First real problem :( Car is at the dealer! - Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum
 12Likes
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Unread 02-13-2020, 06:27 PM Thread Starter

First real problem :( Car is at the dealer!

I guess I really jinxed myself by continually saying how perfect and trouble free my I-Pace is....I tell everyone, and it bit me in the a*s this morning

Mornings have been cold here for a while now (for So. California), with most mornings temps in the upper 30s to low 40s (F). I almost always precondition my I-Pace via the app about 10-15 mins before leaving the house.

Since day 1 of ownership, I have left my climate on AUTO 70F. It heats and cools perfectly, either via the app or whilst actually driving.

I preconditioned today at 6:45am (car parked in the garage). When I opened to door, I was not greeted with a warm and cozy cabin, but a chilled one :-O

Drove my son the the bus stop (only cold air coming from HVAC system) and on the way home....still no heat.

I drove to work (about a 30 min drive) and NO heat. Fan motor (blower) goes up either manually or by setting the temp higher, but only cold air. Even at 80F or set to Hi.....chilled air.

Dealer has no idea what would cause this! Anyone have a thought, or has gone thru this, so I can tell my dealer?

Strange too....my dealer had 3 Jaguar loan vehicles available (2 F-Pace and an E-Pace), and yet they put me into a brand new 2020 Land Rover. Crazy, how many buttons, parts and bits and bobs are identical to Jag :-O
PS702 likes this.

2019 Jaguar I-Pace HSE Indus Silver
post #2 of 14 (permalink) Unread 02-13-2020, 08:00 PM

Electric heating element failed, wiring harness connection failure, blown fuse or the car just wanted to chill out.

30-40F is considered warm weather around here at this time of year. I'm expecting single digits the next two nights or close to them. I know others would consider them warm weather at this time of year.
epirali and Deutsch100 like this.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Unread 02-13-2020, 08:34 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayepace View Post
Electric heating element failed, wiring harness connection failure, blown fuse or the car just wanted to chill out.

30-40F is considered warm weather around here at this time of year. I'm expecting single digits the next two nights or close to them. I know others would consider them warm weather at this time of year.
30-40F is considered incredibly cold for most of So. California. Of course our So.Cal mountains regularly are VERY below freezing, but not the non-mountain areas of So. Cal.

I asked the Service Advisor if we could check the fuses while I was there this morning, as this was my first thought, since the blower/fan is operating perfectly. He said no!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Unread 02-13-2020, 08:35 PM

So sorry to hear that sucketh...Here is a story that may make you feel a little better.

One night when it was around 27F outside I was driving the Bolt. Suddenly I noticed the outside temperature display start to climb. First to 55, then to 80. I was confused. A few minutes later it was 135F outside. I called a friend to see if we had suddenly had a major weather event. He was joking I should roll down the window when the temperature outside hit around 165 I told him I didn’t want to fry instantly.

So I was having a bit of fun at the confused sensor when I realized the Bolts climate control was trying to run the AC in order to achieve 72F because it was 165. I tried everything, even cranked the heat to high inside. Well there is no explicit control to turn on/off hear and cold and no matter what the algorithm decided I need max AC while it was 25F outside. Needless to say I no longer found it very funny. I have 1/2 more to drive so I have to stop, put on my thick winter coats and gloves and continue on my way....

Hopefully yours is just a heating element or a fuse, easy fix.
Deutsch100 likes this.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Unread 02-13-2020, 08:35 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deutsch100 View Post
30-40F is considered incredibly cold for most of So. California. Of course our So.Cal mountains regularly are VERY below freezing, but not the non-mountain areas of So. Cal.

I asked the Service Advisor if we could check the fuses while I was there this morning, as this was my first thought, since the blower/fan is operating perfectly. He said no!
Bummer. Sorry to hear. I hope they figure it out soon.
Deutsch100 likes this.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Unread 02-13-2020, 09:58 PM

A bad sensor is a possibility or a blocked input. If you still had access to the vehicle, you could check for the latter at the little grill in the instrument panel just to the right of the steering column.
Deutsch100 likes this.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Unread 02-14-2020, 02:16 PM

Heat pump failures are not uncommon, I had one as have others.

The heater is the heat pump. Does the A/C work?

Jaguar i-Pace FE Photon Red 20" wheels, "Leaper"
Two Chevrolet Volts in service
24.2 kW x 480v 3ph solar array self-installed.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Unread 02-14-2020, 04:26 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by McRat View Post
Heat pump failures are not uncommon, I had one as have others.

The heater is the heat pump. Does the A/C work?
A heat pump failure on a 2 month old car with 1200 miles should be uncommon, LOL

They said they will have to test the A/C. When I dropped it off on Thursday morning, it was about 40F, so we could not tell if the A/C was blowing cold, or just because it was 40F outside.

As of today, Friday 12:30pm (Calif. time) they have NOT been able to find the problem

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Unread 02-14-2020, 08:43 PM Thread Starter

**Update**

My servicing Jaguar dealer just called me, and said they found the problem. They said happily (but surprisingly, LOL) there were fault codes that led them to to a "complete failure" of the intelligent climate control board that controls the heat pump system (and all other functions of the HVAC) :-O

Does anyone know what this is?

While I'm "happy" they located the source of my heat pump failure, this seems insane on a car with 1200 miles, bought brand new 2 months ago

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Unread 02-14-2020, 09:33 PM

It might be part T4K9955.

Electronic things have soldered connections. Weak ones can fail after several to many heating and cooling (on/off) cycles.

VW installed relays in their A4 platform cars with diesel engines that had this failure and driver could not start the car. I didn't hear of failure reports while driving. VW got a different batch of relays for drivers to purchase (VW didn't give them away or do a recall). Length of use before failure was random.
VW installed relays in their B5/B5.5 platform cars that had faulty soldering. Eventual failure after several cycles caused a loss of air conditioning. Also random length of time before failure but always failed in the summer when it was needed.
Bosch was the supplier of these relays.

I also dealt with a VW B5.5 platform car that had to have its AT controller replaced. It started intermittent failures and cause "limp mode" after 3 years of use and gradually got worse. Electronics do fail.
LauderdaleFE and Deutsch100 like this.