cool air come from in that case?
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-05-2017, 12:25 PM Thread Starter

Probably use electricity from the battery to cool down the outside air in case of AC, can't imagine a process where the thermal management system can cool air by itself.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page