Fast charging at or above 100kW - Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-18-2019, 12:03 PM Thread Starter

Question Fast charging at or above 100kW

Hi guys, first post here... I've had my FE I-Pace for a couple months now, don't use it much as my daily driver is a Fiat 500E. But here is my question comment. I read that on Ford's new Mach-E you could add 43 or 47 miles in 10 minutes. Our cars are able to do that I believe. Wouldn't you think JLR could try and make this sales pitch too? I have not even had the necessity to fast charge my car but was wondering if the guys using the fast chargers see this kind of charging performance?
Would also want to ask those fast charging at EA about rate changes if you would charge the first 10-15 minutes at over 75kW with the higher rate then disconnect and reconnect, would the rate change? since the car wouldn't be able to go over 75kW? don't know if I was clear??
Thanks!!
Homero
post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-18-2019, 01:22 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcuellart View Post
Hi guys, first post here... I've had my FE I-Pace for a couple months now, don't use it much as my daily driver is a Fiat 500E. But here is my question comment. I read that on Ford's new Mach-E you could add 43 or 47 miles in 10 minutes. Our cars are able to do that I believe. Wouldn't you think JLR could try and make this sales pitch too
To me, claiming you are charging a car in miles/minute is ridiculous. There are too many variables into how many kw are used per mile, not to mention the significant variability in charging speeds. It is a nonsensical unit of measure and it would be great if the EV world would move away from just as they should move away from the infatuation with ‘range’ as a measure.

Could you ever imagine a scenario in which you didn’t measure how many gallons of fuel in an ICE vehicle, but rather claimed to measure number of miles the vehicle had whether going in or out? I recognize most people pay some attention to their estimated distance to empty, but it is much more useful to focus on the number of gallons of fuel left in the car...electricity is our fuel and it makes more sense to continue to use that measure...
juice likes this.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-18-2019, 02:01 PM

Haven't used DCFC yet. No long trips yet and only charging outside where free. Planning a longer road trip using dcfc. Why don't they bill in KWh used instead of time? Seems unfair if your car charges slower to pay same as someone that got more energy in the same time span because if high charging speed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-18-2019, 02:11 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcuellart View Post
Hi guys, first post here... I've had my FE I-Pace for a couple months now, don't use it much as my daily driver is a Fiat 500E. But here is my question comment. I read that on Ford's new Mach-E you could add 43 or 47 miles in 10 minutes. Our cars are able to do that I believe. Wouldn't you think JLR could try and make this sales pitch too? I have not even had the necessity to fast charge my car but was wondering if the guys using the fast chargers see this kind of charging performance?
Would also want to ask those fast charging at EA about rate changes if you would charge the first 10-15 minutes at over 75kW with the higher rate then disconnect and reconnect, would the rate change? since the car wouldn't be able to go over 75kW? don't know if I was clear??
Thanks!!
Homero
Hi Homero, welcome! Do you mostly drive the 500E because it's smaller and easier to park?

Regarding EA, nobody here is happy about their pricing structure. The pricing is decided at the start of the session by communication with the car, regardless of SoC and actual charging rate. Then you're locked in for the rest of the session. ChargePoint and EVgo have much better pricing for us.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-18-2019, 03:59 PM Thread Starter

In the line of work I do, I cannot arrive in such a fancy car... Also as incredible as it may sound, the Fiat 500E is a tremendous car value if you have access to L2 charging where you work.

I am on my second Fiat the first one I originally got it as a "toy" and very rapidly became my daily driver, so I ended up selling my truck. As the Fiat with the seats down has a very capable space. I am in the restaurant business and I can get some serious amount of things in there... Everyone when going out of a store asks me if I'm going to fit everything in that little thing...
Well after 40K miles in a year and a half on my first grey Fiat I went where I originally got it and saw the orange one I am driving at the moment with 12K miles, so I traded it in and the upgrade was less than $3K for basically a new one... (the grey one had 75K miles) I think that was a good deal and I am in Atlanta not too many of those around.

My truck got traded for an I3 which in turn got traded for the I-Pace a couple of months ago. The I-Pace is easily the best car I've owned in almost every aspect, I was a bit uncomfortable with all the horror stories about Jaguar as a brand, then add the first electric Jaguar and things didn't look good. Once I drove it I decided to git it a try and support Jaguar's electrification jump. Still very happy and proud about it (knock on wood...)
jsimon7777 likes this.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-18-2019, 04:04 PM Thread Starter

Oh, by the way in the last 4 years of owning the Fiats, the most I've done to them was just disconnect the 12V battery to reset any malfunction readout, this was a common problem with the early models... Very dependable car, this second one is on its 2 set of tires, the front ones go pretty fast as it has great acceleration... Very happy with my two cars
sciencegeek likes this.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-18-2019, 05:04 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtquan View Post
Why don't they bill in KWh used instead of time? .
In many states you are not allowed to sell electricity because that is reserved for the public utilities. So the companies are forced to sell per time versus per kWh. Got to love regulations!
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-18-2019, 07:56 PM

500e is my daily as well, use it for everything. 31k on the clock after 28 months
Lots of fun and quick. Just wish it had DCFC
hcuellart likes this.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-18-2019, 11:06 PM

I believe it was in this forum somewhere that a quote from Jaguar that said the maximum charge our cars would take, with the right chargers, was 107 kW/hr rate for the 1st few minutes of charging, when the battery is near it's 0 miles left. This is slower than Ford's Mach E quoted 150kW/hr charging. But, it does appear you can calculate that the Jag will do slightly better miles per 10 minutes than Ford is quoting, despite the slower charging rate. I do agree that miles per kW is a big guessing game. Who knows what the Jag's low kW cutout is on the lower end? Jag has claimed ~84kW is 100% charged. I am sure there is a limit that also prevents us from using all that 84kW on the low end too, assuming 84kW is not accounting for that lower limit loss of kW.
My Ford Focus Electric had a published 23kW battery in it. A scangauge read the actual battery kW when 100% charged was 16kW(it took 18.2kW on my wall charging meter, to fully charge it, after the battery empty message came on. Heat losses should explain the 2.2 kW charging loss) . Supposedly, some of that lost 7 kW was on the bottom end limit of the battery.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-18-2019, 11:54 PM
Super Moderator

This may be a good place to repost this graphic ...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	temp.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	88.9 KB
ID:	2869  
gbillcb, wbjag and hcuellart like this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page