Home Charger recommendations - Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-08-2020, 11:35 PM Thread Starter

Home Charger recommendations

Do you all have a home charger? if so, which one and would you recommend it? We have about 35-40 miles/day commute. In my home state, there are no incentives, so it will all have to come out of my pocket. Thanks in advance.
post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-09-2020, 12:13 AM

I really like the ChargePoint and it's recommended by Jaguar

ChargePoint 32a Home Charger https://www.i-paceforum.com/forum/193-2018-jaguar-i-pace-ev-400-general-discussion/5381-chargepoint-32a-home-charger.html
Hollyzworld likes this.

2019 HSE Ceasium Blue/oyster, 5068 wheels
April 2019 build date
Southern California, USA
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-09-2020, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Pace View Post
Do you all have a home charger? if so, which one and would you recommend it? We have about 35-40 miles/day commute. In my home state, there are no incentives, so it will all have to come out of my pocket. Thanks in advance.
Any chance you have an unused 30 amp dryer outlet or some other 240v supply easily available near the vehicle?

Otherwise you are looking at pulling new wire. I generally recommend a simple Clipper Creek unless you a connected device with lots of information to track etc.
jpklmartin likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-09-2020, 12:49 AM
Super Moderator

I had a generic charging cable but because of the battery issue I sold that and bought the ChargePoint unit used from a friend here on the forum. It's been great. It gives me some peace of mind that I can tell JLR that I used their recommended charger. I haven't used some of the advanced functionalities but basic charging has worked great and the app is pretty good for monitoring and keeping track.
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-09-2020, 09:29 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time2Roll View Post
Any chance you have an unused 30 amp dryer outlet or some other 240v supply easily available near the vehicle?

Otherwise you are looking at pulling new wire. I generally recommend a simple Clipper Creek unless you a connected device with lots of information to track etc.
I do not have anything readily available, but I can get it run easily by an electrician. So, is the 220v, Chargepoint is the way to go? Is it possible to use Chargepoint using a regular 110v outlet? If I get 220v wiring done, what Amp. should I shoot for?
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-09-2020, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Pace View Post
I do not have anything readily available, but I can get it run easily by an electrician. So, is the 220v, Chargepoint is the way to go? Is it possible to use Chargepoint using a regular 110v outlet? If I get 220v wiring done, what Amp. should I shoot for?
If you want to reduce the frequency of charging, you will want 220-240V option so that you can comfortably completely charge your car overnight. The 110V option needs over 13 hours to do a complete charge.
The car caps out on Level 2 charger with rates at 7.4Kw, which basically means that you only need an EVSE capable of handling 32amps at 220-240V. I would recommend that you use a dedicated circuit if you are having the wiring done anyway. No harm in putting in a 50 amp breaker. That gives you plenty of headroom and allows you to use the connector for other things, like a nice welding machine.

In terms of EVSE - that's a personal choice and a financial choice. I have a very dumb 40amp EVSE from Mustart that you can get on Amazon. It does not have wifi, delayed charge, time of day settings, or history that you can pull. So if you need and want data, you should look at something smarter - Clipper Creek, Juicebox, or Chargepoint. You will find owners of all three on this forum. Also you do not need a 40 amp or 50 amp EVSE unless you are planning to add other electric vehicles to your fleet that have higher on board chargers.

If you want to be able to take your EVSE with you, I would recommend that you do not go with a Hardwired option. Have a NEMA 14-50 plug put in (you might want to check the EVSE for the plug end it uses) so that you can unplug the EVSE and take it with you to a vacation home, or when you travel. Again, more of a personal decision.
jpklmartin likes this.

2019 I-Pace EV400 SE
Firenze Red - Ebony/Ebony
Driver Assist Pack
Black Exterior Pack
20" 5 Spoke Style 5068 Gloss Black Wheels
plus a few extras
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-09-2020, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sbingham60 View Post
...snip...

In terms of EVSE - that's a personal choice and a financial choice. I have a very dumb 40amp EVSE from Mustart that you can get on Amazon. It does not have wifi, delayed charge, time of day settings, or history that you can pull. So if you need and want data, you should look at something smarter - Clipper Creek, Juicebox, or Chargepoint. You will find owners of all three on this forum. Also you do not need a 40 amp or 50 amp EVSE unless you are planning to add other electric vehicles to your fleet that have higher on board chargers.

...snip...
Are you able to use the delay/time functions of the car with the "dumb" charger? One of the electricians I had out recommended a dumb charger and just set the time/delays in the car.
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-09-2020, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVforMe View Post
Are you able to use the delay/time functions of the car with the "dumb" charger? One of the electricians I had out recommended a dumb charger and just set the time/delays in the car.
yes the charger should support whatever the car can do. I haven't done any personal testing with the Mustart as I don't have tiered time of day electrical rates, thus never spent time on it. I think a couple of others have posted that they have Mustart, so perhaps search on Mustart and see if they are using the car features.

2019 I-Pace EV400 SE
Firenze Red - Ebony/Ebony
Driver Assist Pack
Black Exterior Pack
20" 5 Spoke Style 5068 Gloss Black Wheels
plus a few extras
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-09-2020, 10:30 AM

Yes, I too recommend the Chargepoint, but my power run from other side of the house was expensive!
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-09-2020, 10:33 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sbingham60 View Post
yes the charger should support whatever the car can do. I haven't done any personal testing with the Mustart as I don't have tiered time of day electrical rates, thus never spent time on it. I think a couple of others have posted that they have Mustart, so perhaps search on Mustart and see if they are using the car features.
Thank you for the detailed information. As of now, I do not have tiered electrical rates either, but does JLR care what type of charger I am using or is there something in the warranty agreement that can potentially void warranty?

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page