Which battery? - Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-27-2019, 08:10 PM Thread Starter

Which battery?

I often drive my spouse to appointments and wait in the I-Pace using the satellite radio and A/C. I don’t want to run the 12V battery down so I make sure the car is fully “On” and using the driving battery (I’m not worried about the loss of range on these errands near home).

Sometimes I am able to use a free Volta L2 charger while I am waiting in the car using the accessories. When charging it is not possible to turn the car fully “On”. From what I can tell it is in the “Accessory” mode using the 12V battery. Is the 12V battery being kept charged while I am using the accessories during charging? I’d hate to end up with a dead 12V because the accessories are being used without the main battery “On” during charging. Or is it?
post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-02-2019, 09:02 PM Thread Starter

Nobody knows if the 12v battery is kept charged if accessories are used during main battery charging? I thought there'd at least be some uneducated guesses.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-02-2019, 09:38 PM

It differs from car to car, most will recharge 12V battery from main traction battery when the car is on not on idle. But there is nothing that says it has to be that way. Dont know for sure about I Pace.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-02-2019, 10:19 PM

I've had the radio on and even activated the climate system while charging at a 50kW DC charger. The radio doesn't pull enough current to be noticed. The climate system causes the power draw from the charger to go up.

It isn't necessary to turn on the accessory mode to get the radio and top center display to come on. One just pushes the button in the round knob as if turning on/off the media while driving. It does periodically shut off and requires a re-push of the button in the knob. There's a 1 minute warning too before it shuts off. It turns back on quickly without the delay of an initial power up.

To what extent are you using "accessories"?
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-02-2019, 11:22 PM

The climate system runs from the main traction battery, the accessories (probably including all lighting, etc) run off the 12v battery. So the question is when the DC to DC converter is activated to charge the 12v batteries from the main traction batteries. If the 12v battery dies then the entire control system will no longer work.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-03-2019, 04:14 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayepace View Post
To what extent are you using "accessories"?
Air conditioning, satellite radio, and screens. And I have a phone charging off USB and a radar detector plugged into the rear power socket that is powered on.

Last edited by JagBNimble; 12-03-2019 at 04:20 PM.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-03-2019, 04:18 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by epirali View Post
The climate system runs from the main traction battery, the accessories (probably including all lighting, etc) run off the 12v battery. So the question is when the DC to DC converter is activated to charge the 12v batteries from the main traction batteries. If the 12v battery dies then the entire control system will no longer work.
Are they smart enough to keep it charged during DC or L2 charging in this case? I wish there was a way to find out.

I’m running the accessories for over an hour which I would never do in an ICE without the engine running, but I did it in my former Tesla while charging and never had a problem.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	D8294132-A62D-42C9-BB9F-25499E6FBE49_1575404266564.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	84.3 KB
ID:	2977  

Last edited by JagBNimble; 12-03-2019 at 04:23 PM.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-03-2019, 04:54 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayepace View Post
It isn't necessary to turn on the accessory mode to get the radio and top center display to come on. One just pushes the button in the round knob as if turning on/off the media while driving. It does periodically shut off and requires a re-push of the button in the knob. There's a 1 minute warning too before it shuts off. It turns back on quickly without the delay of an initial power up.
I definitely would not do that. That warning and automatic shutoff is because you are draining the 12v battery without the main battery keeping it charged in that state.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-03-2019, 05:57 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JagBNimble View Post

I’m running the accessories for over an hour which I would never do in an ICE without the engine running, but I did it in my former Tesla while charging and never had a problem.
I never had an issue sitting in my car for over 5 hours plugged into a 3.6kw L2 with the outside temps in the teens last winter. I also would remotely start my climate multiple times throughout the winter, especially when the temps were below zero, because I really liked getting into a toasty warm car. Never had any battery issues
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-03-2019, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dantrium View Post
I never had an issue sitting in my car for over 5 hours plugged into a 3.6kw L2 with the outside temps in the teens last winter. I also would remotely start my climate multiple times throughout the winter, especially when the temps were below zero, because I really liked getting into a toasty warm car. Never had any battery issues
Remote climate uses the main traction battery, I believe the concern is the 12v aux battery?

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page