New JuiceBox 32 & Pre-Conditioning your EV - Mike Mas - Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum
 12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-08-2020, 06:41 PM Thread Starter

New JuiceBox 32 & Pre-Conditioning your EV - Mike Mas

Hello All - I just installed JuiceBox’s new next Gen 32 model and thought I would share it with you guys. This new unit provides the EV owner with every function you could imagine. The unit is full Wi-Fi controlled and works with your phone as well as your PC at home.

The Juicebox provides a very important functions as it allows the user to set 80% charging levels to preserve the health of the lithium cells. Juicebox also provides detailed graphs on each charging session where you can see the entire charge, taper, to even include monitoring cabin and battery pre-heating.

In this article I’ll also touch base on Pre-Heating of GM, BMW and I Pace. I hope you enjoy the article - please click on the link below for the full In-Depth review.

Click on the link below for the article:

http://www.rotory.com/ev/juice/

Enjoy- Mike Mas

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-10-2020, 06:32 PM

Nice write-up Mike! Thanks for sharing it, also.

2019 I-Pace 400EV HSE First Edition
Corris Grey - Ebony/Ebony
Delivered 2/22/19
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-10-2020, 11:18 PM

I have this charger. It's pretty slick. Not entirely sure why I would use 80% charge mode with the IPace based on the tech talk Jaguar posted on Facebook. They made it pretty clear there was no need to hold back when using AC charging. Although that may not be the case for high speed DC charging.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVforMe View Post
I have this charger. It's pretty slick. Not entirely sure why I would use 80% charge mode with the IPace based on the tech talk Jaguar posted on Facebook. They made it pretty clear there was no need to hold back when using AC charging. Although that may not be the case for high speed DC charging.

Do you mind sharing the link please & can non FB users access the content too?
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 10:40 AM Thread Starter

Actually, since many guys commute far less than the batteries capacity - charging the battery to 80% is fast, heats the battery less, and gives them plenty of mileage for day to day travel. It also avoids the stress of topping the battery off and unnecessary balancing. Certainly 80% charging is not mandatory, but at the end of 3-5 years, will make a big difference in the batteries health and range. For the most part, if you don't need 170-230 miles, you're not losing anything and gaining battery health.

Many years ago in the early 90's when we started using lithium in surveillance drones, we fully charged and fully near discharged the packs and we were lucky to get a year out of the batteries. Years after, we only used 20-80%, and the batteries lasted for years.

Generally on Friday, I'll full charge my I3 and Pace to 100% to have the cars ready if a longer trip is needed. The JuiceBox really makes this easy now.

Here's the Article Link - there is links to JuiceBox in the story Enjoy!

http://www.rotory.com/ev/juice/
PS702 and I-Pace like this.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Pace View Post
Do you mind sharing the link please & can non FB users access the content too?

Here's the link. You do not need to be logged into FB to see it.

https://www.facebook.com/JaguarNorwa...1760860221893/
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowOnCash View Post
Certainly 80% charging is not mandatory, but at the end of 3-5 years, will make a big difference in the batteries health and range.
That seems to be a very definitive statement. While I was not inclined to argue about it, I have seen no evidence to this fact. If you wish to go to the extra expense/hassle to only charge to 80% please do, but let's keep these discussions based on fact and not hearsay, hype and advertising claims
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 03:36 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qtown charger View Post
That seems to be a very definitive statement. While I was not inclined to argue about it, I have seen no evidence to this fact. If you wish to go to the extra expense/hassle to only charge to 80% please do, but let's keep these discussions based on fact and not hearsay, hype and advertising claims
A Li battery's life is actually reduced when it gets charged to full all the time. JLR, like other manufacturers, prevent full charges for that reason and quit charging when they're at about 97% of capacity. This is to mitigate the detrimental effects. They will insist that charging to that level (their "100%") does not damage the battery.

However, nuance is important here. It does not damage the battery to always charge to full, but there is ample scientific literature showing that battery life is extended when it is neither fully drained nor fully charged all the time.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sciencegeek View Post
A Li battery's life is actually reduced when it gets charged to full all the time. JLR, like other manufacturers, prevent full charges for that reason and quit charging when they're at about 97% of capacity. This is to mitigate the detrimental effects. They will insist that charging to that level (their "100%") does not damage the battery.

However, nuance is important here. It does not damage the battery to always charge to full, but there is ample scientific literature showing that battery life is extended when it is neither fully drained nor fully charged all the time.
I was thinking about this very thing today after reading some other posts about charging to 80% and was considering starting a new thread.
There are plenty of reputable places where folks can see that the MFG has already handled the head and tail buffers of the battery. The biggest threats being Heat, Heat, Heat and age. Frequent use of DC Fast Chargers can degrade batteries over time, Storing (weeks) at 100% state of charge can degrade, but again the MFG has added a buffer. The car was designed to handle all the stress for you and it manages Heat very well.

For anyone who wants a few things to read I'll post three links below. The conclusion should be that charging to 80% or 100% is just a personal choice with little benefit or damage from your choice.
CleanTechnica has an easy read with a less technical look at why it's okay to charge an EV to 100% if that is your wish: https://cleantechnica.com/2018/08/26...an-ev-battery/
Battery University has section 1003, 1003a, and 1004 explaining lots about benefits, charging, and storage of an EV battery system. 1003 explains again what the MFG has built in for buffers and why your battery is protected - https://batteryuniversity.com/learn/...ric_vehicle_ev
GeoTab has a really good study of over 6000 EVs, with a database that looks at battery life and degradation. Unfortunately the Jaguar is too new to be in the database, but there are lots of others models to look at the life of the battery overall - https://www.geotab.com/blog/ev-battery-health/

The point is that if your car is a daily driver, you shouldn't worry about charging to 100% unless you want to worry. Charging to 80% max + the factory buffer gets you a modest benefit over 8 years, but only a modest benefit. It's really a personal choice. Your warranty is already baked into the chemistry, the thermal controls, and the charge/discharge rate needs of the car. Enjoy.
I-Pace likes this.

2019 I-Pace EV400 SE
Firenze Red - Ebony/Ebony
Driver Assist Pack
Black Exterior Pack
20" 5 Spoke Style 5068 Gloss Black Wheels
plus a few extras
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sbingham60 View Post
I was thinking about this very thing today after reading some other posts about charging to 80% and was considering starting a new thread.
There are plenty of reputable places where folks can see that the MFG has already handled the head and tail buffers of the battery. The biggest threats being Heat, Heat, Heat and age. Frequent use of DC Fast Chargers can degrade batteries over time, Storing (weeks) at 100% state of charge can degrade, but again the MFG has added a buffer. The car was designed to handle all the stress for you and it manages Heat very well.
FWIW the Jag Engineer in the video I linked above specifically said when you use DC Fast charging balancing doesn't happen. He went on to recommend the occasional overnight AC charge if you do a lot of DC charging.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page