Optimum driving mode for heavy rain... ?? - Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum
 14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-15-2020, 02:48 PM Thread Starter

Optimum driving mode for heavy rain... ??

Here in 'the Sunshine State,' sometimes that sunshine is liquid sunshine, and in mass quantities.

One of my criteria for any new car that led me to buy the I Pace was the benefit of AWD (and the adjustable height was a bonus) for the rainy times.

I figured AWD was on all the time and it would take care of any traction issues.

Then I read here that in comfort mode (my normal choice), the power is all to the rear tires (eco, a 30/70 front to rear power ratio). I know the adaptive all surface mode is specified for snow, off-road, and rain.

So should I be using that in those conditions, or is comfort (or eco) sufficient? I am not an aggressive driver pushing the envelope, although I do tend to speed in normal rain, if I'm on the highway.
Deutsch100 likes this.

2019 I-Pace 400EV HSE First Edition
Corris Grey - Ebony/Ebony
Delivered 2/22/19
post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-15-2020, 02:57 PM

AWD only helps acceleration in the rain, it doesn't really serve any other benefit. It's one of the great American automaker myths, that AWD = safer car in rain & snow. Good tires and safe driving techniques is all that matters.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-15-2020, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauderdaleFE View Post
Here in 'the Sunshine State,' sometimes that sunshine is liquid sunshine, and in mass quantities.

One of my criteria for any new car that led me to buy the I Pace was the benefit of AWD (and the adjustable height was a bonus) for the rainy times.

I figured AWD was on all the time and it would take care of any traction issues.

Then I read here that in comfort mode (my normal choice), the power is all to the rear tires (eco, a 30/70 front to rear power ratio). I know the adaptive all surface mode is specified for snow, off-road, and rain.

So should I be using that in those conditions, or is comfort (or eco) sufficient? I am not an aggressive driver pushing the envelope, although I do tend to speed in normal rain, if I'm on the highway.
Also being in the Sunshine state and having had the car for more than a year, I found comfort mode (pre H264) was fine. The main limiter has always been visibility when you get those massive deluges. There are some stretches of road with less than optimal drainage, in which case AdSR might be the best. I haven't hit those conditions since H264 was applied on Jan 2. I think going with the mfg recommendation might be best, but again... visibility seems to be the major limiter.
Deutsch100 likes this.

2019 I-Pace EV400 SE
Firenze Red - Ebony/Ebony
Driver Assist Pack
Black Exterior Pack
20" 5 Spoke Style 5068 Gloss Black Wheels
plus a few extras
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-15-2020, 03:07 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GratedWasabi View Post
AWD only helps acceleration in the rain, it doesn't really serve any other benefit. It's one of the great American automaker myths, that AWD = safer car in rain & snow. Good tires and safe driving techniques is all that matters.

Then count me among the fooled, I guess. At least with almost new tire tread (<2,500 mi) on my 20" wheels, my safety concerns are met anyway. Thanks for your reply.
Deutsch100 likes this.

Delivered 2/22/19
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-15-2020, 03:18 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sbingham60 View Post
Also being in the Sunshine state and having had the car for more than a year, I found comfort mode (pre H264) was fine. The main limiter has always been visibility when you get those massive deluges. There are some stretches of road with less than optimal drainage, in which case AdSR might be the best. I haven't hit those conditions since H264 was applied on Jan 2. I think going with the mfg recommendation might be best, but again... visibility seems to be the major limiter.
I've found that working fine also, but so far driving only in more moderate rains, not yet driving in heavier downpours or through much in the way of accumulated puddling.

So AdSR is the only mode that does instant torque changing for traction reasons? I guess it is not so common a need, except for the snow or off-road driving conditions.

Delivered 2/22/19
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-15-2020, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauderdaleFE View Post
Then count me among the fooled, I guess. At least with almost new tire tread (<2,500 mi) on my 20" wheels, my safety concerns are met anyway. Thanks for your reply.
To be clear, AWD does nothing to prevent or help against hydroplaning nor does it assist braking distance. Those are the two primary causes of wet weather accidents on highways.

AdSR / Wet Mode helps by lowering the immediate torque, turning up safety systems, etc.. One of the main concerns you should have in wet conditions with an iPace is torque steer, which can easily cause ideal conditions for hydroplaning. If an iPace starts hydroplaning it's up to fate. The solution is to use one of the modes with the throttle response lowered and to apply power slowly & consistently.

Many bad weather accidents are caused by people thinking AWD is a safety mechanism, it is not.
Sbingham60 and LauderdaleFE like this.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-15-2020, 03:23 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GratedWasabi View Post
To be clear, AWD does nothing to prevent or help against hydroplaning nor does it assist braking distance. Those are the two primary causes of wet weather accidents on highways.

AdSR / Wet Mode helps by lowering the immediate torque, turning up safety systems, etc.. One of the main concerns you should have in wet conditions with an iPace is torque steer, which can easily cause ideal conditions for hydroplaning. If an iPace starts hydroplaning it's up to fate. The solution is to use one of the modes with the throttle response lowered and to apply power slowly & consistently.

Many bad weather accidents are caused by people thinking AWD is a safety mechanism, it is not.
I would not have used my mistaken ideas about it to push the envelope in those conditions. But I did think there was an additional margin of safety added by it.

I try to learn one new thing every day, and thanks to you and all for helping me do that this day! (A fairly regular occurrence here on this forum, actually!)
John Eh and Deutsch100 like this.

Delivered 2/22/19
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-15-2020, 04:05 PM

Last weekend I drove through very heavy rain on interstate highways. It was so heavy at one one point that adaptive cruise radar didn't detect a car pull over in front of me at too close of distance. Personal reflexes did. The car didn't even show up on the display.

At one point the drainage was too poor (ruts too deep) and it instantly cut off cruise control with the slightest hint of hydroplaning. I'm glad no one was too close behind because high regenerative braking engaged.

This was all in H264 comfort mode and without AdSR engaged. I should have engaged that, but I forgot I have it.

The abundance of liquid sunshine for at least 50 miles didn't seem to bother it.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-15-2020, 04:22 PM

The I-Pace is aided by a very high wheel loading. The tires are relatively narrow for the vehicle weight. There is over 1200 lb per tire.
epirali and dtgsrq like this.

Jaguar i-Pace FE Photon Red 20" wheels, "Leaper"
Two Chevrolet Volts in service
24.2 kW x 480v 3ph solar array self-installed.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-15-2020, 10:30 PM

Has anyone used and noticed benefit from AdSR or Low Traction starts?

We just got clobbered with a foot of snow here on Vancouver Island. Local drivers slide all over the place in this stuff. I was out in the I-Pace today, just in regular comfort mode, but used the suspension to raise the vehicle and it performed wonderfully. Never thought about the other options/settings like AdSR.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page