I Pace Driving Charging & Mile Discrepancies - Mike Mas - Page 3 - Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum
 11Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-14-2020, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowOnCash View Post
I respectably disagree - Having been working with lithium powered military drone aircraft since the early 90's, I can assure you that lithium cells don't just quit or disappear in numbers. In addition, a car with only 2000 miles would not degrade the health either. If 20-30% of the cells were bad as you said the processor would would error out and the pack could neither be used nor charged.

Regards -Mike

Actually the cell/pack arrangements of modern cars have more complex considerations. Even without one cell failing one low voltage module can make an entire pack have overall highly reduced capacity (because lowest cell determine voltage available). So yes it is possible and yes it does happen.
post #22 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-14-2020, 01:43 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sbingham60 View Post
Mike - some other members have had modules fail and required replacements. There are 36 modules in the HV Battery. The individual cells may be fine, but modules have failed. I think that is the point. It took a while for some to prove this was the case. Sciencegeek posted this thread - https://www.i-paceforum.com/forum/47...tive-work.html
Early on, JLR was replacing the entire pack. the workshop manual has been updated with instructions to diagnose and replace individual modules.

You can compare your findings and of course we'd like to continue to see your reporting on discrepancies which are useful to the forum. This being the first EV for JLR, I would expect lots of surprises.

Thanks for the reply and information - I'm not quite sure there is a problem other than the erroneous readings from the car, Jag App and Wattcat. I did average 2.47 miles / kw on a 21 kw recharge for a projected range of 207 miles.

Even though I plan on taking her to the hospital, I'm a bit gun shy bring it in there are so many horror stories from owners who went in for the 264 update. Such as these are typical. We have to accept the fact most techs are far from qualified for this car.

Mike
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	264-1.png
Views:	13
Size:	568.8 KB
ID:	3453   Click image for larger version

Name:	264-2.png
Views:	10
Size:	286.8 KB
ID:	3455  
post #23 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-14-2020, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the reply and information - I'm not quite sure there is a problem other than the erroneous readings from the car, Jag App and Wattcat. I did average 2.47 miles / kw on a 21 kw recharge for a projected range of 207 miles.

Even though I plan on taking her to the hospital, I'm a bit gun shy bring it in there are so many horror stories from owners who went in for the 264 update. Such as these are typical. We have to accept the fact most techs are far from qualified for this car.

Mike
The skills and capabilities of the dealers are definitely all over the board. Some have had great service. My local dealer has finally developed a second technician and they are doing much better than a year ago. I guess this will be your chance to see if the local dealer knows how to service the car. Good luck with the H264 update. Mine was painless, but... your mileage may vary. I think the main benefit of the update will be SOTA enabled for a few other modules that required dealer intervention in the past. I didn't really see that 8% overall mileage increase, but didn't lose anything either.

2019 I-Pace EV400 SE
Firenze Red - Ebony/Ebony
Driver Assist Pack
Black Exterior Pack
20" 5 Spoke Style 5068 Gloss Black Wheels
plus a few extras
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-14-2020, 10:08 PM

Quote:

Mike
My H264 update went smoothly. The car was in for a while for other reasons (the wire harness needing replacement) but I think the software update took a day. They kept it longer for a longer road test to make sure the new wire harness was ok and no new error codes were being thrown.
sciencegeek likes this.
post #25 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-16-2020, 01:20 PM Thread Starter

I completed another mileage / battery test yesterday started off with a full charge showing 229 GOM miles. I drove a total of 117 miles with an average speed of 42 miles with no heat. Temperature was around 60 degrees. At the end of the trip, I drove 117 miles and had only 26 miles remaining (12%) showing so I lost around 86 miles.

When I put the I Pace back on charge with 26 miles / 12 % remaining, the battery took only 46 kw to top off the battery. this means there was still roughly 38kw remaining in the battery, so the pack was only discharged a bit over 50%. This is more than likely the missing 86 miles on the GOM.

When I divided my 117 miles into the 46 kw to recharge, it told me the cars drive train and motors are fine since my consumption is 2.54 miles per Kw, which is somewhat normal in cooler weather for the I Pace.

This might confirm the H264 update "More than Likely" just fixes the true bottom reading, so the battery can be depleted to the designed buffer space (3-4%). This might be the reason that many owners found they can run their Pre-H264 cars 20-30 miles after the GOM shows 0 miles. More than likely these cars are simply using the missing miles accumulated by the GOM's error to keep accurate readings.

Mike

post #26 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-16-2020, 02:30 PM
Super Moderator

This thread is now closed.
Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page