Continental VikingContact 7?? - Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By djsyyc

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-07-2020, 05:51 PM Thread Starter

Continental VikingContact 7??

Has anybody tried the Continental 20" VikingContact 7 on their I-Pace. TireRack lists only two 20" XL load rated tires for the I-Pace, the Continental VikingContact 7 and the Goodyear Eagle Sport All-Season. The Goodyear is not great in the rain, and streets with a fair amount of moisture on the surface (VERY common in Seattle, WA). Even the TireRack tests indicate the Goodyear Eagle Sport All-Season is not the best wet weather tire. The Continental tested pretty well. Just curious if anyone has any experience with the Continental?

2019 I-Pace 400EV HSE First Edition
Santorini Black - Ebony/Ebony
Xpel film paint protection (front, A pillars, lower rocker panels, door edges, mirror caps and rear)
Ceramic Pro entire body, wheels and glass
Delivered 9/6/19
S19C
H207 - HOOD LATCH AND CABLE
H213 - REGENERATIVE BRAKING SYSTEM NON-COMPLIANCE
H221 - INSTALL NEW CHARGE PORT LABEL
H228 - SOFTWARE ENHANCEMENT PROGRAMME
H237 - INSTRUMENT PACK CLUSTER UPDATE
post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-08-2020, 10:01 PM

I collected my I-PACE last month and have only really driven on the 20" Continental VikingContact 7. Approx 1000 miles to date. I have had Continental winter tires on multiple previous vehicles and have been extremely pleased with their all round performance so this current tire was an easy choice for me. They are quiet and are good on cold pavement, packed snow and ice patches, surface water and provide good traction in deep snow. Quite the test in 4 weeks! Used in temperatures as low as -20C (-4F). In summary more than happy with this 20" tire.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9458.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	265.9 KB
ID:	3255  
Zofran likes this.

2019 I-PACE HSE Corris Grey
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-09-2020, 12:45 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsyyc View Post
I collected my I-PACE last month and have only really driven on the 20" Continental VikingContact 7. Approx 1000 miles to date. I have had Continental winter tires on multiple previous vehicles and have been extremely pleased with their all round performance so this current tire was an easy choice for me. They are quiet and are good on cold pavement, packed snow and ice patches, surface water and provide good traction in deep snow. Quite the test in 4 weeks! Used in temperatures as low as -20C (-4F). In summary more than happy with this 20" tire.
[Welcome and congrats!]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 03:00 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsyyc View Post
Do I read your message to indicate you use the Continental VikingContact 7 all year, or just in extreme cold and snow? It rains a large portion of the year in Seattle so having better rain traction than the Goodyear Eagle all weather tires would be very advantageous.

2019 I-Pace 400EV HSE First Edition
Santorini Black - Ebony/Ebony
Xpel film paint protection (front, A pillars, lower rocker panels, door edges, mirror caps and rear)
Ceramic Pro entire body, wheels and glass
Delivered 9/6/19
S19C
H207 - HOOD LATCH AND CABLE
H213 - REGENERATIVE BRAKING SYSTEM NON-COMPLIANCE
H221 - INSTALL NEW CHARGE PORT LABEL
H228 - SOFTWARE ENHANCEMENT PROGRAMME
H237 - INSTRUMENT PACK CLUSTER UPDATE
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 12:04 PM

A snow tire isn't going to be great when the temps warm up.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...omCompare1=yes

Looks like another option. XL. Same size. Cheaper all season.

Load 102H can do 1874lbs per tire, vs 2039 per tires for XL. Those are at maximum PSI, which is usually a bit stiff. If you run at 35 psi and take 20% off the load rating to compensate, you're looking at 1499 per tire x 4 = ~6000 lbs of weight carrying. 1300lbs of cargo and passengers. Who does that in an ipace?

Hence, personally, I'll be fine looking at 102H tires and won't limit myself to XL.

Photon FE, 2013 FR-S, 2014 Forester, and maybe going to get a Fiat 500e
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Today, 01:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EV Cat View Post
Do I read your message to indicate you use the Continental VikingContact 7 all year, or just in extreme cold and snow? It rains a large portion of the year in Seattle so having better rain traction than the Goodyear Eagle all weather tires would be very advantageous.
No this will be a winter tire only.We have cold winters and reasonably hot summers so usually 6 months on the winter tire and 6 months on the OEM tire.

2019 I-PACE HSE Corris Grey
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Today, 10:15 AM

Yes, we have them. They work great, so far. They compare favorably for traction to the many other Blizzaks, etc. we've had over the years.