Buying or Leasing? - Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-12-2018, 07:11 PM Thread Starter

Question Buying or Leasing?

Are most people thinking of buying or leasing the i-Pace? I think the trend with BEV cars is that most of them are leased. Any ideas on what the residual values will be and monthly leasing payments?

-Ben
post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-14-2018, 02:48 AM

No clue on lease rates. EVs with over 200 miles of range seem to hold their value decently, unlike the ~80 mile cars. I don't think Jaguar will be selling these at a steep discount anytime soon, unless the economy tanks. We'll buy because we'll keep it for at least 5 years. Two years from now, when initial demand is gone and Jag improves lease pricing, leasing may be a better deal.
Stu likes this.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-26-2018, 09:40 AM

Will the $7500 tax credit be factored into the residual value thus lowering the lease rate?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-26-2018, 10:21 AM
Guy

Not on the residual value but on the price. Usually it does.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-23-2018, 08:18 PM Thread Starter

I got this U.K. residual values from this article and I also checked it against Jaguar U.K's leasing program. The two values sync.

Article: New 2018 Jaguar I-Pace: specs, prices, pics and video | Auto Express
I-Pace Residual Values (3-year, 30K miles/year):
S 55.8%
SE 55.1%
HSE 54.7%
First Edition 54.8%

This gave me an idea how much my lease payments will be approximately (including local taxes) using Edmunds Lease Calculator:
https://www.edmunds.com/calculators/car-lease.html

-Ben

Last edited by bruintoo; 07-23-2018 at 08:22 PM.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-24-2018, 08:12 AM

I've never come across any scenario where leasing was less expensive than simply buying the car, and selling it when done with it...
I'll give you it's 'easier', but I need to keep my cash my own...

His: 2013 Tesla Model S - Sold 06/2018. Looking for an EV-SUV
Hers: 2018 Tesla Model 3
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-24-2018, 10:00 AM

Buy or Lease

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruintoo View Post
Are most people thinking of buying or leasing the i-Pace? I think the trend with BEV cars is that most of them are leased. Any ideas on what the residual values will be and monthly leasing payments?

-Ben
Well Good question I'm a cpa in NJ. If it's for business we tell our clients to lease if you like to turn over cars. However there is a $7500 federal tax credit if you buy and Calif also offers I believe a $2500 tax credit if you buy. In NJ it is not subject to sales tax @7% if you buy or lease. I leased a Tesla S $5000 down and the payments were $1150 per month for 3 years 12,000 miles on a $ 102,000 msrp vehicle. Depending on the demand Jaguar may or may not offer good lease incentives. I hope they do. Does anyone have any numbers ? My msrp is 85K
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-24-2018, 12:57 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katatonic View Post
Well Good question I'm a cpa in NJ. If it's for business we tell our clients to lease if you like to turn over cars. However there is a $7500 federal tax credit if you buy and Calif also offers I believe a $2500 tax credit if you buy. In NJ it is not subject to sales tax @7% if you buy or lease. I leased a Tesla S $5000 down and the payments were $1150 per month for 3 years 12,000 miles on a $ 102,000 msrp vehicle. Depending on the demand Jaguar may or may not offer good lease incentives. I hope they do. Does anyone have any numbers ? My msrp is 85K
The Federal Tax incentive is deducted from the capitalized cost of the car when leasing. The CA Clean Air Rebate incentive is for lease or buying a car. CA gives you an actual rebate check. There are also income requirements. Most utilities' rebates are also good for leased or owned car. Just got to show proof of registration.
-Ben

Last edited by bruintoo; 07-24-2018 at 01:00 PM.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-25-2018, 02:33 AM

I've had good leases from BMW, Fiat, and Chevy, where the lease is much cheaper than buying. The CPO BMW I bought was as expensive as just leasing the same car new, so that was a bad idea. Our Subaru Forester has barely depreciated for the 4.5 years we've owned it, but lease vs buy would have been a wash since their lease deals are generally good. For my FR-S, it's plummeting value has leveled off, but I don't expect to sell it or buy a replacement anytime soon.

So, in the end, lease vs buy depends on the deals.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-22-2018, 07:15 PM

Just got done talking to my dealer. My car is built, on the boat, past the panama canal about 3 weeks from delivery. Very unsure if I am going to go thru with this deal. I was Very unhappy to find out that the lease deal on my fully loaded 85k HSE --just plain stinks. The money factor is thru the roof at .00349 and the residual sucks at 44%. At 10k miles, for a 36 month lease I am looking at 1500.00 a month. I can lease a Tesla S, 75D with a 77,000.00 msrp for 900.00 a month for the same terms. This I Pace lease should be in the ballpark of 1000-1100.00,(even that is High) but they are offering No incentives what so ever. They also told me this lease was With the 7500.00 federal rebate coming off the MSRP. I am paying full price for the car. You would think that for being the Guinea Pig and buying an untested, unknown, car there should at least be SOME attempt by Jaguar to be competitive. Not asking for a Deal-just asking them to be competitive. They seem to think getting an extra 21,600.00 more than Tesla over 3 years is something customers will be happy to do. The lease was so bad, I thought about buying the car. Again Jaguar is a no-go. They offer rate incentives on most of their other cars from 1.9% for 36 months to 2.3% for 48 months. No Rate Incentives on the I pace though. They told me the credit union is my best bet at 3.75%

FYI be forewarned! unless your paying all cash for an I Pace you will be paying out your nose. Maybe Jaguar never heard the old saying, pigs get fat hogs get slaughtered. Electro

I like Big Putts

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page