Considering test driving one....but was wondering where are charging stations? - Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum
 25Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 71 (permalink) Old 01-13-2020, 03:04 PM Thread Starter

Considering test driving one....but was wondering where are charging stations?

Sort of intrigued by the idea of all-electric. Been trying to (unsuccessfully) find a map of charging stations in the US. Can anyone provide a link?

Looking for any and all advice about one of these, and will also do some more reading here. Never had a Jaguar either. I'm a bit concerned about the apparent lack of space for a spare tire (?), but otherwise the car looks really interesting. I looked at Tesla but don't care for how they don't support apple CarPlay.

Thanks for any helpful info. My main goal here is looking to replace my '95 Buick Riviera.
post #2 of 71 (permalink) Old 01-13-2020, 03:06 PM

plugshare dot com
Then check the CCS box only.

Jaguar i-Pace FE Photon Red 20" wheels, "Leaper"
Two Chevrolet Volts in service
24.2 kW x 480v 3ph solar array self-installed.
post #3 of 71 (permalink) Old 01-13-2020, 03:08 PM

Most will take credit cards, but the ones that don't, you can call the number on the machine and establish an account.

The Jaguar has a premium interior compared to Tesla.

Few cars are coming with spares anymore, but tires are way better than they used to be also. You normally wear tires out before you encounter a failure that strands you. And if you monitor the tires routinely, you will notice a leak. The car will also notify you of a low tire.
There is an optional spare tire kit, but you must stow it in the luggage area.

Jaguar i-Pace FE Photon Red 20" wheels, "Leaper"
Two Chevrolet Volts in service
24.2 kW x 480v 3ph solar array self-installed.

Last edited by McRat; 01-13-2020 at 03:13 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 71 (permalink) Old 01-13-2020, 03:15 PM

I would strongly suggest against the iPace if you will need to use public charging points on a regular basis. They are slow and terrible. Once in a while it's fine but if you're relying on public charging on a regular basis.. look Tesla or non-EV.
post #5 of 71 (permalink) Old 01-13-2020, 03:43 PM
Super Moderator

The I-Pace is a great commuter/city car and if your longer road trips happen to coincide with the charging infrastructure, and you don’t mind traveling at a more leisurely pace, stopping to charge every ~150 miles at 60-90 minutes/time, it would be a good road car too.
McRat, ryzvy and Deutsch100 like this.
post #6 of 71 (permalink) Old 01-13-2020, 06:48 PM

Owning an EV with big long range batteries like the I-Pace or Teslas works best if you can charge overnight at your home. For many people including myself charging is not an issue because we plug into our 240v outlets or chargers we had installed at home, and the next morning we start with a full "tank" of energy to use that day. Every day. If you take occasional road trips you will need to use public chargers but otherwise not. If you frequently travel further than your car's range then you are not a good candidate for an EV, as public charging should not be relied on for the bulk of your driving.
dtgsrq, Deutsch100 and I-Pace like this.
post #7 of 71 (permalink) Old 01-13-2020, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JagBNimble View Post
Owning an EV with big long range batteries like the I-Pace or Teslas works best if you can charge overnight at your home. For many people including myself charging is not an issue because we plug into our 240v outlets or chargers we had installed at home, and the next morning we start with a full "tank" of energy to use that day. Every day. If you take occasional road trips you will need to use public chargers but otherwise not. If you frequently travel further than your car's range then you are not a good candidate for an EV, as public charging should not be relied on for the bulk of your driving.
YES!! 100% how I feel and what I did/do with my BMW i3 and now my Jag.

2019 Jaguar I-Pace HSE Indus Silver
post #8 of 71 (permalink) Old 01-13-2020, 09:02 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by McRat View Post
plugshare dot com
Then check the CCS box only.
So CCS is the only charging station for the I-pace? I assume "supercharger" on the map is solely for Tesla?
post #9 of 71 (permalink) Old 01-13-2020, 09:07 PM Thread Starter

Thanks. I looked at that charging website - a bit confusing for someone like myself that knows so little about all this. So how long does it generally take to charge one of these (if nearly completely rundown)? Does the time vary by type of charging station?

Another option I'm considering is a hybrid, and like the Toyota Avalon but, as with so many new cars, hate the aggressive looking grilles. We do longer road trips, so, as has been suggested, perhaps I'm looking at the wrong style. I just like the idea of going more 'green' since my 'carbon footprint' has not been all that great over the years. Looking for something rather unique and special to replace the Buick with.
post #10 of 71 (permalink) Old 01-13-2020, 09:08 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by three4rd View Post
So CCS is the only charging station for the I-pace? I assume "supercharger" on the map is solely for Tesla?
That is correct in that CCS is the only ‘fast’ (level 3 or DC) chargers for the I-Pace. The J-1772 chargers are the level 2 (240v, like what you would install at home), sometimes called ‘destination chargers’ are also compatible with the I-Pace.

PlugShare will automatically select those two (as well as 110v wall outlets) when you tell it you drive an I-Pace.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page