How Long Do You Plan On Keeping Your I-Pace? - Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum
 13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-12-2020, 10:35 AM Thread Starter

How Long Do You Plan On Keeping Your I-Pace?

One of the things I noticed when people were discussing battery charge levels and longevity is how many people were thinking long term. I buy a new car every three to four years. So I never contemplated doing anything for battery longevity. Plus new technology changes all the time. How long do you intend to keep your I-pace?
Deutsch100 likes this.
post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-12-2020, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVforMe View Post
One of the things I noticed when people were discussing battery charge levels and longevity is how many people were thinking long term. I buy a new car every three to four years. So I never contemplated doing anything for battery longevity. Plus new technology changes all the time. How long do you intend to keep your I-pace?
My 4 year old granddaughter has laid claim to the I-Pace so the plan is to keep it for at least 12 years, lol. On a side note, my 2 year old grandson wants his father's Subaru WRX STI. He loves cars! So, we're doing everything to keep it running...
Deutsch100 likes this.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-12-2020, 11:36 AM

3 years MAX. I love my I-Pace...LOVE, but this is NOT a car to keep long term. Actually most modern cars are not designed, nor manufactured to last that much longer than the warranty periods, sadly. Of course you can keep one for a long time, but each repair will most likely be in the $1000-3000 range and software updates out of warranty are costly and timely.

I really feel the W124 Mercedes E-Class (1986-1995) was truly the last premium car to be built to last decades, not just for a warranty period.

2019 Jaguar I-Pace HSE Indus Silver
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-12-2020, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVforMe View Post
I will probably run it into the ground. 10-15yrs would be good.
I usually keep an ICE vehicle until it needs significant engine work. Brakes, struts, tires, exhaust I will fork out for. An engine or transmission rebuild - I draw the line.
New tech is nice, but I always ask myself "do I need it?" My wife used to laugh because I was probably one of the last people on earth to buy a CD player. Now record players are back in vogue and streaming music is the way, I feel vindicated.
Deutsch100 likes this.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-12-2020, 12:10 PM

Garage
My last 2 cars I kept for 5y (2007 Audi A3) and 7y (2012 Audi A6), but I knew going in on the i-Pace I would only keep it for ~3y. Between advances in energy density, efficiency, and charging, some features related to safety (ex: digital rear view mirror), and expecting Wireless CarPlay (important since it sounds like Apple will get rid of the data port on the iPhone in 2021 or 2022) make this car a transition car for me.
epirali and Deutsch100 like this.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-12-2020, 01:17 PM

My last daily driver lasted 17 yrs (2001 Audi allroad), which was replaced by my I-Pace. All of my previous cars were driven for at least 8-10 yrs, which the exception of my 1990 Miata (red, of course), which I still have. Im guessing I will keep the I-Pace for as long as it is under warranty, then upgrade to the latest BEV tech.
Deutsch100 likes this.

I-Pace FE, Corris Gray, 20" rims
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-12-2020, 02:38 PM

I'm leasing so depends on reliabilty over the lease term. No issues yet but if they start developing i would give back at end of lease. If no significant problems would consider end of lease purchase. Prices may come down for BEV by then so may make sense to start another lease on new car. Should be more choice too.

Love the car though.
Deutsch100 likes this.

2020 Silicon Silver HSE
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-12-2020, 04:27 PM

Just until the next big leap forward is released. I just use my car as a daily driver with no long trips, so it works great for me now. But if things change and all of a sudden you could get 500 miles on a charge and you could charge to 80% in 30 minutes then I would have to take a serious look at upgrading or get that as our second car used for trips. Of course this also depends on how reliable the charging stations become, not there yet. This is just the beginning!

2019 HSE, Silicon Silver, Ebony/Ebony, 20" Gloss Black Wheels, Black Exterior Pack, Performance Seats, Heads Up Display, 4 Zone Climate
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-13-2020, 12:37 AM

Plan to drive it into my retirement in maybe seven years. Could be my last car for all I know.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-13-2020, 02:40 AM

No horizon. As long as it works and doesn't cost too much to maintain. And we're not sick of it, which i doubt will happen.

Photon FE, 2013 FR-S, 2014 Forester, and maybe going to get a Fiat 500e

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page